inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bosom Buddies

Written By: whistledog on 03/17/07 at 10:48 pm

So Bosom Buddies: Season 1 is now on DVD.  Anyone else like this show?

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/5613/bosombuddiesmp0.png

According to several websites and forums around the internet, it seems like a good majority of people who bought the set are pissed off that "My Life" by Billy Joel doesn't appear as the theme song.  Inplace, is "Shake Me Loose" by Stephanie Mills, which is actually the show's original theme, but was never used until it went into Syndication (reruns) after it's cancellation in 1982.  I like "Shake Me Loose" better cause it was original to the show. 

It's fun to see Tom Hanks and Peter Scolari in their early days.  Watching a young, thin Tom Hanks all hip and spry is quite a flashback compared to the Tom Hanks of today.  I always liked him on TV, whether it be Bosom Buddies, Uncle Ned on Family Ties, or the guy who kicked Fonzie's ass on Happy Days.  lol

Subject: Re: Bosom Buddies

Written By: Dagwood on 03/17/07 at 11:11 pm

I love that show.  It is hard for me to watch Tom Hanks in a serious role, I always go back to Bosom Buddies. ;D

Subject: h

Written By: tetratron on 03/17/07 at 11:27 pm

:-X

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/19/07 at 4:50 am

Believe it or not, I used to know Donna Dixon, from those days!

When I was 3, as some of you know, I performed with my Mom, onstage.

The place where we started out- Hillbilly Heaven, in Lorton, VA.- was owned and run by Dolly Parton's uncle, Earl Dixon.
Earl is Donna's father. I knew Earl, Donna, Donna's brother Roy, and her sister Sherry quite well.
Donna wasn't around much, but the ones I was around more were very nice people.

-That being said, I also remember that show.
It is such a kick to see stuff like this, and remember those days.....where'd the fun go?

Written By: Mushroom on 03/21/07 at 12:02 pm

A classic Crossdressing show of the era.  Along with Tootsie, Victor-Victoria Yentyl,  and Just One Of The Guys.

Written By: statsqueen on 03/22/07 at 10:55 am

I used to enjoy the show.  It was interesting to see how Tom Hanks' career took off, but Peter Scolari ended up with small bits here and there.

Written By: whistledog on 03/22/07 at 3:00 pm

I used to enjoy the show.  It was interesting to see how Tom Hanks' career took off, but Peter Scolari ended up with small bits here and there.

Scolari never broke into Film as a major star, but his TV career brought him big fame.  His best (and biggest) role was Michael Harris on 'Newhart', which he played for 6 seasons

Written By: statsqueen on 03/22/07 at 3:10 pm

Scolari never broke into Film as a major star, but his TV career brought him big fame.  His best (and biggest) role was Michael Harris on 'Newhart', which he played for 6 seasons

True.  I couldn't remember his name on the show....and it was the 2nd Newhart show, right?  The one at the Inn.  That was when I knew I was going to dislike Julia Duffy in anything---and I was right.  I didn't like her in that, I didn't like her in Designing Women (didn't think she was necessary), didn't like her in Reba, and I didn't like her in...well, something I saw recently, but can't remember at the moment.

Written By: whistledog on 03/22/07 at 3:47 pm

True.  I couldn't remember his name on the show....and it was the 2nd Newhart show, right?  The one at the Inn.  That was when I knew I was going to dislike Julia Duffy in anything---and I was right.  I didn't like her in that, I didn't like her in Designing Women (didn't think she was necessary), didn't like her in Reba, and I didn't like her in...well, something I saw recently, but can't remember at the moment.

She was great in Newhart, but I too didn't like her at all on Designing Women. 

Written By: statsqueen on 03/22/07 at 3:55 pm

She was great in Newhart, but I too didn't like her at all on Designing Women. 

Since you've seen her on more than one show, let me ask you this...Did it seem to you like she played the same type of character (basically) on all the shows she was on?

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/22/07 at 4:08 pm

Not really.

However, there is another actress I think deserves special merit:
Wendie Jo Sperber. (Peter Scolari's love interest)

She was one of the actresses who gave larger women some justice.
She was a very smart person, a wonderful comedic actress, and is sorely missed.
She died about 5 yrs. ago, due to cancer.

Written By: whistledog on 03/22/07 at 4:15 pm

Since you've seen her on more than one show, let me ask you this...Did it seem to you like she played the same type of character (basically) on all the shows she was on?

A snobby bitch?  Indeed yes lol. 
When she transitioned it into other characters that she played in other shows, it got old and boring.  It worked well on Newhart, because she played a rich, high class snob, living in a town of low-class people

Written By: statsqueen on 03/22/07 at 7:27 pm

Not really.

However, there is another actress I think deserves special merit:
Wendie Jo Sperber. (Peter Scolari's love interest)

She was one of the actresses who gave larger women some justice.
She was a very smart person, a wonderful comedic actress, and is sorely missed.
She died about 5 yrs. ago, due to cancer.

I totally agree with you.  I would have like to see her play the lead love interest in some of the romantic comedies that came out...just to show there is hope for those of us who aren't 5-8 and 120 pounds.

Written By: statsqueen on 03/22/07 at 7:29 pm

A snobby bitch?  Indeed yes lol. 
When she transitioned it into other characters that she played in other shows, it got old and boring.  It worked well on Newhart, because she played a rich, high class snob, living in a town of low-class people

What do you think of Holland Taylor now on Two and a Half Men.  I never took her to be much of anything (except annoying) in BB, but I think she has a great role in Two.

Written By: whistledog on 03/22/07 at 7:58 pm

What do you think of Holland Taylor now on Two and a Half Men.  I never took her to be much of anything (except annoying) in BB, but I think she has a great role in Two.

I've loved Holland in every thing she has done.  Sghe always plays the type of person who had that "i don't care" attitude, and it works well for her.  She is great on Two and A Half Men :)

Written By: statsqueen on 03/22/07 at 10:25 pm

I've loved Holland in every thing she has done.  Sghe always plays the type of person who had that "i don't care" attitude, and it works well for her.  She is great on Two and A Half Men :)

You are so right.  That is one of my favorite shows--a lot of it because of the chemistry among the characters.    8)  (emoticon junkie here)

Written By: whistledog on 03/23/07 at 3:53 am

One thing about the DVD set .. if you notice, it says "The First Season" instead of "The Complete First Season".  This is due to a disclaimer on the back stating that the episodes within the DVD are edited from their original network versions, as well as the exclusion of "My Life"

I wish I could remember more of the show from it's original run so I'd know what is missing

Written By: statsqueen on 03/23/07 at 7:24 am

One thing about the DVD set .. if you notice, it says "The First Season" instead of "The Complete First Season".  This is due to a disclaimer on the back stating that the episodes within the DVD are edited from their original network versions, as well as the exclusion of "My Life"

I wish I could remember more of the show from it's original run so I'd know what is missing

I know what you mean.  It's a shame they had to mess with the episodes and not use "My Life."  While I had no idea that the song was not the original, I thought it fit so well that I was sorry to hear they weren't using it for the DVDs.  I got up early enough one day (probably a Saturday) to get to watch an episode, which was a nice treat and brought back some great memories.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/23/07 at 1:58 pm

In some ways, this show dealt with censorship.

I can relate to that.......
Having to hide things you feel..........
Not being allowed to be who you are..........

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........
I'll have to think more about that.

Written By: statsqueen on 03/23/07 at 2:17 pm

In some ways, this show dealt with censorship.

I can relate to that.......
Having to hide things you feel..........
Not being allowed to be who you are..........

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........
I'll have to think more about that.

You might be on to something.  Make sure you get back with your thoughts.

Check for new replies or respond here...