inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Disney Channel in the '80's

Written By: woops on 01/25/07 at 4:10 pm

This may sound like a dumb question, but I wonder why it was a pay channel?

BTW, I know it was more of a familiy oriented network with actual Disney programming not the MTV Jr. network it is now...  ::) :P

Subject: Re: Disney Channel in the '80's

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/25/07 at 4:45 pm

Well, because getting certain cable channels back then was still a costly thing, and limited technology made it rather difficult because cable was not as widely used then as it is now. I remember Disney being channel 26 for us - and that was considered a "high" numbered channel and it meant there wasn't much more after that!  ;D

Written By: Gidgxx on 01/25/07 at 10:24 pm

I remember watching the disney channel on satelite in the eighties.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/25/07 at 10:57 pm

This may sound like a dumb question, but I wonder why it was a pay channel?

BTW, I know it was more of a familiy oriented network with actual Disney programming not the MTV Jr. network it is now...  ::) :P

Probally because it had to do with the fact, that not ever had cable TV just quite yet.

Written By: whistledog on 01/25/07 at 11:02 pm

In Canada, we don't have The Disney Channel, but a similar one called The Family Channel.  It is a pay channel, not available through basic cable

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/26/07 at 4:14 pm

Well, because getting certain cable channels back then was still a costly thing, and limited technology made it rather difficult because cable was not as widely used then as it is now. I remember Disney being channel 26 for us - and that was considered a "high" numbered channel and it meant there wasn't much more after that!  ;D

Yeah, was really glad when we first got cable in the mid '90s. The funny thing was that, at first we only got about 25 channels, and I thought that was alot. Now we get over 100 ;D

We didn't get The Disney Channel around here until the late '90s, at which point I had very little interest in watching it.

Subject: Disney Channel in the '80's

Written By: Dude111 on 02/24/18 at 7:05 am

I remember watching the disney channel on satelite in the eighties.

Ahh you guys had C-BAND :)

Yea..... Disney channel was MUCH BETTER in the 80s . Now they have commercials,etc...... Its just crap.......

Check for new replies or respond here...