inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: h

Written By: tetratron on 01/13/07 at 2:08 am

:-X

Subject: Re: Top "smells" of the 80s.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/07 at 2:10 am

The smell of cheap perfume reminds me of that Pyramid Chained Echoes perfumes.

Written By: Davester on 01/13/07 at 3:46 am

The smell of Honeysuckle - The shrubs bordered our yard.  Warm summers, no school...

Movie theater lobby - Home away from home in the eighties.  The smell of freshly made popcorn...

The Honeysuckle, though, takes me immediately and directly back to 81/82/83 without passing go or collecting $200 groove ;) on...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/14/07 at 12:12 pm

this is a great thread, and it brings back a lot of great memories!!

Let's see....

the smell of my Bonnie Bell lip smacker lip glosses (my favorite was always cherry cola and blueberry)
the scent of my Strawberry shortcake dolls
the smell of the little brown square erasers that I would buy in our student store (they had a very distinctive smell....and they would crumble apart easily)

Written By: zcrito on 01/14/07 at 9:59 pm

For me, Armani perfume for women and Ralph Lauren Polo cologne for men. I got a free sample of Polo and its fragrance always reminded me of springtime and Ortho weed killer. Ortho weed killer? Yes, when I was a kid dad would spray Ortho weed killer around outside during springtime.

Written By: Davester on 01/14/07 at 10:35 pm

For me, Armani perfume for women and Ralph Lauren Polo cologne for men. I got a free sample of Polo and its fragrance always reminded me of springtime and Ortho weed killer. Ortho weed killer? Yes, when I was a kid dad would spray Ortho weed killer around outside during springtime.

I was going to mention Polo Cologne.  I had the stuff - very eighties...

Polo was immortalized in the eighties rap song "La-di-da-di" by Doug E. Fresh...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/15/07 at 1:14 am

I always wanted, but never got a Snoopy Snow Cone machine. If anyone ever had an experience with one, please let me know if they tasted any good. I begged Santa Clause for one, but my mom said she called Santa, and Santa explicitly told her Snoopy Snow Cone machines were stupid and messy and i would be much happier with a sled. (I wasn't)

I had a Snoopy Snow Cone machine when I was young.....infact, I have one now...I found a near mint condition one at Goodwill.  They were awesome! You would put ice cubes in and crank them till they got slushy...then you would scoop out the ice with a tiny shovel...and then drip flavoring over top of them, in a little paper cup. They were/are awesome!

Written By: Davester on 01/15/07 at 7:19 am

Hey Doug E Fresh did the theme song to Ghostbusters II. "Spirit" Okay song.

I thougt of some more 80's smells.

Pushups. In my neigborhood, the "Ice Cream Man" would come by, and I would cry/beg for 50 cents for a Pushup. It was a sharp orange sherbet, with a plastic thing you Pushed up. i haven't seen one in a while so i don't know if they;re still around. Anyways, I would push out the plastic thing, my hands would get sticky and smell like oranges. Hence the 80's smell memory.

Playdo had its own distinctive smell, like a soapy flour/ yeast smell that would rub off on your hands.

I always wanted, but never got a Snoopy Snow Cone machine. If anyone ever had an experience with one, please let me know if they tasted any good. I begged Santa Clause for one, but my mom said she called Santa, and Santa explicitly told her Snoopy Snow Cone machines were stupid and messy and i would be much happier with a sled. (I wasn't)

Yeah, I remember "Spirit".  Okay song, bad movie...

Ah, let's see here...

The smell of a freshly opened cassette tape would take me back.  I actually used to sniff them after I opened them.  My mom says that's why I'm so f***ed-up today...

Maybe someone can help me out with this...

There's a plant, made up of stalks, that grows quite large if allowed to.  This plant smells strongly of black licorice.  It grows wild and is usually considered a weed/pest.  These grew in a patch on the hillside accross the street from my childhood home near or "tag base" which was a fire hydrant...

A distinctive scent that I only notice when in my old hood, which is accross town...

Written By: robby76 on 01/15/07 at 8:29 am

Most have been mentioned...

Scratch n Sniff - especially the pizza ones

Star Wars figures - especially my Luke Skywalker with the melted face... oooh he smelt funky ever since his disfigurement

Root Beer - they don't really have it in the UK  >:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/15/07 at 8:59 am

Root Beer - they don't really have it in the UK  >:(

As mentioned, Root Beer is not big in the UK and at one stage McDonalds sold it, and back then I never got the taste of it.

Written By: Davester on 01/15/07 at 9:18 am

Found it.  The smell of the Sweet Fennel plant reminds me of playing tag/hide & seek/smear the queer (apologies, that's what the game was called...) with my friends on the street in front of the house...

Root beer would take me back if I hadn't drank so much of it since then.  Same goes for eating watermelon.  The more I smell the scents, hear the music or watch the movies the more disassociated they become with earlier times.  Sort of diluted...

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/15/07 at 9:51 am

Giorgio and Poison perfume .

Halston Z-14.

Impulse body sprays.

Cover Girl powder and foundation.

Hairsprays...Conair and Stiff Stuff.

Shampoos that smelled like designer perfumes.

this is a great thread, and it brings back a lot of great memories!!

Let's see....

the smell of the little brown square erasers that I would buy in our student store (they had a very distinctive smell....and they would crumble apart easily)

Speaking of erasers, I remember Hello Kitty becoming popular and the erasers they sold had a fruity kind of smell.

Written By: Gis on 01/15/07 at 10:24 am

Wella Shockwaves Hard Rock Hairspray! The only hairspray any self respecting glam metal fan would use.  ;D I still love the smell of it thought they don't make it anymore now Boo Hoo.

Coconut suntan lotion.

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 01/15/07 at 6:19 pm

The mens cologne 'Polo'- makes me think of very horny 80's nights  :o

Written By: DJ Midas on 01/15/07 at 10:22 pm

Drakkar cologne.

The smell of the combination of cigarette smoke, fog residue from the nightclub fog machines thrown in with a touch of sweat.

The smell of a freshly opened cassette tape would take me back.  I actually used to sniff them after I opened them.  My mom says that's why I'm so f***ed-up today...

Me too!  :D

Written By: MLB on 01/15/07 at 11:42 pm

Avon lip balms in chocolate, strawberry, orange, lime & other fruit scents were always in the house. Every holiday we got a fresh one.
        The cinnamon/spice one made me sick!
I loved "peach" scratch & sniff stickers
had a wintertime story book that was scratch&sniff too and it was amazingly real with a cup of cocoa, mint candycane, gingerbread, Christmas pine tree, etc.

I remember my mother always wore Musk, usually by Jovan.
I first tried and bought Vanilla Fields cologne.

Written By: spaceace on 01/15/07 at 11:59 pm

Electric Youth perfume - (yes, it was Debbie's signature scent)

The Swatches that smelled (I had the yellow one that smelled like banana)

My Strawberry Shortcake Doll

:) :) :) :)

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/16/07 at 9:38 am

awesome thread!!

honeysuckle takes me back to about 85/86 (best years of my childhood)
wet cement on a hot summer day
the smell of new electronics always remind me of christmas when i was a kid in the 80's
fruit loops
pickles.. i know that's weird but i always used pickle jars to catch bugs in and it still smelled like pickles when i put the bugs in LOL
while i'm on that subject, the smell of fresh cut grass and even dirt reminds me of being a kid in the 80's
also, i don't know if anyone here used to smear lightning bugs on their arms so they would glow, but they had a smell too
my parents used to buy us those plastic pools that you set up yourself, i remember the smell of the plastic liner
also, i got a whole crapload of Heman action figures one year and one of them smelled like a skunk, i remember that
then of course there's mcdonald's... chicken mcnuggets take me back the most
scratch-n-sniff stickers were awesome!!

the list could go on forever.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/16/07 at 11:25 am

awesome thread!!

honeysuckle takes me back to about 85/86 (best years of my childhood)
wet cement on a hot summer day
the smell of new electronics always remind me of christmas when i was a kid in the 80's
fruit loops
pickles.. i know that's weird but i always used pickle jars to catch bugs in and it still smelled like pickles when i put the bugs in LOL
while i'm on that subject, the smell of fresh cut grass and even dirt reminds me of being a kid in the 80's
also, i don't know if anyone here used to smear lightning bugs on their arms so they would glow, but they had a smell too
my parents used to buy us those plastic pools that you set up yourself, i remember the smell of the plastic liner
also, i got a whole crapload of Heman action figures one year and one of them smelled like a skunk, i remember that
then of course there's mcdonald's... chicken mcnuggets take me back the most
scratch-n-sniff stickers were awesome!!

the list could go on forever.

great list, Bill...you've reminded me of a lot of things from my childhood too! ;)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/16/07 at 12:02 pm

Electric Youth perfume - (yes, it was Debbie's signature scent)

The Swatches that smelled (I had the yellow one that smelled like banana)

My Strawberry Shortcake Doll

:) :) :) :)

All of the above, plus scratch and sniff stickers, Lip Smackers and smelly erasers.  My dad wore Polo, so that's one too.  The smell of Lilacs always takes me back, because we had them all along one side of our yard.  I also remember that spring had the distinct scent of the world coming back to life - blossoms on the trees and the grass coming back.  And Halloween always smelled like dead leaves and people's fireplaces burning. 

Written By: spaceace on 01/16/07 at 12:27 pm

All of the above, plus scratch and sniff stickers, Lip Smackers and smelly erasers.  My dad wore Polo, so that's one too.  The smell of Lilacs always takes me back, because we had them all along one side of our yard.  I also remember that spring had the distinct scent of the world coming back to life - blossoms on the trees and the grass coming back.  And Halloween always smelled like dead leaves and people's fireplaces burning. 

OMG, I remember those smelly erasers.  Do you remember the magic markers that smelled like fruit?  (Some kids claimed to get high off of them)  I had a lilac bush right outside my bed room window growing up.

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/16/07 at 12:37 pm

OMG, I remember those smelly erasers.  Do you remember the magic markers that smelled like fruit?  (Some kids claimed to get high off of them)  I had a lilac bush right outside my bed room window growing up.

I had the scented markers and when I was visiting my niece in NY I was surprised to see that they still make them.

http://www.artstuff.net/images/mr%20sketch%20individual.JPG

Most were fruit scented, except for black, brown and green.  They were licorice, cinnamon and mint.

Written By: spaceace on 01/16/07 at 12:38 pm

I had the scented markers and when I was visiting my niece in NY I was surprised to see that they still make them.

http://www.artstuff.net/images/mr%20sketch%20individual.JPG

Most were fruit scented, except for black, brown and green.  They were licorice, cinnamon and mint.

You know I'm probably going to go out and get some, just to have them!!!! ;D

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/16/07 at 12:40 pm

I would also, but my 3 year old has a bad habit of taking the caps off and losing them.  I could hide them in the closet and sniff them when the kids go to sleep.  :D

Written By: spaceace on 01/16/07 at 12:44 pm

I would also, but my 3 year old has a bad habit of taking the caps off and losing them.  I could hide them in the closet and sniff them when the kids go to sleep.  :D

You gotta do, what you gotta do!! ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/16/07 at 12:52 pm

OMG...we had this store at our mall, it was called, "Trends"....they had EVERYTHING a preteen/teenager in the 80's would LOVE to collect! Everything from scratch & sniff stickers, smelly erasers, pop a point pencils, glitter/water bracelets/necklaces, plastic charm jewelry, jelly bracelets, pencil toppers, scented markers, lip glosses....just EVERYTHING! I used to love going there and I would always beg my mom for something everytime we walked past there!!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/16/07 at 1:03 pm

Me too.  I loved those! 

OMG...we had this store at our mall, it was called, "Trends"....they had EVERYTHING a preteen/teenager in the 80's would LOVE to collect! Everything from scratch & sniff stickers, smelly erasers, pop a point pencils, glitter/water bracelets/necklaces, plastic charm jewelry, jelly bracelets, pencil toppers, scented markers, lip glosses....just EVERYTHING! I used to love going there and I would always beg my mom for something everytime we walked past there!!

Someone should open a store like that again...with all 80's stuff.  Can you imagine the 30-somethings flocking to it? 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/16/07 at 1:07 pm

Me too.  I loved those! 

Someone should open a store like that again...with all 80's stuff.  Can you imagine the 30-somethings flocking to it? 

To tell you the truth...it has always been my dream to open a "vintage" type store with those kinds of things.  My sister (Beth) works at this store right now that specializes in selling old Nintendos, old action figures, CDs, DVDs...etc...they have a lot of vintage stuff....BUT, my store would have more of the trendy stuff (and lots of girly stuff)....if only I had money for the overhead...I would SO do it.

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/16/07 at 1:14 pm

i'll have to add the smell of lilacs and hyacinths to my list as well
also, the fake grass you put in Easter baskets

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/16/07 at 2:57 pm

i'll have to add the smell of lilacs and hyacinths to my list as well
also, the fake grass you put in Easter baskets

Hyacinths remind me of my mother, they were one of her favorite flowers.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/16/07 at 4:29 pm

Sratch N' Sniff stickers
Scented markers
The perogies and rice pudding my mom maded.

Least favorite smells.  Stinkor, the only action figure that smelled like a skunk.  ;D
My dad used to eat sardines and onions, to this day, I still hate the smell.  ;D

Written By: stingr22 on 01/16/07 at 6:19 pm

Camp Beverly Hills cologne

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9gnMig5a61Fd3EB6uWjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12j3gqvni/EXP=1169079481/**http%3A//www.revolveclothing.com/images/campbeverlyhills-logo.jpg

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/16/07 at 9:11 pm

To tell you the truth...it has always been my dream to open a "vintage" type store with those kinds of things.  My sister (Beth) works at this store right now that specializes in selling old Nintendos, old action figures, CDs, DVDs...etc...they have a lot of vintage stuff....BUT, my store would have more of the trendy stuff (and lots of girly stuff)....if only I had money for the overhead...I would SO do it.

you should TOTALLY do that!! that would be so awesome. i'd shop there!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/16/07 at 10:13 pm

I would love to! If I ever come into some money, to be able to have a store, etc...I am totally doing it! ;)

Written By: robby76 on 01/17/07 at 6:04 am

You'd have to drag me out every night at closing time!

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/17/07 at 6:56 am

LOL  yeah and you have to carry the old Star Wars figures.  I gave all of mine away when I was 13. 

::::::::kicking myself::::::::::

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/17/07 at 8:09 am

LOL  yeah and you have to carry the old Star Wars figures.  I gave all of mine away when I was 13. 

oh if you guys like old action figures...you should see this store that my sister works at...they have all of the old figures....even those big rubbery looking wrestling guys....brings back lots of memories.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/07 at 8:10 am

oh if you guys like old action figures...you should see this store that my sister works at...they have all of the old figures....even those big rubbery looking wrestling guys....brings back lots of memories.
Those Star Wars figures are worth good money these days, I should have kept my son's toys back.

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/17/07 at 8:27 am

oh my brother would FLIP if he saw those wrestling figures. where is this store??  :)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/17/07 at 11:08 am

Those Star Wars figures are worth good money these days, I should have kept my son's toys back.

My cousin kept all of his, and he had a ton.  He also had that octogon ship thing.  He refuses to part with them though - he says he doesn't care how much money they're worth.

;D

Camp Beverly Hills cologne

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9gnMig5a61Fd3EB6uWjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12j3gqvni/EXP=1169079481/**http%3A//www.revolveclothing.com/images/campbeverlyhills-logo.jpg

CAMP BEVERLY HILLS!!  I loved that store.  I had the James Dean t-shirt and literally wore it out. 

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/17/07 at 11:14 am

What the FECK!?

XDD Smells of the '80s?

Well, when I saw the title, I thought of scratch-n-sniff stickers... o_O

Written By: karen on 01/17/07 at 11:40 am

Fahrenheit aftershave

Chic Impulse body spray

Geranium plants

Written By: Gis on 01/17/07 at 4:25 pm

My other half sold all of his for peanuts and has been spending a fortune rebuilding his collection over the last 10 years.  ::)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/17/07 at 6:47 pm

Smelling my mom's Soft & Dry deodorant spray in the air.

My Dad's hands after he would come home from the operating room and it would have that strong Dial soap smell to them.

My Mom's perfumes - Calvin Klein's Obsession, Christion Dior's Poison, etc.

And yes, Scratch n' Sniff stickers fascinated me! I also had a Bambi book that had Scratch n' Sniff stuff - and those scents were STRONG!

Mr. Sketch Markers - Ultra smelly!

Play Doh and silly puddy

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/17/07 at 7:01 pm

oh my brother would FLIP if he saw those wrestling figures. where is this store??  :)

In Pennsylvania....not far from Pittsburgh.

Written By: robby76 on 01/17/07 at 10:24 pm

Play Doh and silly puddy

Play Doh smelt so good you almost wanted to eat the stuff!  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/17/07 at 10:29 pm

;D

I can't believe how many people answered this thread. Smells really bring us back!!

Thanks Quirk for the Snoopy Snow cone machine update. What was the flavoring? Was it just like a sugary cherry like kool aid?
I tried making ice slushee with my moms metal meat tenderizer, (square spikey hammer thing) by wrapping ice cubes in saran wrap,
and beating them and adding kool aid.

Have you ever had one of those snocones at a fair/carnival? That's kind of what it tasted like...and oh, BTW they make these cool slushee machines now...my parents have one (they bought it for like $15 at Walmart)....and they have containers of different flavor syrups that you just squirt onto the crushed ice....it's magnificent!! ;) :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/18/07 at 12:37 am

#4. McDonalds with ciggarette smoke. "Nic-donalds" My neighbor would take me there for a happy meal, down three Pall-malls, and I would get a little ring with grimace, the purple gumdrop beast, that spun around when you blew on it.

I didn't smoke.  The rest of the crowd did.  I'd hang out at Mickey-D's with them after school, and never get the odor of cigarette smoke and fried food out of my wool coat!
::)

For my top 5, hmmm--
1. Paul Mitchell super-hold hair gel (the only brand that did the trick for my spikes!), Aqua-Net too, but it didn't work, had to use too much!
2. The skin lotion my 1st girlfriend used to use.  I don't know what brand it was, I don't know what to call the scent, but it's still around and whenever I detect it I get that light-headed adolescent first sex sense memory!
3. Baccardi & Coke
4. Leather--my leather jacket, my leather boots--gothy-black!
5. Those terrible car air-fresheners.  I didn't have a car, but those who did invariably had one!
(Miller to Otto: "You'll find one in every car. You'll see.")

Play Doh and silly puddy

I think you mean "putty."
:D

Written By: robby76 on 01/18/07 at 4:52 am

No my silly puddy cat...  ;D

Written By: Davester on 01/18/07 at 6:29 am

2. The skin lotion my 1st girlfriend used to use.  I don't know what brand it was, I don't know what to call the scent, but it's still around and whenever I detect it I get that light-headed adolescent first sex sense memory!
3. Baccardi & Coke

Egad...

Rum and Coke, Jack and Coke - I just can't stand that smell anymore.  I drank s-o-o-o much of that stuff in the service and got s-o-o-o sick, and puked s-o-o-o much, and woke up in s-o-o-o many strange places...

Rum/Jack and Coke has got to be the worst...

Written By: robby76 on 01/18/07 at 8:09 am

JD and coke makes me retch too.

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/18/07 at 9:11 am

http://hame.ca/news/pictures/slicesoflife/puke.gif

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/18/07 at 10:31 am

Egad...

Rum and Coke, Jack and Coke - I just can't stand that smell anymore.  I drank s-o-o-o much of that stuff in the service and got s-o-o-o sick, and puked s-o-o-o much, and woke up in s-o-o-o many strange places...

Rum/Jack and Coke has got to be the worst...

Jim Beam and coke, just the thought of the stuff makes my stomach churn. 

Written By: karen on 01/18/07 at 11:13 am

Patchouli Oil reminds me of being in the 5th year (age15) and the gang who I hung out with at that time.  Two or three of the guys wore the stuff

Written By: Davester on 01/18/07 at 4:38 pm

http://hame.ca/news/pictures/slicesoflife/puke.gif

That's a beauty..! ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/18/07 at 4:41 pm

No, I meant "puddy" as that's how I spelled it then  ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/18/07 at 4:47 pm

The smell of the bubblegum in Garbage Pail kids card packs

The smell of my aunt's car. She once spilled milk in the back seat, and the smell never quite went away. I swear it was rancid!

Written By: DJ Rage on 01/29/07 at 12:19 pm

Obsession by Calvin Kline perfume. I loved smelling that on a woman.

Written By: Tam on 01/29/07 at 3:04 pm

Love's Baby Soft perfume

Anything Lavendar reminds me of my Gramma

Final Net liquid Hairspray

Michael Jackson self-named perfume

I am sure there are more. A lot of the scratch 'n sniff stickers smelled like burnt rubber to me... lmao

Written By: robby76 on 01/29/07 at 11:41 pm

Obsession by Calvin Kline perfume. I loved smelling that on a woman.

I used to wear Obsession for men as a teen in very late 89.

Written By: Davester on 01/30/07 at 12:49 am

The smell of the bubblegum in Garbage Pail kids card packs

There's one I forgot...

The bubblegum and cardboard smell of opened "wax packs" trading cards.  That would be 70s smell for me, though...

Baseball cards...

Oh, and I'll trade ya a Jim "Catfish" Hunter for an A's team card... :P

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/30/07 at 10:45 am

Bubblegum and trading cards are definetly are a memorable smell.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/30/07 at 10:53 am

the scent of those rubbery jelly sandals that were so popular during that time.

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/30/07 at 3:17 pm

All of these perfumes remind me of the 80's...
Rive Gauche
Enjoli
Beautiful
Paris
Anias Anais

Canoe cologne.

The smell of getting a perm. 

Violet gum.

Check for new replies or respond here...