inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The peak of adult contemporary 1980s music?

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/06/07 at 10:21 am

I'm listening to "That's What Friends Are For" now, and it seems like one of THE most definitive songs of the genre.

That style seems like it was peaking about when 1985 was turning into 1986. This was a period nestled into still being very Eighties (before the harder, more urban aspects of music and other pop culture began to come to the forefront in the late '80s), but after the rise in socially conscious music and mindset was beginning. This was actually about AIDS, hence the friends in time of need message reflecting its serious tone; while the very polished, safe sound reflected the old-school elements of the former.

P.S. For a persoal reason, songs like this are why I've personally always tended to like various forms of ballads. I remember stuff like this being all over the radio when I was around 4 and 5 (i.e. "Kyrie", "Say You Say Me, "These Dreams", and "Sara", are other examples of the AC influence over pop and rock from this time), so to me, that was always normal. ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...