inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When was the point '60s nostalgia wouldn't have seemed like a joke?

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/30/07 at 2:58 am

I'm going to say maybe 1979 or 1980.

Perhaps it's unintentional, but all the decade revivals seem to go in the order the actual time did, as opposed to being a "greatest hits" picked off the carcass. For instance, the Woodstock-esque late '60s wouldn't start coming back until several years down the line; with shows like The Wonder Years, new hits from artists like Roy Orbison, tie dye shirts, etc.

The early-mid '60s around the JFK era was probably old and distant enough, though. Hair came out in '79. Despite that new wave was mostly still underground, it was the first kind of music that arguably could've been more rooted in the mainstream of the '60s than the '70s. The Romantics, Blondie and Dave Edmunds also had oldies-rock and British Invasion influences.

I think another factor might've been the temporary fall of dominant culture around the middle of 1979 (the beginning of the public disco backlash) which lasted at least until MTV went on the air. Since that was a kinda "cultureless" time, and nobody quite knew where things were going, it was more natural to look back. When John Lennon died, that probably made people miss the 1960s even more.

Subject: Re: When was the point '60s nostalgia wouldn't have seemed like a joke?

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/30/07 at 8:14 am

you are so obsessed with this stuff!!

Subject: Re: When was the point '60s nostalgia wouldn't have seemed like a joke?

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 04/30/07 at 12:10 pm

I'm going to say maybe 1979 or 1980.

Perhaps it's unintentional, but all the decade revivals seem to go in the order the actual time did, as opposed to being a "greatest hits" picked off the carcass. For instance, the Woodstock-esque late '60s wouldn't start coming back until several years down the line; with shows like The Wonder Years, new hits from artists like Roy Orbison, tie dye shirts, etc.

The early-mid '60s around the JFK era was probably old and distant enough, though. Hair came out in '79. Despite that new wave was mostly still underground, it was the first kind of music that arguably could've been more rooted in the mainstream of the '60s than the '70s. The Romantics, Blondie and Dave Edmunds also had oldies-rock and British Invasion influences.

I think another factor might've been the temporary fall of dominant culture around the middle of 1979 (the beginning of the public disco backlash) which lasted at least until MTV went on the air. Since that was a kinda "cultureless" time, and nobody quite knew where things were going, it was more natural to look back. When John Lennon died, that probably made people miss the 1960s even more.

I'm going to say late 80's.  "Wonder Years" and Orbison's "You Got It" both came out around '87-88...I'm guessing here.  Also, there was that Monkees resurgence.  At least where I grew up, in CT, in '88-89 we were wearing Revlon's Zinc Pink lipstick and dressing in mod and tie dye.

Subject: Re: When was the point \'60s nostalgia wouldn\'t have seemed like a joke?

Written By: happyapples on 05/07/07 at 9:47 pm

Probably the mid \'70s.

Check for new replies or respond here...