inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Beauty and the Beast (Linda Hamilton/Ron Perlman) 20th anniversary

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/18/07 at 12:20 am

Been watching some videos of it on youtube, and discovered that it premiered 20 years ago this month of Beauty and the Beast Tv Series. {April 12, 1987}

Anybody love the romance of this series?  They had me up until Linda Hamilton left, and then...of course, it just wasn't the same. 

Subject: Re: Beauty and the Beast (Linda Hamilton/Ron Perlman) 20th anniversary

Written By: robby76 on 04/18/07 at 12:36 am

The dvd's out now. I loved it too but not sure I'd go to the expense of buying a season set. If it was in re-runs on tv I'd tune in for definite!

Written By: whistledog on 04/18/07 at 12:56 am

The dvd's out now. I loved it too but not sure I'd go to the expense of buying a season set. If it was in re-runs on tv I'd tune in for definite!

Same goes for me

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/18/07 at 1:12 am

I'm the same here.  That is why I was looking for clips of it on youtube (well...at least until they are removed anyways).  I cannot see Ron Perlman in any movie now without thinking about him as Beast, which is funny because when I see Linda Hamilton, I do not have the same reaction.  It takes me a few minutes (if I stop to think what other things she's been in) to remember she was lead in B&B.  I don't know why, but it always pops into my head way before I think of B&B, is that she was married/divorced to/from James Cameron (director of Titanic - but was also director of Terminator where, presumably, Cameron and Hamilton met.)  I also think of the People magazine article I read of the account of their wedding where it mentioned that Linda got married in a plain white dress in her bare feet.  Why that little factoid chose to stay lodged in my brain all these years later, I have no idea.  Maybe I just wanted (subconciously) to get married in my bare feet too.  :D

Written By: robby76 on 04/18/07 at 5:02 am

My nice image of  Linda Hamilton was ruined by her butch role in the Terminator films.  ;D

Anyway I do like the series so I may buy it somewhere down the line... there'll come a time when I've exhausted all my faves and looking for new ones to fill the void, and B&B would be high on my list. I used to love the thought of living in underground tunnels like them as a kid  :) little did I realise it was the stinky NY sewers.

Written By: Mushroom on 04/18/07 at 12:00 pm

I always loved the series, and watched it every chance I could.

Yea, I know.  Not the kind of TV series a Marine should be watching.  But I did not care.  The story was captivating, along with the deeper storyline of a love that could never be consumated.

Of course, the TV Network hated the show.  Much like many other "Cult Shows", the demographics were horribly skewed.  The strongest audience was women 20-40.  But everybody knows that the audience you want is men 20-30.  So after 2 seasons, they changed the show.

Catherine became pregnant at the beginning of the 3rd season, and was promptly killed off, with the villian kidnapping her and Vincent's child.  The 3rd season degenerated into absurdity, trying to act like a late 1980's action series.  The old fans revolted and left, and there were never any new fans attracted to the show.

And in an interesting side-note, in one of the Star Trek books, Vincent was connected to the Star Trek universe.  Apparently he was a failed experiment in the genetic project that gave birth to Kahn.

Season 2 is set for release in July.  And there are currently no plans to release season 3.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/18/07 at 1:42 pm

And in an interesting side-note, in one of the Star Trek books, Vincent was connected to the Star Trek universe.  Apparently he was a failed experiment in the genetic project that gave birth to Kahn.

I didn't know that!  How interesting!

Written By: whistledog on 04/18/07 at 3:49 pm

I cannot see Ron Perlman in any movie now without thinking about him as Beast, which is funny because when I see Linda Hamilton, I do not have the same reaction. 

I know what you mean.  In the movie 'Blade II', when Ron Pearlman appeared, I was like, "Hey! It's Beast!" ;D

Written By: snozberries on 04/22/07 at 6:05 pm

NETFLIX!

Written By: snozberries on 04/22/07 at 6:10 pm

My nice image of  Linda Hamilton was ruined by her butch role in the Terminator films.  ;D

Anyway I do like the series so I may buy it somewhere down the line... there'll come a time when I've exhausted all my faves and looking for new ones to fill the void, and B&B would be high on my list. I used to love the thought of living in underground tunnels like them as a kid  :) little did I realise it was the stinky NY sewers.

She was also in the 'classic' film T.A.G. The Assination Game... I love this cheese fest! 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/22/07 at 10:05 pm

Holy frak!!!!!!!

Now I feel really frigging old!!!!  ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/23/07 at 3:07 pm

I remember getting up and out of bed, and I'd hear the strains of "Beauty and the Beast" playing on the TV. I could see the images reflecting off our cabinet doors and saw my mom watching it intently. I'd come in on commercial and make her change it to Macgyver reruns on another channel, lol  ;D

Written By: ajisfine09 on 07/15/07 at 1:56 pm

Doubled my favorite shows when I was little I still remember it too I was like four years old when it started to bad it was only on for three seasons although really wasn't much of a show after Katherine died..

Written By: snozberries on 07/15/07 at 4:08 pm

Doubled my favorite shows when I was little I still remember it too I was like four years old when it started to bad it was only on for three seasons although really wasn't much of a show after Katherine died..

WHAT? Catherine died? No Way  Just kidding I knew that but I am in total denial  :\'(

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/15/07 at 10:32 pm

This was one of my dad's favorite late 80's shows......my mother used to tease him about his crush on Linda Hamilton.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...