inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s songs you used to think were sung by someone else?

Written By: whistledog on 02/12/07 at 5:11 pm

You remember how in the 80s, sometimes a certain artist sounded like another artist, and songs you thought were sung by one artist, turned out to be another?

A big one for me was "Don't Stop" by Chilliwack, which I used to think was performed by Hall and Oates. 
It was Chilliwack's last big hit, and appears on their 1983 hits collection, "Seque"

Subject: Re: 80s songs you used to think were sung by someone else?

Written By: woops on 02/12/07 at 5:52 pm

I've thought "Only In My Dreams" was a Madonna song until 1997/1998

Written By: ADH13 on 02/12/07 at 11:42 pm

I thought "Someday" by Glass Tiger was Chicago.

Written By: malibumike65 on 02/13/07 at 3:39 am

I thought that "So Alive" by Love And Rockets was done by INXS

Written By: zotsfreak on 02/13/07 at 11:31 am

I guess this one don't count since it's from the 60's, but I always thought Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl" was by the Rolling Stones.
The vocals still do sound exactly like Mick Jagger to me............

Written By: kairi747 on 02/13/07 at 5:27 pm

I thought that "So Alive" by Love And Rockets was done by INXS

me too

Written By: snozberries on 02/16/07 at 1:21 pm

I've thought "Only In My Dreams" was a Madonna song until 1997/1998

Hmmm Madonna.... Debbie Gibson..... yeah - they sound exactly alike  ;)

Written By: whistledog on 02/20/07 at 12:29 am

Hmmm Madonna.... Debbie Gibson..... yeah - they sound exactly alike  ;)

Madonna + Debbie Gibson = Madgibson

Written By: Kajagoogootimes on 04/01/07 at 5:12 pm

Well, hopefully this counts. Mix of 70's n 80's...

I fell asleep to MTV when I was 12 with the sound turned down.
My brother was upstairs playing his records.
In the middle of the night, I woke up briefly hearing the song "Dream On" by Aerosmith coming from my brother's bedroom upstairs.
However, at the time I was half awake, looking at Rick Springfield on the television (on mute) and hearing the song from upstairs...long story short, I grew up thinking Rick Springfield sang "Dream On."

....you're welcome!

Kaja

Written By: Doc Brown on 05/21/07 at 8:44 pm

Try not to laugh, but the first few times I heard Madonna's "La Isla Bonita", I thought it was Miami Sound Machine(didn't know Gloria by name back then), on account of the Spanish title and latin rhythms. I still think Gloria could sing it better!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: LittleMissUsername on 05/21/07 at 8:53 pm

I thought In Mexican Radio by Wall of Voodoo was by They Might Be Giants. :-[

Written By: KKay on 05/21/07 at 10:33 pm

this is a good topic. you can see some of this if you download music.  lots of people list the wrong artist - they just put in who they think is doing the song.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/21/07 at 5:37 pm

WOW! Let's see:

I thought "All Fall Down" was by New Edition, but it was Five Star's song.
I thought "I Can't Wait Another Minute", was sung by Janet Jackson, but it was another Five Star's song
I thought "I Want My Girl" was by Prince, but it was by Jesse Johnson
I thought  "Once Bitten Twice Shy" was by Chaka Khan, but it was by Vesta

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/21/07 at 7:43 pm

i thought 'I Got My Mind Set On You' was sung by Iggy Pop.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/21/07 at 11:11 pm

Early on I thought "I Ran" was by the Human League, didn't know AFOS quite yet.

Written By: johnny5alive on 11/22/07 at 12:56 am

i remember hearing a taylor dayne song, i cant remember the name, but it was her first song, and talk about  a wanna be madonna song!  it was like a carbon copy of the sound of madonna, even the music video she danced just like madonna!  ha! its 25 years later,  where is taylor dayne! lol! ;D

Written By: Class of 84 on 11/23/07 at 9:33 pm

Just a few years ago a co-worker and I argued about who sang "In your eyes" by Peter Gabriel. He said it was Sting, and I said "no dufus, it wad the Fabulous Thunderbirds"

Written By: Davester on 11/24/07 at 1:11 am

I used to think Save It For Later was by General Public and not The English Beat...

How about a 90s song by an 80s artist?  At first I thought Sweet Surrender was by Suzanne Vega and not Sarah McLachlan...

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/24/07 at 3:26 pm

I thought Al B. Sure! sang "You Can Call Me Crazy", but I found out that it was Guy, and Timmy Gatling was singing the lead vocals.

Written By: Lindee on 11/24/07 at 3:41 pm

You Don't Want Me Anymore by Steel Breeze (1982) always sounded like a Styx song to me.

Written By: Class of 84 on 11/24/07 at 4:24 pm

You Don't Want Me Anymore by Steel Breeze (1982) always sounded like a Styx song to me.

I'm impressed someone else remembers that song! I actually saw Steel Breeze in concert when they opened up for Hall & Oats.

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/27/07 at 9:02 am

Class of 84 are you a Hall and Oates fan ??? The other day I was listening to : "I Can Dream About You.." and thought the group sounded similar to Hall and Oates.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/27/07 at 10:16 am

I thought "I'm Not Gonna Let You Get (Get The Best Of Me)", was sung by Teddy Pendergrass, but it was sung by Colonel Abrams.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/27/07 at 12:43 pm

Somebody's watching me-Rockwell. I always thought it was Michael Jackson.

Cat

Written By: nally on 11/27/07 at 12:45 pm

Somebody's watching me-Rockwell. I always thought it was Michael Jackson.

Cat

That's probably because Michael Jackson provides background vocals...especially in the chorus! :D

As for me...

I first heard Toni Basil's 1982 hit "Mickey" in 1995 or so...and at first I thought it was the Go Go's!

Written By: Midas on 11/27/07 at 5:10 pm

I thought Portion Control's "Great Divide" sounded like Thompson Twins when I first heard it.  And Den Harrow's "Overpower" sounded like Mr. Mister to me.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/27/07 at 5:16 pm

I thought "Roll With It Baby", was sung by Peter Gabriel, but it was sung by Steve Winwood.

Written By: whistledog on 11/27/07 at 5:46 pm

I thought "Roll With It Baby", was sung by Peter Gabriel, but it was sung by Steve Winwood.

That's funny becuase I always used to think Peter Gabriel's 'Sledgehammer' was sung by Steve Winwood.  Sometimes when I hear 'Sledgehammer' on the radio, I still think it's Steve Winwood until I listen to more and then I slap my head realizing that it's PEter Gabriel and after all these years, I should finally know that LOL

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/27/07 at 7:55 pm

That's funny becuase I always used to think Peter Gabriel's 'Sledgehammer' was sung by Steve Winwood.  Sometimes when I hear 'Sledgehammer' on the radio, I still think it's Steve Winwood until I listen to more and then I slap my head realizing that it's PEter Gabriel and after all these years, I should finally know that LOL
;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Class of 84 on 11/27/07 at 9:28 pm

Class of 84 are you a Hall and Oates fan ??? The other day I was listening to : "I Can Dream About You.." and thought the group sounded similar to Hall and Oates.

I wasn't a real big fan of theirs, although I liked many of their songs.  They happened to be in town on a night we didn't have anything to do, so we went down town, got tickets at the door, and watched 'em. :)

Written By: Lindee on 11/28/07 at 11:43 am

When I saw the movie "Eddie And The Cruisers", I thought the song On the Dark Side was sung by Bruce Springsteen.

Written By: nally on 11/28/07 at 12:29 pm

When I saw the movie "Eddie And The Cruisers", I thought the song On the Dark Side was sung by Bruce Springsteen.

It actually is sung by him. ;)

Written By: Midas on 11/28/07 at 12:51 pm

It actually is sung by him. ;)

Really? ??? I could've sworn it was John Cafferty & The Beaver Brown Band.

Written By: nally on 11/28/07 at 12:54 pm

Really? ??? I could've sworn it was John Cafferty & The Beaver Brown Band.

Maybe he sang it on the dark side? ;D

Written By: nally on 11/28/07 at 1:16 pm

It was sung by one guy...Dan Hartman. He did kinda sound a little bit like H&O. He passed away in '94 I think. :\'(

Written By: Midas on 11/28/07 at 1:24 pm

Or maybe not  :D  Google it; all sources point to Cafferty.  He did a good job at sounding like the Boss though.  :)

Written By: Lindee on 11/28/07 at 1:53 pm

Bruce Springsteen had an album in the late 70s called Darkness On The Edge Of Town.

The whole album soundtrack (which I own) was John McCafferty & the Beaver Brown Band. When I first saw the movie in the theater and heard that song (not knowing who sang it), I thought it was Bruce Springsteen.

Written By: nally on 11/28/07 at 1:55 pm

Okay now...I'm a bit confused.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/28/07 at 3:38 pm

Okay now...I'm a bit confused.

'On The Dark Side' was indeed sung by John Cafferty & The Beaver Brown Band, Jeff...

...but his style was a lot like Mr. Springsteen's, and so I think that's why many people were confused as to who really sang it!  :) 

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/28/07 at 3:45 pm

I used to think 'Love Changes Everything' was sung by Rod Stewart, but it was actually by a duo called Climie Fisher... :D

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/28/07 at 3:49 pm

I thought "Tell It To My Heart" was sung by Cheryl Lynn (Got To Be Real), but it was Taylor Dayne.

Written By: nally on 11/28/07 at 3:55 pm

'On The Dark Side' was indeed sung by John Cafferty & The Beaver Brown Band, Jeff...

That I was aware of. :)

...but his style was a lot like Mr. Springsteen's, and so I think that's why many people were confused as to who really sang it!  :) 

Okay, I gotcha.

I think I made a booboo myself when I read the original post; I thought it said "Dancing In The Dark."  My bad! :-\\

Written By: Midas on 11/28/07 at 7:15 pm

I used to think 'Love Changes Everything' was sung by Rod Stewart, but it was actually by a duo called Climie Fisher... :D

I LOVE that song!  :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/29/07 at 11:47 pm

Featuring Rob Fisher (1959--1999) formerly of Naked Eyes who died of cancer at 39.
:\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/30/07 at 12:28 pm

Harden my Heart-Quarterflash, I thought was Pat Benatar.

Cat

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/30/07 at 12:53 pm

Good one CatWoman!!! Okay this is soo before the 80s I thought "My Eyes Adored You" was sung by Ray Charles..okay maybe because i was about 5 at the time...

Written By: Class of 84 on 11/30/07 at 9:20 pm

Up until I read the Samantha Fox post a few minutes ago, I thought she sang "Kiss me deadly". :o

Written By: Butterball on 12/01/07 at 10:01 pm

These were also not in the 80's but, I thought "Hot Child In The City" was surely sung by a female. Also "Laughter In The Rain". Nick Gilder and  Neil Sedaka.

Written By: snozberries on 12/01/07 at 10:07 pm

These were also not in the 80's but, I thought "Hot Child In The City" was surely sung by a female. Also "Laughter In The Rain". Nick Gilder and  Neil Sedaka.

;D ;D ;D

oh wait....so did I....  :D

Watching the video for Fast Car and listening to it... I couldn't tell if Tracy Chapman was a male or female...and because of that actor Tracy Walters there was no way to be sure by the name Tracy.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/01/07 at 10:43 pm

I can't think of any examples of ones I've personally mistaken before...but I know there's lots of songs which I used to think generally sounded like a different artist.

Like "Can't Fight This Feeling" by REO Speedwagon sounds like a mix of Air Supply and a hair metal ballad. Paula Abdul and Janet Jackson have some similarities in their 1989ish songs, or "I Just Died in Your Arms" sounds like Journey.

Written By: whistledog on 12/01/07 at 10:49 pm

I used to think the same thing.  Simon Climie is a super sound-a-like to Rod Stewart.  I think he's actually written a few songs for Mr. Stewart LOL

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/02/07 at 12:28 pm

With the holiday season falling upon us, I'd like to add that the first coupla times I heard "Happy Christmas(War Is Over)" on the radio, I thought it was Bob Dylan. It just seemed far too downbeat a song for John Lennon to have recorded, but maybe that was due to Yoko's influence. I can't stand Celine Dion's cover either 8-P, but in 1996, Jimmy Buffett recorded a much more palatable version.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/02/07 at 1:17 pm

When I was younger I thought that "Oh Sheila" was sung by Prince--probably about Shelia E. All the whines and gasps sound like something he'd sing, but it turns out the song is by a group called Ready For the World.  8)

Still a cool jam though.

Written By: tv on 12/02/07 at 6:47 pm

Yeah I thought "on the dark side" was by Springsteen but it wasn;t.

Written By: tv on 12/02/07 at 6:50 pm

i remember hearing a taylor dayne song, i cant remember the name, but it was her first song, and talk about  a wanna be madonna song!  it was like a carbon copy of the sound of madonna, even the music video she danced just like madonna!  ha! its 25 years later,  where is taylor dayne! lol! ;D
I think the beggining of Taylor Dayne's 1988 hit Don;t Rush Me" starts off like Madonna's "Papa Don;t Preach" I think. The production of both songs do have similarities. Taylor Dayne's first song was "Tell It To My Heart" I think though.

I always thought R&B singer Karyn White(well in 1998-1989 anyway) was doing female versions of Bobby Browns stuff around the same time frame.

I kinda of have to slap myself in the head because when I start to listen too "Everything Changes" by Kathy Troccoli because I think its by Taylor Dayne and not by Kathy. Everything Changes was from 1991 I think though. Kathy Troccoli used to be a back-up singer for Taylor Dayne though.

Now when I listen to "Just Got Paid" by Johnny Kemp I think its by Keith Sweat for a second anyway because the production of "I Want Her" by Keith Sweat and "Just Got Paid" by Johnny Kemp are similar.

Some of Richard Marx's early stuff sounds like the band "The Eagles" I think.

"Love Bizzare" by Shelia E. sounds like its by Prince.

I was listening to "Something About You" by "Level 42" the other day and I thought for a second it was "Tears For Fears" and not "Level 42".

I used too thing "Toto's"1986 hit "I'm Over You" sounded more like in the realm of "Human League". I mean "I'm Over You" had some synthy pop vocals going on that their 1982 hits "Rosanna" and "Africa" didn;t have.

I used to think rappers "Tone-Loc" and "Young MC" sounded alot like but now they don;t to me. But "Tone-Loc" did write "Young MC's" lone hit called "Bust A Move" I found out a week or two ago though.

I used to think for years that Sade and George Michael sounded the same but now I don;t they sound alike. I used to think Sade sounded like a man when she sung but now I don;t think she sounds like a man now. I do like Sade's hit "No Ordinary Love".

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/02/07 at 7:27 pm

Yeah I thought "on the dark side" was by Springsteen but it wasn;t.

That's interesting, I thought it sounded like a John Mellencamp song.

I know alot of people have compared John Cafferty to Springsteen, and I can see that. I think Cafferty sounds more old-fashioned though. It sounds like actual '50s music that was recorded with '80s technology...whereas, say Bruce's Born in the USA album sounds like real '80s music heavily influenced by oldies and early rock 'n roll.

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/02/07 at 11:04 pm

Some of Richard Marx's early stuff sounds like the band "The Eagles" I think.

No mistake there, tv. Former Eagle Joe Walsh played guitar on Richard Marx's 1st album, most notably the solo on "Don't Mean Nothing".

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: whistledog on 12/02/07 at 11:06 pm

"Love Bizzare" by Shelia E. sounds like its by Prince.

That's because Prince sings on that song.  His voice overpowers hers in some parts ;D

Written By: K.M. Richards on 12/07/07 at 11:39 pm

This being the Christmas season, I would be remiss if I did not mention in this thread that I have always thought Madonna's recording of "Santa Baby" sounds more like Cyndi Lauper ...

Written By: Lindee on 12/13/07 at 4:13 pm

I found this on an 80s movie site. Some trivia about the movie Eddie & The Cruisers:
"Bruce Springsteen was initially consulted for the soundtrack, but turned it down because he felt his sound was too identifiable; but he recommended the producers use a little known New Jersey musician John Cafferty".

Check for new replies or respond here...