inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: '80s TV shows/movies made into Video Games?

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/21/07 at 2:03 pm

Nowadays, almost any big name movie has a video game to go along with it. I was just thinking that it was only for a select few back in the '80s, so that made it a more memorable and cool event. I remember when I first got the Knight Rider game for the NES around 1989, I had never heard of the TV series before. But that made me get into it. There was even a BTTF one, but it was pretty lame and hard to control, to be honest. ;)

On the reverse side, when they tried making movies out of an already existing game, it wasn't always as good (the Super Mario Bros. movie came out in 1993 and I don't remember liking it too much). Although there's a few I wish they'd done, like Zelda.

Subject: h

Written By: tetratron on 01/21/07 at 10:25 pm

:-X

Subject: Re: '80s TV shows/movies made into Video Games?

Written By: whistledog on 01/21/07 at 10:44 pm

Of the actual cartridges that I own (or once owned; some of these games came out in the 90s but were based upon 80s Movies and TV shows) ..

Coleco Vision and Adam
The Dukes of Hazzard

Atari
E.T. The Extra Terrestrial
Ghostbusters
Porky's (The first Atari game to feature nudity)
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Smurf Rescue in Gargamel's Castle
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
Tron Deadly Discs

Nintendo NES
Back to the Future
Batman
Disney's Ducktales
The Karate Kid
Platoon
Rambo III
Robocop
Rollergames
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Nintendo Gameboy
WWF Superstars

ones I used to play in the arcade
Final Fight (Not directly linked with a movie, but it was based upon the 1984 film 'Streets of Fire')
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
Robocop
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Tron
Willow
WWF Superstars

Subject: h

Written By: tetratron on 01/22/07 at 3:15 am

:-X

Written By: SharpshooterTom on 01/22/07 at 1:48 pm

I remember playing Terminator when I was young, found it hella hard though.  DuckTales was good fun.

Written By: whistledog on 01/22/07 at 1:57 pm

I think Custers Revenge might have been the first Atari game with nudity, with a release date of of oct 1982

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Custer's_Revenge

I tried to find the Porkys movie release date but I can't find the month.

Atari age says the Porkys game came out in 1983.
http://www.videogamecritic.net/2600pq.htm

I knew about Custer's Revenge, but that was an Adult game not sold in all stores.  Porky's was a wide release available almost everywhere video games were sold

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/23/07 at 2:09 am

In the "Took Em Long Enough" category is the release of "The Warriors" a little over a year ago, and "Scarface" last year.

Written By: karen on 01/23/07 at 10:06 am

Not a video game but I remember playing a computer game based on Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy in 86 or 87.  It was a text based game and very frustrating because you could only type two words at a time as an instruction.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/24/07 at 11:54 am

Nowadays, almost any big name movie has a video game to go along with it. I was just thinking that it was only for a select few back in the '80s, so that made it a more memorable and cool event. I remember when I first got the Knight Rider game for the NES around 1989, I had never heard of the TV series before. But that made me get into it. There was even a BTTF one, but it was pretty lame and hard to control, to be honest. ;)

On the reverse side, when they tried making movies out of an already existing game, it wasn't always as good (the Super Mario Bros. movie came out in 1993 and I don't remember liking it too much). Although there's a few I wish they'd done, like Zelda.

Yeah, I remember the BTTF game. Its actually one of the harder NES games IMO. Most games based on movies/tv shows turn out to not be all that great, but there are some exceptions. I always thought the 2D TMNT games were all pretty good, and I really liked the Ducktales game released for the NES too.

Check for new replies or respond here...