inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Influences of hair metal?

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/16/07 at 7:33 pm

Basically, this is an accessible form of heavy metal. It has traditional rock subjects, such as songs about sex, partying and life in the fast lane, but its sound is more Top 40, with elements such as keyboards and love songs. The era probably spans from "Cum On Feel the Noize" in 1983 through "To Be With You" in early 1992, peaking when Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet came out.

I do think quite a bit of commercially-based hard rock was influential on it beforehand. Foreigner, Cheap Trick, Pat Benatar and maybe Eddie Money were doing similar stuff in the late '70s and early '80s. Van Halen's "Jump", I think was especially responsible for the success and image of the more polished bands like Bon Jovi.

Subject: Re: Influences of hair metal?

Written By: Powerslave on 04/16/07 at 9:40 pm

Are you looking for an answer to the question "What are the influences of hair metal?", because you've posed it strangely. I think the influences behind the look and image include Alice Cooper, Kiss and the New York Dolls. Certainly Twisted Sister and Motley Crue were influenced by the Dolls, and both those bands had a big influence on the scene. Musically I think you are correct, but again include Cooper, Kiss and AC/DC can't be forgotten.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/16/07 at 9:57 pm

Are you looking for an answer to the question "What are the influences of hair metal?", because you've posed it strangely. I think the influences behind the look and image include Alice Cooper, Kiss and the New York Dolls. Certainly Twisted Sister and Motley Crue were influenced by the Dolls, and both those bands had a big influence on the scene. Musically I think you are correct, but again include Cooper, Kiss and AC/DC can't be forgotten.

Yeah, I was just outlining it for people who might not be familar with the genre.;)

I do think at the widest extent, it ranged from 1983-1992, although its peak was late 1986 to maybe mid 1989.

That's true, Cooper and KISS influenced the makeup/theatrics side of '80s metal. I guess AC/DC in a way, are like a "hardened/stripped down" form of that. "You Shook Me All Night Long", for instance, could've been a hair metalesque song. They were also famous for writing silly songs about sex and partying. I see bands like them and Aerosmith as influencing the more hardcore stuff like Guns N' Roses and even '90s alternative rock in a weird way.

Written By: mr crowly on 04/17/07 at 3:47 pm

all  metal comes from the blues bands like bon jovie ( love for sale) cenderrella ( heart break station ) ac/dc ( malcome youngs a blues fan)

love the blues if it wasent for the blues  you whouldnt have metal therfeo no sabbath or motorhead  and if those bands werent around nether  whould ozzy q riot    warrent ect

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/17/07 at 8:12 pm

all  metal comes from the blues bands like bon jovie ( love for sale) cenderrella ( heart break station ) ac/dc ( malcome youngs a blues fan)

love the blues if it wasent for the blues  you whouldnt have metal therfeo no sabbath or motorhead  and if those bands werent around nether  whould ozzy q riot    warrent ect

I wouldn't call any of those bands blues... Or even blues rock.

I think they're all hair metal, too!

Written By: Powerslave on 04/18/07 at 2:54 am

I wouldn't call any of those bands blues... Or even blues rock.

I think they're all hair metal, too!

I certainly would. AC/DC especially (at least up until Powerage). Cinderella and Great White definitely had a heavy blues influence. I don't even consider Great White to be metal, but a blues rock band like Whitesnake (before they went hair metal). The thing about "hair metal" was that it wasn't so much a musical style as a catch-all phrase for any band that had big hair and played loud rock. It was more of a look than a sound. Bon Jovi had huge hair, but weren't really metal. Then there was bands like Judas Priest that had a hair-metal "phase" (adopting big hair and slick commercial sound).

Check for new replies or respond here...