inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: when did you get your first camcorder?

Written By: fusefan on 04/14/07 at 12:12 pm

I Know people in the early 80s were still using super 8 to shoot home movies. And i'm curious when did people stop using film for home movies and start using video cameras?

Subject: Re: when did you get your first camcorder?

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/17/07 at 12:56 pm

SUMTYME AROWND 1960

Written By: Southern Image on 04/20/07 at 10:24 am

I STILL don't own one. :D

Written By: karen on 04/20/07 at 10:26 am

We got ours in about 2000.  We were married in 1992 and a relative had a video camera - a big beast of thing not these small cameras you get now.

Written By: snozberries on 04/22/07 at 6:17 pm

I had one of those horrible ones that connected to a cassette player so you were lugging around a big ass camera and carrying a 15 pound box too! Pictures anyone? I still haven't figured out how to embedd an image....

Written By: Watcher29 on 04/26/07 at 8:49 am

I had one about 1993 or so. I don't have one now.

Written By: NbC on 04/27/07 at 4:07 am

Early 90's

My next project is to transfer those old tapes into digital and then to DVD before the tapes disintegrate.  Soon, very soon.

Written By: jadedoz on 04/28/07 at 6:31 pm

I got my first video camera only about 6 years ago. I now have a new one that is both a digital camera and video camera with a hard drive. The photos turn out great and so do the home movies.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/30/07 at 9:38 am

My family had a couple of them in the '80s and most of the '90s. I'm not sure exactly what happened to them, I think the first one wore out, and the other probably just got lost in one of our moves. These were the old-school VHS ones too - I actually shot some footage in 1994 around our apartment complex. I wish I still had it (that was a big deal when I was 12, lol).

I think the full-sized VHS ones stopped being sold in the early-mid '90s (they used tapes, just a smaller brand), but in all, the traditional camcorder is probably a 1982-1995 thing.

Check for new replies or respond here...