inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Movie-Tuff Turf

Written By: star500 on 02/22/07 at 6:42 pm

Hey has anyone here seen the movie "Tuff Turf"? I know Tia has probably seen it, LOL but has anyone else? It's a really good '80s movie...it has James Spader in it, Kim Richards, Robert Downey Jr. and a few other famous people. It's about Morgan Hiller (Spader) who moves to L.A. from Connecticut and has trouble fitting in after he flirts with the girlfriend of the school's biggest bully. Robert Downey Jr. has a small supporting role as Morgan's best friend.

Even Roger Ebert didn't think it was too bad and gave it two stars. It's a fun movie to watch if you feel like watching something that is pure '80s. James Spader can sing pretty good, he sings a song in this movie.

Subject: Re: Movie-Tuff Turf

Written By: snozberries on 02/23/07 at 10:06 pm

Hey has anyone here seen the movie "Tuff Turf"? I know Tia has probably seen it, LOL but has anyone else? It's a really good '80s movie...it has James Spader in it, Kim Richards, Robert Downey Jr. and a few other famous people. It's about Morgan Hiller (Spader) who moves to L.A. from Connecticut and has trouble fitting in after he flirts with the girlfriend of the school's biggest bully. Robert Downey Jr. has a small supporting role as Morgan's best friend.

Even Roger Ebert didn't think it was too bad and gave it two stars. It's a fun movie to watch if you feel like watching something that is pure '80s. James Spader can sing pretty good, he sings a song in this movie.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE the movie.... I own on VHS and DVD  but getting stars is not really a good thing. 2 1/2 okay but 2? not so much

Written By: whistledog on 02/27/07 at 1:07 pm

Kim Richards was HOT in this film 8)

Written By: Tia on 02/27/07 at 1:25 pm

Kim Richards was HOT in this film 8)
she wasn't hot. she was a beautiful, wonderful, perfect thespian genius.

pfft. "hot."

there's actually a scene where she's talking to james spader, i think, near the lockers, and she like, kinda melts down, the lines come out all sideways. i guess they didn't notice or didn't feel like doing a retake.

and james spader is visibly bored throughout the whole thing. it's got some great camp moments though, like james spader's ridiculous serenade and robert downey jr. shirtless in a bowtie. i'll tell ya, though, she did not get particularly good work in the 80s.

Written By: Tia on 02/27/07 at 1:26 pm

rumor has it doing that fight scene and rape scene were such a drag that's part of the reason she quit the movie business for so long afterward.

it's all going on my concept album. i'm thinking for tuff turf i'll do a kinda west-side story, romeo and julietish thing.

Written By: Tia on 02/27/07 at 1:41 pm

T minus three days to the release of black snake moan, by the way.

i hope you've got your tents and coolers all ready to camp out the night before. it's gonna be a festival man!

Written By: Tia on 02/28/07 at 8:26 am

T MINUS TWO DAYS!!!!!!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/02/07 at 6:15 pm

Well, I thought it didn't even qualify as cheese of the good variety, and I saw it in the cinema!

I came back home and my mother asked, "So what movie did you go see?"
"Tuff Turf," I mumbled heading to my room.
"Tuff Turd?"
"Yeah, that about sums it up!"
::)

Written By: Tia on 03/02/07 at 6:24 pm

i rented it and i think i wandered in and out. the serenade and a couple of other standalone funny scenes are best watched in isolation, i think. good movie for the youtube clip treatment. maybe i'll do that.

Check for new replies or respond here...