inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Freaks & Geeks TV show

Written By: Banks on 01/26/07 at 6:31 am

Ive recently managed to copy all the episodes of this really cool show from Australian pay TV...I am wondering:

1. Does anyone remember this excellent show?

2. How accurate does it portray high school life of that time (1980-1981)?

3.  Is this series available on DVD?

Thanks for any info...

AN

Subject: Re: Freaks & Geeks TV show

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/26/07 at 7:06 am

Ive recently managed to copy all the episodes of this really cool show from Australian pay TV...I am wondering:

Thanks for any info...

AN

1. Loved that show,too bad it got canceled.
2. I have no idea,but i think the guy who wrote that show probably was in HS at that time,so i guess it's pretty accurate.
3. You can buy the entire season,search amazon.com or other online store ;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/26/07 at 10:19 am

Fantastic series that was never given the promotion it needed to allow people to find it on network TV.  I saw most of the episodes when it first ran, and then rented them from Netflix a year or so ago to watch with my wife who never saw or heard of it.  She loved it, and we're constantly spotting the actors in everything.  The guidance counselor is on a really lame looking show now on Comedy Central as the "naked trucker".

It was a really big cast when you think of it, and an hour long format as well.  Unless a show like that hits big quickly, it's never going to last because it's expensive to run.

The writer and producers produced a limited edition box set, which had extra stuff and more of the orignal music they used in the show.  There are some anachorisms, but unless you really look for them, they don't distract.

Written By: Tia on 01/26/07 at 11:38 am

loved freaks and geeks. it seemed pretty accurate to me, too, i went to high school in the mid 80s.

i figure a lot of people who like freaks and geeks would probably also like dazed and confused, the classic richard linklater movie about 70s high school. which also seemed really familiar to me, even though it was before my time. I think there's just a lot about high school that doesn't change much. i mean, it's not like there have been a lot of technical innovations in the way people throw keg parties.

Written By: Tia on 01/26/07 at 11:44 am

There are some anachorisms, but unless you really look for them, they don't distract.
i totally nerded out when they have the classic atari scene and they have the 2600 boxes, not the VCS boxes! i was like, dude, they didn't have those kinds of  boxes with the fancy art right when it first came out. it was called a VCS and they had pretty bland box art for the cartridges, and then they rebranded it the 2600 and fancied it up later. but in the show the atari had just come out and there's the fancy 2600 art! i was scandalized.

and when they play D&D with the cool guy, they finish the whole game in one night. you can't play a whole d&d game in one night! particularly when you factor in all the time you spend eating paste.

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/26/07 at 11:54 am

loved freaks and geeks. it seemed pretty accurate to me, too, i went to high school in the mid 80s.

i figure a lot of people who like freaks and geeks would probably also like dazed and confused, the classic richard linklater movie about 70s high school. which also seemed really familiar to me, even though it was before my time. I think there's just a lot about high school that doesn't change much. i mean, it's not like there have been a lot of technical innovations in the way people throw keg parties.

I love that movie,then again i like all Linklater movies.
"Now fry like bacon,you little freshman piggies.Fry!"  ;D

Written By: Tia on 01/26/07 at 11:57 am

he's a genius. scanner darkly was also awesome.

what did the F&G folks go on to do? that red-haired heavyset stoner dude is the only guy i ever see anywhere else.

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/26/07 at 12:03 pm

he's a genius. scanner darkly was also awesome.

what did the F&G folks go on to do? that red-haired heavyset stoner dude is the only guy i ever see anywhere else.

James Franco was Daniel,he's starred in some movies like Spiderman and so on.
The girl,i can't remember her name turned blond and was in Brokedown Mountain and the Scooby Doo movies.
The others i don't have a clue.
It's like they were only good on that show.

Written By: Tia on 01/26/07 at 12:11 pm

James Franco was Daniel,he's starred in some movies like Spiderman and so on.
The girl,i can't remember her name turned blond and was in Brokedown Mountain and the Scooby Doo movies.
The others i don't have a clue.
It's like they were only good on that show.

duh! right, spiderman, guy. funny how he's all hot guy in F&G and in spiderman he's the guy who can't get nowhere with MJ.

by the girl you mean the older sister? never saw brokeback mountain or the scooby-doo movies. i do wanna see brokeback though.

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/26/07 at 12:45 pm

duh! right, spiderman, guy. funny how he's all hot guy in F&G and in spiderman he's the guy who can't get nowhere with MJ.

by the girl you mean the older sister? never saw brokeback mountain or the scooby-doo movies. i do wanna see brokeback though.

Yeah Lindsay.
You got to see Brokeback Mountain,i was blown away by the soundtrack.

Written By: Tia on 01/26/07 at 12:56 pm

Yeah Lindsay.
You got to see Brokeback Mountain,i was blown away by the soundtrack.
i thought you had to be gay to see brokeback mountain?

haha, just kidding. i heard it was real good. i'll put it on my queue.

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/26/07 at 1:06 pm

i thought you had to be gay to see brokeback mountain?

haha, just kidding. i heard it was real good. i'll put it on my queue.

I think the only requirement to see this movie is that you're not a homophobe.

Written By: Tia on 01/26/07 at 1:21 pm

I think the only requirement to see this movie is that you're not a homophobe.
i'm not a homophobe. my band's full of them, though. jeez. we probably just need to all hop in the sack, get it over with.

oh hey! in speaking of homophobia, the F&G guy who was in 40-year-old virgin was responsible for the whole hilarious "you know how i know you're gay" routine! weird coincidence.

there's some controversy as to whether that gag is homophobic or not. we had a thread on here for a long time where we were riffing on that gag for, like, 70 pages or something. i started off with a bunch of stuff like "i know you're gay because your avatar's a girl" and stuff like that that totally incriminated me and yet the people who didn't think i WAS gay got mad at me for being a homophobe. it's a complicated world out there, i tell ya.

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/26/07 at 1:32 pm

i'm not a homophobe. my band's full of them, though. jeez. we probably just need to all hop in the sack, get it over with.

oh hey! in speaking of homophobia, the F&G guy who was in 40-year-old virgin was responsible for the whole hilarious "you know how i know you're gay" routine! weird coincidence.

there's some controversy as to whether that gag is homophobic or not. we had a thread on here for a long time where we were riffing on that gag for, like, 70 pages or something. i started off with a bunch of stuff like "i know you're gay because your avatar's a girl" and stuff like that that totally incriminated me and yet the people who didn't think i WAS gay got mad at me for being a homophobe. it's a complicated world out there, i tell ya.

I'm the kind of girl that finds humor in every little thing,i don't think there is any topic whatsoever that you can't make a joke about.
The 40-year Old Virgin was such a brilliant movie,i hate it when people start analizying humor,it's either funny or it's not,stop making a huge thing out of it.
In fact i've been giving celibacy a chance so i might be turning gay too ;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/02/07 at 6:00 pm

Besides Brokeback and Scooby Doo. . . Linda Cardellini is on ER as Sam.  Busy Phillipps also has a recurring role on ER as a religious med student they don't have a lot of scenes together but I am waiting for the freaks and geeks reference soon. . .

The kid who played Sam (John Francis Daley) was the waiter in training in the film Waiting

Besides Spiderman, James Franco has been in Annapolis and he played James Dean on TV

Seth Rogen- he works alot... he was in 40 yr old Virgin and was in another short lived series from the creators of F&G called the Undeclared.

Sam Levine (Neal) was on Veronica Mars a while back

Judd Aptow - producer of F&G also produced Kicking & Screaming with Will Ferrell. If you look at the back of the jerseys you'll a kid wearing his name  I think Paul Feig gets his name in the film too.

Written By: thereshegoes on 02/02/07 at 8:07 pm

Besides Brokeback and Scooby Doo. . . Linda Cardellini is on ER as Sam.  Busy Phillipps also has a recurring role on ER as a religious med student they don't have a lot of scenes together but I am waiting for the freaks and geeks reference soon. . .

The kid who played Sam (John Francis Daley) was the waiter in training in the film Waiting

Besides Spiderman, James Franco has been in Annapolis and he played James Dean on TV

Seth Rogen- he works alot... he was in 40 yr old Virgin and was in another short lived series from the creators of F&G called the Undeclared.

Sam Levine (Neal) was on Veronica Mars a while back

Judd Aptow - producer of F&G also produced Kicking & Screaming with Will Ferrell. If you look at the back of the jerseys you'll a kid wearing his name  I think Paul Feig gets his name in the film too.

Thank for that,i always wondered where they were.
Anything on the guy that played Bill aka "I'm not a little girl,I'm a bionic woman" ;D He was great!

Written By: snozberries on 02/04/07 at 9:57 am

Thank for that,i always wondered where they were.
Anything on the guy that played Bill aka "I'm not a little girl,I'm a bionic woman" ;D He was great!

I haven't seen Martin Starr on anything but according to IMDB he's still working.... apparently he was a customer in the coffee shop in Kicking & Screaming but I don't remember seeing him.  He was in Band Camp but I didn't see it and some other stufff I never heard of and has two films in post-production.

Written By: Tia on 02/04/07 at 10:09 am

bill was the dude with the huge glasses? LOVE him. comic mastermind. he's so funny looking he probably won't get much work, it's depressing.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 02/13/07 at 10:18 pm

I loved that show show so much.. I think NBC did it wrong <figures> and it came out the same time as That 70's Show so I guess with Fox targeting the younger viewers, F&G's didnt stand a hance...Abc Family used to play eppys at nite but I haven't seen it in quite some time.. I know Seth was in the 40yr Old Virgin, Haven't seen Martin Starr in ages.. I thought he would have made a kick butt Napolean Dynamite.. Franco is a movie star.. Busy was in an awful UPN show and Linda< Lindsey> was in Strangeland , a cheesy thriller that I loved.. and I guess she either is or was on E.R.  I haev to get around to getting the DVD.

Written By: snozberries on 02/14/07 at 11:14 am

I loved that show show so much.. I think NBC did it wrong <figures> and it came out the same time as That 70's Show so I guess with Fox targeting the younger viewers, F&G's didnt stand a hance...Abc Family used to play eppys at nite but I haven't seen it in quite some time.. I know Seth was in the 40yr Old Virgin, Haven't seen Martin Starr in ages.. I thought he would have made a kick butt Napolean Dynamite.. Franco is a movie star.. Busy was in an awful UPN show and Linda< Lindsey> was in Strangeland , a cheesy thriller that I loved.. and I guess she either is or was on E.R.  I haev to get around to getting the DVD.

Lindsay and Busy are on ER together right now.... not a lot of scenes together yet but still fun to watch....

Written By: snozberries on 02/14/07 at 11:20 am

The show was honored by the Museum of Television & Radio at the William Paley Festival.  My friend and I went to see the panel discussion because the show had already been cancelled and we figured we would never get to see all the cast at once in person.  It was so much fun. Paul Feig and Judd Aptow are geniuses. 

We were getting autographs but my friend went the wrong way and missed Paul.  we decided to wait in the lobby of the Directors Guild for Paul to come out (they were haviing a party in and adjacent room.  Paul came out and since we were the last two in the lobby (making us look like die hard fans!) he invited us to the party!

I got a lot of pictures with the cast.  My favorite was one I took with Busy..... I sent it to my friend  with a caption that says Kim Kelly IS my friend..... if you know the show- you'd know that that was the title of one of the episodes!

SO MUCH FUN! 

Written By: Tia on 02/14/07 at 11:31 am

daaag. i'm 100% sick with envy. i love famous people. they're better than we are.

Written By: snozberries on 02/14/07 at 9:24 pm

Nah the Freaks cast was cool because they were on the fringe of fame but not yet famous. 
There's something more alluring about the prospect of fame than fame itself.

Check for new replies or respond here...