inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: h

Written By: tetratron on 04/18/07 at 3:16 am

:-X

Subject: Re: Failed Food Gimmicks of the 80's or... Tastes of the 80's.

Written By: Davester on 04/18/07 at 10:52 am

New Coke always comes to mind.  Didn't bother me much but it sure pissed alot of people off..!

I don't think C3POs cereal went over very well.  Never tried them but they looked like figure '8' Cheerios...

One '80s cereal I did like was Donutz (the powdered kind).  I dunno, do they still make those..?

Also Mac & Don's used to serve these d-e-e-e-licious danishes in the morning - Mc Danish, or something.  They came with different fillings, apple, raspberry, etc.  Raspberry was my fave and I'd talk my dad into letting me have, like, three of them.  At some point they disappeared from the menu...

Written By: danootaandme on 04/19/07 at 6:19 am

Whatever happened to Pop Rocks, do they still have them?  You put them in your mouth and they popped like popcorn.  They were fun, but nazimoms complained about children being in danger of death from carbon dioxide causing stomach explosions.  ::)

Written By: karen on 04/19/07 at 6:34 am

Whatever happened to Pop Rocks, do they still have them?  You put them in your mouth and they popped like popcorn.  They were fun, but nazimoms complained about children being in danger of death from carbon dioxide causing stomach explosions.   ::)

It disappeared for a while but I had some recently.  I can't recall where from exactly but it might have been in the party bag my son brought home from the National Space Centre.

I think it was called Space Dust here

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/19/07 at 7:59 am

Garbage Pail Kids, folks! They got banned from many public schools, not for the (cardboard) quality of the chewing gum in the package, but for the comically illustrated trading cards included in the package depicting children in questionable situations or manners of taste (Pockmarked Peter, Dirty Danny, Poisoned Penny, etc.)

Big League Chew was controversial, too, because it was made to resemble the kind of shredded tobacco that pro baseball players presumably chawed from on the field.

Some of my memories here might actually be from the late '70s---

Remember Honeycombs cereal, with the kids from the  "Honeycomb Club"? Some evil person was always trying to steal their cereal (which seemed to be an ongoing problem of this era, problematic for the Trix Cereal Kids and Lucky the Leprechaun!) In each commercial, they actually measured a cereal nugget with a ruler to show how large it was...The song:"Honeycomb's big! Yeah yeah yeah! It's not small, no no no! Honeycomb's got--a big big bite! Big big taste for a big big bite!"... Like Captain Crunch, it was a surefire oral pallette scraper!  ;D

Granola Clusters, "nature's answer to candy." --Granola bars with a nougat center. Yum!

Remember Marathon, the long chewy nougat/caramel/chocolate stick, the favorite snack of cowboy "Marathon John"?

Written By: Davester on 04/19/07 at 10:55 am

Whatever happened to Pop Rocks, do they still have them?  You put them in your mouth and they popped like popcorn.  They were fun, but nazimoms complained about children being in danger of death from carbon dioxide causing stomach explosions.   ::)

Heck yeah, I remember Pop Rocks..!  As I recall, the offshoot of the stomach explosions legend was that Mikey, the kid from the Life cereal commercial, actually died from ingesting Pop Rocks with soda pop...

Zelda cereal, I do remember the cereal but I never tried it...

Astro Pops - check..!  8)

Written By: Step-chan on 04/19/07 at 12:18 pm

Garbage Pail Kids, folks! They got banned from many public schools, not for the (cardboard) quality of the chewing gum in the package, but for the comically illustrated trading cards included in the package depicting children in questionable situations or manners of taste (Pockmarked Peter, Dirty Danny, Poisoned Penny, etc.)

Garbage Pail Kids, the horrors! Heck, I've seen a rebirth of them at Comic Stores not too long ago.

Written By: Kenosha on 04/20/07 at 3:19 pm

What about Hostes Pudding Pies. Man I loved those. Used to run down to the Quick-e-mart everday after school to get one.

Written By: Step-chan on 04/20/07 at 4:26 pm

What about Hostes Pudding Pies. Man I loved those. Used to run down to the Quick-e-mart everday after school to get one.

Me too.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/20/07 at 4:53 pm

They were quite tasty.

Written By: Blair on 04/20/07 at 5:03 pm

Remember Astro Pops, anyone? They were like a yellow green and red icycle sucker with a wax base, that if you sucked on it long enough, it would sharpen to a point like an ice pic.

I liked Astro Pops because they got pointy and you couldn't open you mouth if you bit into them.

However, the last time I saw one the wide base was inverted and the pointy end held the stick. Apparently some kid stabbed himself with one.

Written By: Davester on 04/21/07 at 12:53 am

Thanks for reminding me of c3p0s cereal. I just relaized that on the back of the box, it had a cut out mask of c3po and I used it as the cover to my science project on robots.

Check out this funny X-Entertainment entry.  Apparently, he bought an unopened box of C3POs on eBay just to see how the sweet, crunchy, interstellar goodness held up over the years...

Twenty year old cereal - it's NOT just for breakfast, anymore... :P

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/22/07 at 10:08 pm

Mr.T cereal and Pro Star cereal are what I remember most.

Written By: Davester on 04/25/07 at 12:32 am

Also did anyone else notice that the gum that was supplied with garbage pail kids, baseball cards, and Return of the Jedi Trading Cards,
was such an exceptionally low quality that it flaked into pieces like a broken leaf, lost taste and became hard almost immediately.

For 25 cents they couldn't have put something more along the lines of juicy fruit, quality.

The "gum" in the wax packs was for olfactory gratification only.  Like a thin, rectangular air freshener... :P

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/25/07 at 9:18 pm

I remember that gum too!  ;D

Written By: Watcher29 on 04/26/07 at 8:45 am

That was gum?!? Damn, I tiled my bathroom with that stuff...

Written By: Mushroom on 04/26/07 at 3:29 pm

Oh wow were there a lot of them.  Here are a few that I remember.

M&M Royals.  These were like Plain M&Ms, but they had mint flavored chocolate.  I always loved them, and wish they were still around.

Bar None.  A tripple-dose of Chocolate.  Chocolate creme filling between chocolate wafers, covered in chocolate.  1,200 calories just looking at one.

Mac Tonight Meal.  This is the true origin of the "Value Meal" that we have today.  It lasted just about a year, and was a huge success.

Astronaut Ice Cream.  Who can forget freeze-dried ice cream?  For some reason, eating a hard warm brick was not the same for me.

Cherry Sodas.  For a while in the 80's, you could get almost any kind of soda in Cherry.  Coke, Pepsi, 7-Up, RC Cola, even Root Beer.

Chocolate Covered Payday.  What's better then a salty sticky peanut bar?  Why, a salty sticky peanut bar covered with chocolate!

O'Boisies.  Now I lived in Boise for many years.  But as long as I lived there, I never saw chips made from potato skins.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/26/07 at 10:25 pm

Astronaut Ice Cream? I had that once!

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 04/28/07 at 10:55 pm

I used to collect E.T. cards when the movie came out.  The gum in those was actually pretty good. 

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/29/07 at 6:31 pm

Damn, Mr. T cereal was so good!!

Does anyone remember the Ice Cream Cone cereal?

Written By: Davester on 04/29/07 at 8:43 pm

Damn, Mr. T cereal was so good!!

Does anyone remember the Ice Cream Cone cereal?

I remember it from the commercials...

General Mills supposedly reintroduced this cereal a couple of years ago...

Written By: Lindee on 04/30/07 at 10:04 am

Bar None.  A tripple-dose of Chocolate.  Chocolate creme filling between chocolate wafers, covered in chocolate.  1,200 calories just looking at one.

That was one of my favorite candy bars. I was bummed when they stopped making it.

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/30/07 at 12:05 pm

"Tofifay, it's too good for kids!"

"You can roll a Rolo--to your friend--it's chocolate-coverd caramel from start to end!" b ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/30/07 at 2:30 pm

"Tofifay, it's too good for kids!"

"You can roll a Rolo--to your friend--it's chocolate-coverd caramel from start to end!" b ;D

Rolos are still good where you can find them!

Tofifay was my mother's fave candy, until she introduced it to me! It sucked that you would only get four pieces!!!

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 04/30/07 at 2:37 pm

Rolos are still good where you can find them!

Rolos are still readily available here in NY.

Written By: ILUV80S on 04/30/07 at 3:06 pm

Mug O' Lunch!  Kind of like mini hamburger helper you put in a mug with water and microwaved, it was actually pretty good.

I liked when all bubble gum wasn't non-stick.  Wasn't it Hubba Bubba that first claimed to be non stick?  I think it's just rubbery.  Now all bubble gum is like this and they don't blow bubbles for crap!

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/01/07 at 12:04 pm

Tofifay was my mother's fave candy, until she introduced it to me! It sucked that you would only get four pieces!!!

Somewhere in the 80s, someone got the idea that adults don't like big candy bars. What poppycock! Incidentally, I never touched a Tofifay...never liked nuts. Whoever believed that chocolate could be IMPROVED with nuts mixed in should be shot.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/01/07 at 12:18 pm

Somewhere in the 80s, someone got the idea that adults don't like big candy bars. What poppycock! Incidentally, I never touched a Tofifay...never liked nuts. Whoever believed that chocolate could be IMPROVED with nuts mixed in should be shot.

haha! This one was really good because it had hazelnuts (which I love) in it.

Written By: Mushroom on 05/01/07 at 5:59 pm

Bar None. 
That was one of my favorite candy bars. I was bummed when they stopped making it.

I loved them as well.  I am still a chocoholic, and loved them up until the early 1990's, when they changed the formula (I seem to remember they replaced the chocolate wafers with vanilla, and caramel filling instead of chocolate).  It just was not the same, and I stopped eating them.

Written By: karen on 05/02/07 at 10:32 am

I was looking up some info for another thread and spotted these!

Written By: deadferret on 05/02/07 at 2:34 pm

The one thing I remember having a lot back then was real popcorn...you know with a popcorn popper, not a microwave. Those were the days....

I also enjoyed Lemon Heads. The Big ones!

Written By: the comic on 05/05/07 at 4:58 am

you forgot the taco bell combo meals, those didn't even last a year. i know this because i used to work at one. if you wanted to make the pizzazz pizza taste better, you had to ask them to make it with only i shell. hey, don't forget the taco bell seafood salad and the chicken salad...i can't remember the name of that though

Written By: the comic on 05/05/07 at 5:16 am

Whatever happened to Pop Rocks, do they still have them?  You put them in your mouth and they popped like popcorn.  They were fun, but nazimoms complained about children being in danger of death from carbon dioxide causing stomach explosions.  ::)
yes, they still make them

Written By: Lindee on 05/06/07 at 11:22 am

Burger had the salad in a pita or a platter concept.

Eat A Pita  Or A Platter.

Check for new replies or respond here...