inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Alternative versions of 80s songs you like more?

Written By: whistledog on 02/24/07 at 11:57 pm

Are there any alternative versions of songs that you like better than the original?  Like a remix, or a live version, or maybe the album version over the single release? 

A few I like ..

KC - Give it Up <Extended Version>
I first heard it Extended in an edited version which appears on a 1984 Canada K-Tel album titled "Hit News".  The funky bass line intro is very catchy!

Duran Duran - Hungry Like the Wolf <Night Version>
Appears on the vinyl/cassette copy of "Rio", the now deleted "Carnival EP", and the Double CD set "Strange Behaviour"

Duran Duran - My Own Way <Single Version>
Two different versions of this appear on the original vinyl/cassettes and remastered CDs of "Rio".  The single version beats 'em all

New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle <Extended Dance Mix>
This was the more popular one, which was used for the video

Real Life - Send Me An Angel '89
The heavy drums make it sound better, and that ghost sound adds for effect

Steve Winwood - Valerie <Original 1982 version>
The '87 remix was the one that broke the US Top 40, but I prefer the original better, despite the less appearance of heavy drums.  Both versions made the Canada Top 40, but the original only got to #70 in the US

One to One - Angel in My Pocket <Single Version>
It fades in, and has a higher pitch to the synthesiser track.  The album version is still good too

Icicle Works - Whisper to A Scream (Birds Fly) <with the Spoken intro>
This one is a bit confusing.  The title is the North American release, but the original UK title is "Birds Fly (Whisper to A Scream)".  The US version doesn't contain the spoken word intro, but it appears in the Canada and UK release.  It doesn't really make much difference to the effect of the song, but it just sounds cool

Kim Carnes - Invisible Hands <Dance Mix>
It's longer, which is awesome, cause I can listen to this song all day

Haircut One Hundred - Love Plus One <Full Version>
See above

Nena - 99 Red Balloons
Canada got "99 Red Balloons" and America got "99 Luftballons".  Both versions are good, but I sway more to the English version, only because you can see Nena's armpit hair in the video for "Luft".  Gross with a capital yuck! lol

Subject: Re: Alternative versions of 80s songs you like more?

Written By: woops on 02/25/07 at 12:03 am

The remix version of "The Safety Dance" from Men Without Hats  8) :D

Better than the original, IMO

Written By: Midas on 02/25/07 at 2:08 am

One to One - Angel in My Pocket <Single Version>
It fades in, and has a higher pitch to the synthesiser track.  The album version is still good too

I prefer the 12" of this version...the bassline's pretty 80's wicked in the beginning; makes me think the song should have been part of an 80's movie soundtrack.

Some remixes of songs I prefer to original versions:

The Time - The Bird (12" Remix)
Nicely reworked to have a DJ-friendly intro and break, with some cool stutter effects in the mix.

Pet Shop Boys - Opportunities (US 12" Remix by Shep Pettibone)
Shep gives this track much more energy, as he does with most of his mixes.

Prince & The Revolution - Baby I'm A Star (Prime Cuts Remix)
Remix service gives the track a mixable intro and some cool re-sequencing and stutter effects.

Talking Heads - Burning Down The House (Razormaid! Remix)
Again, some re-sequencing and mixable breaks.

Depeche Mode - Strangelove (Pain Mix)
Probably my favourite of the mixes out there, closely followed by the Blind Mix.  PWL did the Pain Mix, and has sort of a house feel to it.

The Cult - She Sells Sanctuary (Howling Mix)
Great song and great dance remix.

INXS - Need You Tonight (Ben Liebrand Mix)
The Grandmix Marshall put together a pretty tight acid-type remix of this popular track.

Written By: whistledog on 02/25/07 at 11:08 am

Pet Shop Boys - Opportunities (US 12" Remix by Shep Pettibone)
Shep gives this track much more energy, as he does with most of his mixes.

That is an awesome one.  It makes an appearance as the B-side on the cassingle

Written By: Paul on 02/25/07 at 11:44 am

Duran Duran - My Own Way <Single Version>
Two different versions of this appear on the original vinyl/cassettes and remastered CDs of "Rio".  The single version beats 'em all

To be fair, this is the original! And the best!

For some reason, the band weren't happy with this 'single mix' (despite it being released) and ordered the remix for the US market...

I'm not sure if they're still unhappy with it, as it's been missing from their two 'Greatest Hits' albums!

Steve Winwood - Valerie <Original 1982 version>
The '87 remix was the one that broke the US Top 40, but I prefer the original better, despite the less appearance of heavy drums.  Both versions made the Canada Top 40, but the original only got to #70 in the US

Fine song in any version, but I draw the line at the Eric Prydz debacle... :P

Written By: Kryllith on 02/25/07 at 12:56 pm

"We Love You" (Extended remix) by O.M.D
"It's a Sin" (12" version) by Pet Shop Boys
"Forever Young" (Extended remix) by Alphaville (I actually heard this version numerous times before I heard the original, which just seems too slow for me as a result).

Probably can think of numerous others if I try.

Written By: whistledog on 02/25/07 at 3:19 pm

"Forever Young" (Extended remix) by Alphaville (I actually heard this version numerous times before I heard the original, which just seems too slow for me as a result).

I totally forgot about that one.  Good choice!  Very much better than the original indeed

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/25/07 at 3:45 pm

I like the 8-minute album version of "Money For Nothing" over the pared-down hit single version.

Hall and Oates' "Out of Touch" also had an extended 12' mix on certain copies of the Big Bam Boom cassette, which I like slightly over the regular version.

I like the video mix of Amy Grant's "Every Heartbeat" over the album version (yeah, that's 1991, but sounds late 80s, lol).

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/26/07 at 8:24 pm

Sigue Sigue Sputnik - Rockit Miss USA (Madman vs. Speedranch) , from Sci-Fi Sex Stars, and featuring the most sample-laden opening 60 seconds in the history of music.  Everyone from Dirty Harry to The Matrix makes an appearance.

Written By: nally on 12/26/20 at 9:45 pm

This version of "Lay Your Hands On Me" by the Thompson Twins:

2z4IMq9rhME

This version may be considered an "alternative" version by many, given that the other mix has parts that are all "pumped up" so to speak, and to me that just doesn't sound right. THIS mix seems to flow much nicer.

Written By: wagonman76 on 12/26/20 at 11:42 pm

Love Is A Battlefield by Pat Benatar. Most of the time they cut out the end section on the radio and the video too, as I just saw yesterday. The longer version has the prominent fretless bass part.

Roll On (18 Wheeler) by Alabama has a little bass solo towards the end that is usually cut out on the radio version.

Written By: whistledog on 02/24/21 at 3:13 pm

Here's one that I don't necessarily like more, but I like equal ...

In 1982, Tears for Fears released their second single titled Pale Shelter (You Don't Give Me Love) which was initially released in the UK only.  This version is different than the album version that most people are familiar with, and while it failed to chart in the UK, their record label issued a different cut of it exclusively for Canada where it peaked #12 in early 1983.  A re-recorded version simply titled Pale Shelter in 1983 is the one that charted everywhere else, but strangely enough, this song in any shape or form was never issued as a single in the US

Nq95gU_VQWU BUfcT5OoP-8

Written By: nally on 02/26/21 at 12:27 am

The remix version of "The Safety Dance" from Men Without Hats  8) :D

Better than the original, IMO

I have heard a "shorter" version of the song which basically eliminates all the "break period" parts, including the part where they spell out the word "safety": S-S-S-S, A-A-A-A, F-F-F-F, E-E-E-E, T-T-T-T, Y-Y-Y-Y, Safety... Dance! Without that part, the song is just not complete.

So to clarify, I like the complete version (with the spell-it-out parts) WAY better than the cut version (without said parts).

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/07/21 at 10:59 pm

Here I Go Again by Whitesnake. Originally from 1982, with Jon Lord on Hammond organ, seems pretty raw. In 1987 they re recorded it with synth. The 1987 version was the only version I ever heard for decades until 2020, now they are playing the 1982 version all the time. I wondered at first if this “new” version was maybe an unplugged version or something.

Written By: nally on 03/08/21 at 10:47 am

Here I Go Again by Whitesnake. Originally from 1982, with Jon Lord on Hammond organ, seems pretty raw. In 1987 they re recorded it with synth. The 1987 version was the only version I ever heard for decades until 2020, now they are playing the 1982 version all the time. I wondered at first if this “new” version was maybe an unplugged version or something.

The 1987 version is better, by far, IMHO. O0

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/08/21 at 1:54 pm

I like the Police's Don't Stand So Close to Me '86 better than the original (but I like the original, too).

Original (1980)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNIZofPB8ZM

'86

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exXDrlI1B8A

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...