inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Thomas Dolby Song

Written By: whistledog on 01/25/07 at 8:29 pm

NOTE:  In the US/Canada, Europa was released after Science and both were hits in 1983

1982 - Europa and the Pirate Twins
1982 - Windpower
1982 - She Blinded Me With Science
1984 - Hyperactive!
1984 - I Scare Myself
1984 - Dissidents
1988 - Airhead
1989 - Hot Sauce
1992 - Close But No Cigar
1992 - I Love You Goodbye
1992 - Silk Pyjamas

Subject: Re: Best Thomas Dolby Song

Written By: nally on 01/25/07 at 10:55 pm

She Blinded Me With Science...that's the only one of his songs I know, hence it gets my vote. O0

Written By: Henk on 01/27/07 at 2:54 am

I Love You: Goodbye is a pretty good song (I'm sure KKay will agree). :)

btw: did you know that Thomas Dolby is not his real name? (* hint *)

Written By: whistledog on 01/27/07 at 2:56 am

I Love You: Goodbye is a pretty good song (I'm sure KKay will agree). :)

btw: did you know that Thomas Dolby is not his real name? (* hint *)

Thomas Morgan Robertson.  The Dolby comes from Dolby Laboratories, which I believed he ended up in court over, cause he didn't get permission to use the Dolby trademarked name

Written By: Henk on 01/27/07 at 2:57 am

Thomas Morgan Robertson.  The Dolby comes from Dolby Laboratories, which I believed he ended up in court over, cause he didn't get permission to use the Dolby trademarked name

So you know. Now revisit my quiz.

Written By: whistledog on 01/27/07 at 3:03 am

So you know. Now revisit my quiz.

I totally forgot about your quiz.  I sowwy :\'(
I will go see :)

Written By: zcrito on 01/28/07 at 11:47 am

I never knew that. The rumor at the time "She Blinded Me With Science" was out was that his dad was the founder of Dolby Laboratories.

A quick check of Wikipedia also says some other things I didn't know:

Perhaps his most popular side-gig was as keyboard player on Def Leppard's 1983 Pyromania album. Due to contractual problems (they did not share the same record label), Dolby appeared on Pyromania using the alias Booker T. Boffin.
Dolby contributed the signature synthesizer sound on the track "Urgent" on Foreigner's 1981 album 4. On the same album he played the atmospheric synth intro to the mega-hit "Waiting For A Girl Like You".

And
His most recognized song is "She Blinded Me With Science" with sound samples from Magnus Pyke **...

Pyke appears on the song, and the video, "She Blinded Me with Science" by Thomas Dolby, where he shouts "science" and provides other sound bites. After the video was released, he was said to be annoyed by people coming up to him and shouting "Science!" at him."   ;D

Either way, I never really cared for "She Blinded Me with Science", and there's nothing else by him I can recall, so I can't vote on any of his songs.
;)

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 01/29/07 at 12:47 pm

Windpower

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/29/07 at 12:49 pm

Seriously, I only know She Blinded Me with Science, and thankfully, it's a good song.

Written By: DJ Midas on 01/30/07 at 7:30 pm

Other - "One Of Our Submarines".  "Europa And The Pirate Twins" is pretty good too.

Check for new replies or respond here...