inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s groups rarelys played on the radio

Written By: KKay on 03/22/07 at 7:30 pm

I loved all these songs.. can you think of other bands from this category?
I searched high and low for these records in the 80s.  I might be the only person that I know
that followed them!

Subject: Re: 80s groups rarelys played on the radio

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 03/23/07 at 8:50 am

Fischer Z (So Long)

I thought it was a superb song :)

Written By: KKay on 03/23/07 at 9:50 am

Fischer Z (So Long)

I thought it was a superb song :)

it really was a good song. i got their 'greatest hits' and i love all their tunes.

Written By: whistledog on 03/23/07 at 11:53 am

Pete Shelley (Homosapien)

In Canada, it was a Top 10 hit and became the 54th best selling single of 1982.  Despite all it's success though, it's rarely heard or mentioned anymore.  I still listen to it often though!

The Kings are Canadian, so I hear 'Switchin to Glide' on the radio all the time.  The classic hits station here plays it atleast once a day.  lol

Written By: KKay on 03/24/07 at 7:46 am

In Canada, it was a Top 10 hit and became the 54th best selling single of 1982.  Despite all it's success though, it's rarely heard or mentioned anymore.  I still listen to it often though!

The Kings are Canadian, so I hear 'Switchin to Glide' on the radio all the time.  The classic hits station here plays it atleast once a day.  lol

Man, I loved that song.  I have the album and among a few friends it was a classic.  I hear it now and again. I never hear Homosapien, though I play it for myself as well.
K

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 04/03/07 at 12:42 pm

Fischer Z and Aztec Camera were great. There are quite a few 80s bands that don't get much of a play anymore. Some that I stll like (all Australian):

Uncanny X-Men
Machinations
Kids In The Kitchen
Dear Enemy

Subject: h

Written By: tetratron on 04/04/07 at 12:24 am

:-X

Written By: Davester on 04/04/07 at 3:44 pm

i haven't heard kim carnes, crazy in the night, on any compilation or on any station since 1985.

Also that song. "19" v-v-vietnam. s-s-s-saigon, v-v-vietnam. s-s-s-saigon, kind of dropped out of existence.

Yes..!  I remember it...

"19" ~ Paul Hardcastle.  A Vietnam protest song in the mid eighties..?  Back then you couldn't turn on the radio without hearing that one...

Written By: tetratron on 04/05/07 at 4:55 am

Written By: KKay on 04/08/07 at 6:55 am

Theme song from the movie electric dreams got some airplay and died abruptly.

Neverending story song too. 

and Wierd Science (oingo Boingo...who never got much airplay)

Written By: tetratron on 04/08/07 at 7:55 am

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/08/07 at 4:57 pm

i haven't heard kim carnes, crazy in the night, on any compilation or on any station since 1985.

Also that song. "19" v-v-vietnam. s-s-s-saigon, v-v-vietnam. s-s-s-saigon, kind of dropped out of existence.

Paul Hardcastle suuuuucked!  I remember seeing some acid house video he made at a club in the early '90s.  Last I heard of him.  "19" was a great song, however.

Most of the groups I liked in the '80s didn't get much airplay.

I'd never heard of Fischer-Z until Rhino released the "Just Can't Get Enough--New Wave Hits of the 80s" collection.  I love "So Long," but when I sought out other Fischer-Z records, I didn't care for them. 

Aztec Camera albums "High Land, Hard Rain," and "Knife," with the accompanying EPs/singles are superb.  He (Roddy Frame) subsequently had a good song here and there, such as "Good Morning Britain" (with Mick Jones, 1990), but he never captured the magic he had with that original band.  He's one of those boy geniuses who hit his peak at age 20.

My pic from the poll: Aztec Camera.

My dad brought home the lp of Yaz, upstairs at Erics, and I thought they were pretty underplayed. I still groove to "Situation." I've played it to modern adolescents and they swear its the coolest thing they ever heard.

"Upstairs at Eric's" is one of the best in the entire synth pop genre.  Vince Clarke named Yazoo after Yazoo Records, a blues label, which was named after the Yazoo river in Mississippi.  He wanted to blend soul/blues vocals with his brand of slick snyth pop, that's why he recruited Alison Moyet, who was looking for a roots-blues band.  The marriage of fire and ice was great, but it barely lasted two years.  Moyet was never comfortable with synths.  I consider the first Erasure album to be the third Yazoo album. 
There was already a group using the name Yazoo in the U.S., hence the truncation.  I think it's safe to just call them Yazoo now!
The "Eric" is producer Eric Radcliffe.  Clarke and Moyet lived in the flat above his studio while they were recording the album.

Written By: zcrito on 04/08/07 at 8:22 pm

Not where I live. It came out in 1980, but didn't get any air play until spring of 1982 in my neck of the woods. It's one of my favorites from the '80s that I hear on the radio now about once every 10 years. The last time I heard it on the radio was probably 1998, so it's due to pop up again in a year or so -- I hope I don't miss it.

Written By: KKay on 04/12/07 at 11:00 am

Not where I live. It came out in 1980, but didn't get any air play until spring of 1982 in my neck of the woods. It's one of my favorites from the '80s that I hear on the radio now about once every 10 years. The last time I heard it on the radio was probably 1998, so it's due to pop up again in a year or so -- I hope I don't miss it.

I onloy have it on LP.  youjust reminded me to go download me a copy right now!

Check for new replies or respond here...