inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: u

Written By: tetratron on 02/03/07 at 6:40 am

:-X

Subject: Re: U Win a Million $$$, U must open an 80's Cafe. Whats it Like? Food? Atmosphere?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/03/07 at 11:04 pm

We've all seen Back to the future II, and we've all been to 50's cafe's around the country. Eventually I think
there going to be an 80's cafe fad. Maybe theres one near you already. What makes it uniquely 80's?

Robots/Actors impersonaing 80's characters? Which characters would you choose?

What costumes would the the hostess/ servers/ wear?

Music? That's easy right?

Food?

Decor?

Souveniers?

For me, The Servers are Cyndi Laupers, or Belinda Carlyles
For the Host/, I'd have him dress.. like 80's Micheal Jackson, or maybe like Sting from Dune,
Flock of Seagalls Hair is mandatory.

I'd serve Hamburgers shaped like Pac Man, and Ghosts.
Donkey Kong Root Beer floats.

Other tables in the shape of the Asteroids or Galaga Spaceships.

Complimentry Plastic Bracelits for the kids.

KnightRidr, A-team, Misfits of Science on the overhead Flatscreens.

At night,  it turns into a retro disco.

80's arcade games line the walls.

Checker velour seats, and maybe 80's cars, hallowed out as restaurant booths.

Everybody would call ahead to reserve the Chevette, the 80's T'A, or the Cadillac Cimmaron.

What's your dream 80's cafe like?

;D

karma for the great idea...I would totally go there! :)

Subject: Re: U Win a Million $$$, U must open an 80's Cafe. Whats it Like? Food? Atmosphere?

Written By: snozberries on 02/04/07 at 9:58 am

That is a great idea.... kay so did you patent the idea? Cuz I don't want you suing me when I open in LA next year  ;D

Subject: Re: U Win a Million $$$, U must open an 80's Cafe. Whats it Like? Food? Atmosphe

Written By: Tia on 02/04/07 at 10:18 am

:D

okay, the server matron greet-ya-at-the-door chick would be daphne "spontaneity has its time and its place" zuniga.

the bouncers would be animal mother from full metal jacket and "nnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrddddddddddsss" guy from revenge of the nerds. the jock from "breakfast club" would be in charge of security.

judge rienhold from "fast times" would be the short order cook. yes, he'd be wearing the pirate hat.

servers? jeez, i dunno. maybe the entire cast of "hardbodies" or "hot dog: the movie." tia would own the joint, be the big boss lady. she wouldn't drop by but like once a year, but everyone would hop to when she did, and in the meantime she'd be truly feared. the stuff of legends.

Written By: Doc Brown on 05/24/07 at 10:12 pm

Better go with look-alikes, Tia. You'd never afford the real people, and it'd be easier to find a can of New Coke to serve!

Now, I myself have a fantastic idea for an 80's club. 3 levels, one each dedicated to Movies, TV, and Video Games(the entire top floor ought to be lined with vintage Pac-Man, Frogger, Donkey Kong, Mario, Space Invaders, etc.) Servers will dress as every movie & tv character I can think of, from Sonny Crockett & B.A. Baracus to Indiana Jones & Crocodile Dundee. I'll have a classic 80's car show each weekend in the parking lot(with replicas of KITT & my Delorean on permanent display to mark valet parking areas). A professional DJ will be employed by day, and another by night, except if we have an 80's cover band in to play(the middle & top floors will be open in the center at night so all can see the band and the dance area on the ground floor). But my best idea I've saved for last. I plan to open this on the side of a mountain near my hometown, which is well developed & the interstate runs right by. The outside will be made of translucent colored light panels, so everyone who comes to party(and those curious enough to investigate what they've spotted from the highway) will begin their Totally 80's experience by stepping inside the world's largest... RUBIK'S CUBE! ;D

Top this idea, if you can!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Subject: Re: U Win a Million $$$, U must open an 80's Cafe. Whats it Like? Food? Atmosphe

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/25/07 at 1:29 am

What a brilliant idea!  I'd definately hang out there if it weren't too far away.  I practically live in the 80s anyways so... it wouldn't be much of a stretch for me.

I'd had that idea when I was in my 20s, to open an 80s cafe, but of course, one needs things to open cafes.  Primarily money and experience helps.  ;D  Much too much of a hard line of work for me to even enjoy.  :-[

Check for new replies or respond here...