inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Help! Does anybody remember this TV Special? "Glamour Girl"

Written By: MelCooley on 04/02/07 at 11:54 am

Okay, this was a really weird TV special that I remember from the late '80s.  I think it was called "Glamour Girl" or "The American Glamour Girl" or something like that.  I'm dying to know the background story on this thing...I can't believe I even watched it, but I did, and it's been haunting me ever since (maybe "haunting" is too strong a word).

It was kind of like a cheap, poorly produced beauty pageant.  The celebrity hostesses were Linda Lavin, Bonnie Franklin and (I'm pretty sure about this) Betty White.  It was so kooky, I'd LOVE to get my hands on a copy of it, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn all copies were immediately destroyed. Linda, Bonnie and Betty came out and did a pretty lame song-and-dance number about what truly constitutes a "Glamour Girl."  Then we get to the "contestants."  They are all attractive, talented and graceful young women.  Except!...one of them absolutely does not fit in.  She's kind of tomboyish.  She is awkward.  Something about  her is just "off."  When they talk to her, she gives weird answers...there's a crazy look in her eye.  Without fail, she stands out as an oddball every time she's featured on camera (during the introduction, the Q&A, the talent portion, etc.)  For her talent, she does a "routine" with one of those goofy bird marionettes...you know the kind with long strings for legs and a kind of puff-ball body and head and big, floppy feet.  You can buy them at every museum gift store and mall toy store.  It's just a kids toy, but it was her "talent," and she wasn't even very good at it.  Throughout the "pageant," I sincerely thought she was just a goof...put in by the producers as comic relief.  But at the end of the show...she was the winner!  She was named the "Glamour Girl."  Did anybody else see this?  I didn't dream it, because my wife saw it, too.  My wife was violently irritated by the whole thing...she kept trying to get me to turn it off, but I couldn't look away!  I'm convinced that the "Glamour Kook" was some poor, disturbed girl who wanted to be on TV so her rich, eccentric uncle actually purchased network time, hired a TV producer, paid for the biggest celebrities they could convince to be part of it, and rigged some dopey contest that she could win.  Surely I'm not the only person who saw or remembers it.

Anybody?!...

Check for new replies or respond here...