inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Murphy Brown

Written By: whistledog on 04/26/07 at 9:39 pm

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
          MURPHY BROWN

Was anyone else a fan of this show?  It ran on CBS for 10 seasons (1988 to 1998) and starred Candice Bergen in the title role as a top news reporter for the fictional network FYI

I just finished watching the Season 1 DVD set, and I'd forgotten how funny this show was.  The way Jim Dial always looked so serious all the time was classic.  He had the perfect voice for broadcasting, and it always seemed like he never left character.  It's like he was reporting the news 24/7 lol.  The best was Murphy's house painter Eldin.  He was originally hired for a 3 day job, but had so many grand ideas, he took 6 years to finish the job lol.

Murphy Brown produced what I still believe to be one of the best recurring roles in TV history ... Garry Marshall as the dimwitted network president Stan Lansing.  He was sort of like Arthur Carlson of WKRP .. the man in charge who isn't totally sure just what he was doing LOL

Also with this show came alot of running gags ...

- In every episode, Murphy always had a different secretary
- In later seasons when Murphy became pregnant and gave birth to her baby, which she named Avery, she went through nannies just like secretaries
- The show itself never had an opening theme, but it had a regular closing one.  Each episode opened with a Motown song, chosen specifically with lyrics that related to the plot of each episode

Sales for the Season 1 DVD set were not what Warner Brothers had noped, so there is no plans YET for a Season 2 release, but if and when it comes, I will definately get a copy.  I want all 10 seasons!

Subject: Re: Murphy Brown

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/26/07 at 9:40 pm

I can honestly say that this was one show that I never even saw one episode of. :o

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/26/07 at 10:22 pm

I remember this show, very well.

Written By: woops on 04/26/07 at 11:12 pm

Saw it on Nick at Nite a few times...

OK, though "Miles" reminds me of the middle aged guy on that "Cradle of Love" video (especially the hair and glasses)...

Wonder if that was him  ??? ::)

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/27/07 at 6:20 am

You know when i think of Murphy Brown,i always think of the 90's,not 80's :-\\ Anyway it was awesome,one of the best tv shows ever.
Does anyone remember the scandal (the Dan Quayle speech) when she had the kid on her own? Now that was funny  :D

Written By: snozberries on 04/27/07 at 10:53 am

You know when i think of Murphy Brown,i always think of the 90's,not 80's :-\\ Anyway it was awesome,one of the best tv shows ever.
Does anyone remember the scandal (the Dan Quayle speech) when she had the kid on her own? Now that was funny  :D

That was so great. I love how Quayle used a TV character to talk about so-called family values and then Diane English, in all her brilliance uses it for a two part diatribe against republican politics. It was great!

Written By: jadedoz on 04/28/07 at 6:27 pm

I loved this show. They still play reruns of Murphy Brown on foxtel in Australia. I also own the first season dvd.

Check for new replies or respond here...