inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Kim Carnes - Poll

Written By: whistledog on 02/23/07 at 7:23 pm

Save the Dancer - Gene Cotton (1978)
1978 - You're A Part of Me <w/ Gene Cotton>

St. Vincent's Court (1979)
1979 - It Hurts So Bad

Gideon - Kenny Rogers (1980)
1980 - Don't Fall in Love With A Dreamer <w/ Kenny Rogers>

Romance Dance (1980)
1980 - More Love
1980 - Cry Like A Baby

One More Song - Randy Meisner (1980)
1981 - Deep Inside My Heart <w/ Randy Meisner>

Mistaken Identity (1981)
1981 - Bette Davis Eyes
1981 - Draw of the Cards

Voyeur (1982)
1982 - Voyeur
1982 - Does it Make You Remember?

Café Racers (1983)
1983 - Invisible Hands
1984 - You Make My Heart Beat Faster
1984 - I Pretend
1984 - Hurricane

What About Me? - Kenny Rogers (1984)
1984 - What About Me? <w/ Kenny Rogers and James Ingram>

Emotion - Barbra Streisand (1984)
1984 - Make No Mistake, He's Mine <w/ Barbra Streisand>

"That's Dancing!" Soundtrack (1985)
1985 - Invitation to Dance

Barking at Airplanes (1985)
1985 - Crazy in the Night (Barking at Airplanes)
1985 - Abadabadango

Lighthouse (1986)
1986 - Divided Hearts

View From the House (1988)
1988 - Speed to the Sound of Loneliness
1988 - Crazy in Love

Lovescape - Neil Diamond (1991)
1992 - Hooked on the Memory of You <w/ Neil Diamond>

Gypsy Honeymoon: The Best of Kim Carnes (1993)
1993 - Gypsy Honeymoon

Subject: Re: Kim Carnes - Poll

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 02/23/07 at 7:29 pm

If I only get to choose one, it's gotta be "Crazy in the Night"

Written By: whistledog on 02/23/07 at 7:42 pm

My pick has to be "Invisible Hands".  It's just so catchy, and has always been my favourite!  It's a shame that she is often thought of as a one hit wonder.  She had so many awesome songs, that never really got the recognition they deserved .. I remember "Voyeur" just like it was yesterday!

Written By: zcrito on 02/23/07 at 11:55 pm

Easy enough. She's only one song I like

More Love (1980) (original by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles)

I always liked its little intro.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 02/24/07 at 7:32 am

1981 - Bette Davis Eyes

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/24/07 at 11:06 am

Easy enough. She's only one song I like

More Love (1980) (original by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles)

I always liked its little intro.

I went with that one, too.  Great song.  8)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/24/07 at 7:58 pm

I went with the obvious - Bette Davis Eyes. I always confused her with Bonnie Tyler.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/24/07 at 8:00 pm

Bette Davis Eyes.  It's the only song I've heard of.

Written By: mr crowly on 02/25/07 at 11:52 am

betties davis eyes  heres the promo enjoy her voice reminds me of stevie nicks for some reason ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-RdAzkKlXY

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/26/07 at 12:16 pm

Definitely Bette Davis Eyes.  My high school boyfriend always said it reminded him of me, (???) so I've always had a soft spot for it.

Written By: mandamoo on 03/02/07 at 7:38 am

Bette Davis Eyes - only one I know !

Written By: Southern Image on 03/02/07 at 9:01 am

Bette Davis Eyes  was the only one I really liked.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/02/07 at 6:05 pm

I went with that one, too.  Great song.  8)

Written by Donna Weiss and Jackie DeShannon, it first came out on DeShannon's 1975 LP "New Arrangement," but Kim Carnes will always have the definitive version.  I remember the song from when I was a kid, and I didn't like it then.  I heard it again 15 years later and went crazy for it.  I almost did it at Karaoke once, but I didn't want to give anybody the wrong idea....
;)

Don't forget: Bruce "Babyman" Baum's "Marty Feldman's Eyes"!

Written By: whistledog on 09/04/09 at 10:32 am

I was watching a show on TV again called 'Back in 1981'.  It is a Canadian produced show where they cited Kim Carnes as a one hit wonder with 'Bette Davis Eyes'.  It was because of that show that I actually did this poll

Note to CHUM TELEVISION:  Do you damn research before you go giving people wrong information ::)

Written By: Frank on 09/04/09 at 12:08 pm

I voted for my favorite of hers,  Crazy in the Night (Barking at Airplanes)

I was watching a show on TV again called 'Back in 1981'.  It is a Canadian produced show where they cited Kim Carnes as a one hit wonder with 'Bette Davis Eyes'.  It was because of that show that I actually did this poll

Note to CHUM TELEVISION:  Do you damn research before you go giving people wrong information ::)

I have noticed (as you have) that many artists are labelled as "One hit wonders", when they are not.  Just because every song you release isn't number 1 for 3 weeks in a row does not mean you are a one hit wonder!
I've heard a radio station that labelled "The Captain and Tenille" as a 1 hit wonder. LOL!

Written By: whistledog on 09/04/09 at 1:07 pm

I've heard a radio station that labelled "The Captain and Tenille" as a 1 hit wonder. LOL!

Now that is just wrong.  They had all kinds of hits

The one that gets me is from a Canadian perspective, it's sometimes hard to challenge the term "One hit wonder" as we get most of our media from American Television.  I've seen shows that cite Burton Cummings as a one hit wonder for 'Stand Tall' or that Tom Cochrane was a one hit wonder for 'Life is A Highway'.  In Canada, we know better, but for some Canadians who may not remember the other hits these artists had, may believe that show's facts as the truth. 

'Stand Tall' wasn't even Burton's biggest hit in Canada.  That honour goes to 'Fine State of Affairs' which yo-yo'd the Top 50 chart consecutively for almost a year.

Written By: nally on 09/04/09 at 1:50 pm

I know!!! I HIW they automatically assume things like this. >:(

I have noticed (as you have) that many artists are labelled as "One hit wonders", when they are not.  Just because every song you release isn't number 1 for 3 weeks in a row does not mean you are a one hit wonder!

Exactly!! In fact, I know that several of her songs charted on the U.S. Top 40, as well as in other parts of the world.

However, I only know "Bette Davis Eyes" and her cover of the Miracles' "More Love". I'm voting for "Bette Davis Eyes."

Written By: mooster on 09/05/09 at 9:23 pm

Bette Davis Eyes

Written By: whistledog on 12/14/12 at 9:45 pm

I thought I would bump this up.  I was just watching a show called "The Top 100 One Hit Wonders" and they mentioned 'Bette Davis Eyes'.  I understand that when the average listener thinks of Kim Carnes, that song is the one that comes to mind, but shows like these should be schooling us on the other 10 times (11 if you count 'We are the World') she saw the US Top 40, instead of leading us to believe she had no other hits.

'Invisible Hands' is still my favourite!

Written By: Howard on 12/15/12 at 6:55 am

Bette Davis Eyes

Written By: warped on 12/15/12 at 7:35 am

"More love" or "Crazy in the night" for me.

I prefer both of them to "Bette Davis Eyes"

Written By: Lindee on 12/15/12 at 6:55 pm

I went with the obvious - Bette Davis Eyes. I always confused her with Bonnie Tyler.

They do sound alike.

Written By: Henk on 12/16/12 at 1:28 am

I noticed I hadn't voted on this one.

I've gone for "other", because I feel there's at least one song missing: The Universal Song. It peaked at #29 in the Netherlands in 1984.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/22/12 at 6:01 pm

I voted for Don't Fall In Love With A Dreamer. I also like Voyeur. I HATE, HATE, HATE Bette Davis Eyes.  8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P  That is toward the top my list of songs I hate.

Cat

Written By: midnite on 12/29/12 at 9:19 am

i like the Voyeur album, but unfortunately haven't listened to much more of her stuff.  There is something about Kim Carnes and Rod Stewart where I can only tolerate so much of their scratchy voices.  I can only listen to them in little bits at a time...

Written By: Atari on 01/19/13 at 8:35 pm

Wow... no love for Draw of the Cards (except for me, of course). Weird song; even weirder video, but totally 80s. My favorite!

Check for new replies or respond here...