inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Alfred Hitchcock Presents - revisited

Written By: snozberries on 04/22/07 at 6:34 pm

Just stumbled upon the Chiller channel (257 on Directv for those keeping score) and found they air my favorite series. Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

Not only do they air the most excellent original series but also the horrible 80's version.
I just watched two last night one with Yaphet Koto and the other with Brad Davis... two fine actors but what a load of Crap!!!!

It has been a LONG time since I laughed that hard.

Subject: Re: Alfred Hitchcock Presents - revisited

Written By: whistledog on 04/22/07 at 10:10 pm

I remember the 80s version.  They used to air it in Canada on the Global Network, and I watched it all the time.  That corny music that played while Hitchcock walked into his silhouette for some reason always made me split my sides ;D

Alot of today's big stars got their start in episodes of the 80s version

Written By: RobertK on 04/26/07 at 6:08 pm

I still have some VHS tapes I recorded back when it was syndicated on the USA Network.  The colorized opening of AH just looked sooo wrong. **shudder**

***START SPOILER ALERT***

I think my favorite episode was one where an escaped convict breaks into a house, not realizing a woman is at home.  Although the woman in the house is initially terrorized, the two begin to bond.  The woman's husband is frequently away and she comes to the realization that she is as much a prisoner in her house as the convict was in while in the penitentiary.

The two decide to run off together.  As they are packing the phone rings but the woman ignores it.  The prisoner wants her to answer the phone and though she initially refuses, the prisoner forces her and tells her what to say.

As short time later as they are leaving, the house is surrounded by the police and the prisoner is killed.  Turns out the woman was deaf so she would have not been able to carry on a phone conversation.

As we last see her, she is taking her bags and leaving her "prison".

***END SPOILER ALERT***

Ahhhh.. memories.

Written By: snozberries on 04/27/07 at 8:52 am

I still have some VHS tapes I recorded back when it was syndicated on the USA Network.  The colorized opening of AH just looked sooo wrong. **shudder**

***START SPOILER ALERT***

I think my favorite episode was one where an escaped convict breaks into a house, not realizing a woman is at home.  Although the woman in the house is initially terrorized, the two begin to bond.  The woman's husband is frequently away and she comes to the realization that she is as much a prisoner in her house as the convict was in while in the penitentiary.

The two decide to run off together.  As they are packing the phone rings but the woman ignores it.  The prisoner wants her to answer the phone and though she initially refuses, the prisoner forces her and tells her what to say.

As short time later as they are leaving, the house is surrounded by the police and the prisoner is killed.  Turns out the woman was deaf so she would have not been able to carry on a phone conversation.

As we last see her, she is taking her bags and leaving her "prison".

***END SPOILER ALERT***

Ahhhh.. memories.

that's the one with Yaphet Koto...  I liked this one better when they did it in B&W. It was too over the top. Koto's character was all sterotype and not very well developed... btw is it difficult to read lips in a mirror?

I just saw one with Ned Beatty that actually wasn't too bad.....

SPOILER***********

The episode opens on a homeless guy in the woods standing over a woman's dead body. He has blood on his jacket and pants. He runs away and ends up hitching a ride from travelling salesman Beatty. 

Beatty stops for gas and wants the guy to get of the car but he won't so Beatty goes into a diner and calls his wife. While inside two highway patrolmen show up at the gas & gulp too.  The hitchhiker gets nervous and runs.

Beatty, seeing his car is empty leaves the station but runs red light and almost hits a sheriff who is running code 3 (lights & sirens).  The highway patrol, for some reason, stop Beatty for running the stop sign instead of seeing where the sheriff is going. Anyway, they end up having to take Beatty back to the station so they can run his driving record.

While at the station the sheriff shows up with the hitchhiker who is fighting being arrested. They get him in jail, match the blood stained jacket he dumped to his blood stained pants and determine that he killed the girl.

A possee hears of his arrest and decide they want to hang him. But he manages to escape jail and change clothes with Beatty. He tells Beatty he was walking in the woods and tripped over the body and he wasn't gonna die for something he didn't do.

The hitchhiker escapes and Beatty is nearly hung by the angry mob. He is the only one in a cell when they arrive so they think he is the killer.  He is saved from the hanging by a sheriff or highway patrolman. They end up releasing him without citing him for the stop sign violation.

Later Beatty is at a rest stop. He's on the phone with his wife and tells her that he will be late. A women drives into the rest stop as well with a flat tire. Beatty offers her a ride but not before going to his trunk and pulling out a knife from bloody towel.

*********************************END SPOILER******************

I think my problem with these has been, besides the fact that they are so over the top....Hitchcock should be subtle..... is the music is so obvious. The musical cues are like another character in the series. 

And RobertK is right the Ted Turnerizing of the original Hitchcock openings is just scarilege. 

Check for new replies or respond here...