inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are black and white videos synonymous with early MTV?

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/07/07 at 11:29 pm

I was just thinking about how, one thing that separates old-school music videos from more modern ones are the lack of many black and white clips. Whereas there were tons in the '80s, many of which became classics in their own right, such as "Every Breath You Take", "Drive", "The Boys of Summer", etc

In the early '90s it was declining a little, although still used, especially by more veteran artists like Phil Collins and some power ballads. In the long run though, they seem like a 1982-1992 thing. Quite ironic, actually, since most of the '90s focused on simpler, darker and stripped-down imagery in videos. As opposed to the more conceptual, big budget, flashy '80s videos.

Personally I like them, it gives a more elegant, old-school look. Why do you think they declined over time?

Subject: Re: Are black and white videos synonymous with early MTV?

Written By: whistledog on 04/08/07 at 12:07 am

IMO the champion of the B&W music video in the 80s was The Authority Song by John Cougar Mellencamp

I have always loved Black and White music videos, and I often wished there were more of them.  There were videos that also fused color with B&W such as 'Summer of 69' by Bryan Adams and 'Bad' by Wacko Jacko.  Always thought those were cool! 8)

Written By: san018 on 04/08/07 at 9:09 am

the A-Ha video???...or was that just part black & white??/the comic part

Written By: whistledog on 04/08/07 at 12:33 pm

'The Sun Always Shines on TV' was part B&W

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/08/07 at 4:39 pm

They filmed a whole live action clip and then created animation sketches for each frame of video.  It took months and months using 1985 technology, and cost a boatload of money, but it was worth it.  I think it's still the best music video ever made.

Music videos---period--are synonymous with early MTV.  After about 1990 it ceased to be Music Television and became more like Celebrity Television.
::)

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/08/07 at 9:19 pm

They filmed a whole live action clip and then created animation sketches for each frame of video.  It took months and months using 1985 technology, and cost a boatload of money, but it was worth it.  I think it's still the best music video ever made.

Music videos---period--are synonymous with early MTV.  After about 1990 it ceased to be Music Television and became more like Celebrity Television.

In the grand scheme of things, that's probably true. Although popular videos made a semi comeback in 1997-2000 (Fiona Apple, Britney, etc) it never really reached the level of success they had in the pre-"Smells Like Teen Spirit" era. In fact, that video itself is very synonymous with the '90s - minimalist, stripped down, yet still conveying some kind of message. Same with "Jeremy".

Even in the early '90s, Reality TV was already technically beginning with shows like The Real World. MTV's '90s image is more about that, and Kurt Loder anyway, lol.

IMO the champion of the B&W music video in the 80s was The Authority Song by John Cougar Mellencamp

I have always loved Black and White music videos, and I often wished there were more of them.  There were videos that also fused color with B&W such as 'Summer of 69' by Bryan Adams and 'Bad' by Wacko Jacko.  Always thought those were cool! 8)

Yeah, Mellencamp always had a '50s-mid '60s rock influence on his music, so the black and white images fit right in. I was going to include "Summer of '69" too, but remembered it ends in color, lol.;)

Written By: Doc Brown on 05/21/07 at 8:27 pm

I think my favorite B&W video from the 80's was Aretha Franklin's "Freeway Of Love". Cool 60's-esque imagery, and you could dance to it. Only right at the end did we see some color, to prove her Cadillac was PINK!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: woops on 05/21/07 at 9:11 pm

Some of my favorites:

LL Cool J "Going Back To Cali"
Madonna "Vogue" (though from 1990, but her only good song from that decade)
Bon Jovi "Livin' On A Prayer", which goes from black & white to color like "Wizard of Oz"  :D

Check for new replies or respond here...