inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Poll - Hothouse Flowers

Written By: whistledog on 02/07/07 at 9:52 pm

If you've never heard of this group before, they are/were an Irish rock band who were popular internationally in the late 80s and early 90s.  Apart fron a few hits in the Billboard Rock Chart, they never had a US Hot 100 hit ...

1988 - Don't Go
1988 - I'm Sorry
1988 - It'll Be Easier in the Morning
1990 - Give it Up
1990 - I Can See Clearly Now
1990 - Movies
1993 - Thing of Beauty
1993 - Emotional Time
1993 - One Tongue
1993 - Isn't it Amazing
1993 - This is It (Your Soul)
1994 - Land *
1998 - You Can Love Me Now

* Collaborative effort between Hothouse Flowers, Midnight Oil, The Tragically Hip and Crash Vegas

Subject: Re: Hothouse Flowers

Written By: whistledog on 05/16/08 at 9:38 pm

Over a year later, and no one remembers Hothouse Flowers? :\'(

Don't Go is still my favourite.  Their 1988 LP 'People' is fantastic!  A must have for any 80s music fan :)

Subject: Re: Poll - Hothouse Flowers

Written By: Gis on 05/18/08 at 4:22 am

I loved them, so you aren't quite alone!

Written By: Paul on 05/18/08 at 11:19 am

Over a year later, and no one remembers Hothouse Flowers? :\'(

One or two of these threads do tend to get missed!

I only really remember 'Don't Go'...and I also remember that they got their break singing it during the interval of the 1988 Eurovision Song Contest (which was held in Ireland that year following Johnny Logan's second win...)

They (like Del Amitri) had a loyal following but couldn't seem to sustain big-time success...

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/18/08 at 11:28 am

1988 - Don't Go

Written By: Gis on 05/18/08 at 2:31 pm

One or two of these threads do tend to get missed!

I only really remember 'Don't Go'...and I also remember that they got their break singing it during the interval of the 1988 Eurovision Song Contest (which was held in Ireland that year following Johnny Logan's second win...)

They (like Del Amitri) had a loyal following but couldn't seem to sustain big-time success...

Del Amitri now there is a band I LOVED. I saw then live 5 or 6 times and they were always brilliant.

Written By: midnite on 05/18/08 at 8:10 pm

I like Don't Go as well.  Hothouse Flowers are relatively unknown in the US.  I do not believe they had any radioplay here which is unfortunate because they were pretty good.

Written By: Bobby on 05/21/08 at 7:54 pm

Del Amitri now there is a band I LOVED. I saw then live 5 or 6 times and they were always brilliant.

Yes, I remember Del Amitri ('Spit in the rain' and 'Nothing ever happens' are my favourites).

'Don't go' by Hothouse Flowers is the only song I know. An okay tune I like to listen to occassionally but it's not something that grabs me.

Check for new replies or respond here...