inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mental As Anything

Written By: whistledog on 03/01/07 at 4:58 pm

Anyone else like the Australian band Mental As Anything?

They were (of course) big stars in their homeland, but despite many Australian hits, they only cracked the Top 40 once in the UK with Live it Up (UK #3, 1987), and once in Canada with Too Many Times (CAN #34, 1982).  They had no hits in America

"Live it Up" was actually a hit in Australia years before it reached the UK.  It was re-released due to it's use in the 1986 film "Crocodile Dundee"

They were a great band who deserved bigger success abroad

Subject: Re: Mental As Anything

Written By: Midas on 03/01/07 at 7:16 pm

I like "Live It Up" but I love love LOVE "You're So Strong". :)  That's about all I know by them. :P

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 03/02/07 at 4:58 am

I love the song "Live It Up"... such a great, happy and fun song from the 80s!!! :)

Written By: mandamoo on 03/02/07 at 7:12 am

My favourite song is "The Nips Are Getting Bigger" - their debut hit in 1979  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/02/07 at 6:09 pm

I honestly can't remember any of their tunes.  I first read about them in an article about Aussie bands in the early '80s, among the others Hunters and Collectors, and Midnight Oil, who became my favorite Aussie band ever!

I liked that their keyboard player was called "Greedy Smith"!
;D

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 03/05/07 at 12:11 am

I honestly can't remember any of their tunes.  I first read about them in an article about Aussie bands in the early '80s, among the others Hunters and Collectors, and Midnight Oil, who became my favorite Aussie band ever!

I liked that their keyboard player was called "Greedy Smith"!
;D

They all use to change their nick names regularly in the 70s before they made it big - then when they did hit the big time the nicknames they had that week ended up sticking.  Greedy got his name from a particularly big night with a box of KFC.

The boys still tour constantly. I ran into Martin Plaza (his nickname is from a street name in the middle of Sydney) on my way home from work a couple of months ago. he was lost and looking for a restaurant. I led him to the right place and said hi to Greedy who was patiently waiting for the lost boy !!  Went to their gig a couple of nights later and they are still brilliant at what they were best at - good old fashioned pub rock.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/07/07 at 11:42 pm

I happen to own a VHS tape, called "Australia Now", which came out in the early '80s.

There were roughly 20 bands from Down Under, including Mental As Anything.
They were featured as performing "Got Hit", and "I Didn't Mean To Be Mean".

Other featured bands include:
-INXS
-Men At Work
-Cold Chisel
-Icehouse
-Midnight Oil
-Eurogliders
-No Fixed Address
...And my personal pick:
-Mondo Rock

If you're interested, let me know- I'll give ya the full line-up.

Written By: holicman on 03/10/07 at 11:49 am

Just type the bands name into you tube.

I just had a look and saw 6 different songs come up.

Too many times is my favourite, and mr.Natural from the mid nineties :)

Check for new replies or respond here...