inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: North and South Miniseries

Written By: spaceace on 04/30/07 at 6:31 pm

Who remembers it? Who likes it? Who thinks John Jakes is a God? Last question . . . who has seen the BBC version of it?

Subject: Re: North and South Miniseries

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 04/30/07 at 7:28 pm

My mother had the entire series on VH-S and would watch it all the time, as she was totally in love with Patrick Swayze!  :D As a result, I watched it more than a few times as a kid back in the 90s!  ;D I didn't realize the BBC did a version... with English actors? Interesting!

Written By: spaceace on 04/30/07 at 7:31 pm

My mother had the entire series on VH-S and would watch it all the time, as she was totally in love with Patrick Swayze!  :D As a result, I watched it more than a few times as a kid back in the 90s!  ;D I didn't realize the BBC did a version... with English actors? Interesting!

Yes, well it's on DVD now!! :)  I always liked James Read.  Go to you tube they've got bits of the BBC version.

Written By: whistledog on 04/30/07 at 8:57 pm

I never saw this, but I remember when it was popular

James Read had a co-starring role in the first season of 'Remington Steele', but was written out, and did not appear again

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/01/07 at 7:24 am

I remember our assignment in 7th grade Social Studies/history class was to go home each night and watch this series when it was first on.  I was lucky if I got to watch it though, as I didn't often get to control whaat we watched on television.  I remember liking it though.  :)

Written By: spaceace on 05/01/07 at 8:16 am

I never saw this, but I remember when it was popular

James Read had a co-starring role in the first season of 'Remington Steele', but was written out, and did not appear again

I remember him on Remington Steele.  Do you remember his short lived TV series "Shell Games"?

Written By: Gis on 05/01/07 at 10:32 am

Loved it!

The BBC thing is nothing to do with this though. It is actually based on a novel by Elizabeth Gaskell set in the Victorian period and based in the industrial north it is fabulous too and made Richard Armitage a star!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_and_South_%282004_TV_serial%29 

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/01/07 at 12:17 pm

I remember it and it was really good!

Kirstie Alley was also in it as the abolitionist sister of James Read.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 05/01/07 at 1:56 pm

That's right! She played Virgilia, who married a freed slave and eventually went mad. My favorite character was the wicked Ashton (played to the hilt by Terri Garber) and her accomplice in evil-doing Elkanah Bent, played by Philip Casnoff. Those two were so evil! Genie Francis and Jonathan Frakes met and fell in love making the mini-series, as did James Read and Wendy Kilbourne, who played his wife Constance. There were three different series covering the John Jakes books: North & South, Love & War and the final chapter, Heaven & Hell. It's sad to realize that compelling television such as this will never be made again...

Written By: spaceace on 05/01/07 at 7:51 pm

Loved it!

The BBC thing is nothing to do with this though. It is actually based on a novel by Elizabeth Gaskell set in the Victorian period and based in the industrial north it is fabulous too and made Richard Armitage a star!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_and_South_%282004_TV_serial%29 

Oh, so now I've got to pick up the DVD collection of that too.  I saw it in a shop.  I love Victorian era stories. :)

Written By: spaceace on 05/01/07 at 7:52 pm

Yep, and so was Parker Stevens her husband.  (He played Billy Hazard)

Written By: spaceace on 05/01/07 at 7:53 pm

That's right! She played Virgilia, who married a freed slave and eventually went mad. My favorite character was the wicked Ashton (played to the hilt by Terri Garber) and her accomplice in evil-doing Elkanah Bent, played by Philip Casnoff. Those two were so evil! Genie Francis and Jonathan Frakes met and fell in love making the mini-series, as did James Read and Wendy Kilbourne, who played his wife Constance. There were three different series covering the John Jakes books: North & South, Love & War and the final chapter, Heaven & Hell. It's sad to realize that compelling television such as this will never be made again...

They don't make miniseries like that anymore. :(

Written By: Gis on 05/02/07 at 1:21 am

Yep, and so was Parker Stevens her husband.  (He played Billy Hazard)
I remember him from The Hardy Boys!

Written By: spaceace on 05/02/07 at 7:34 am

I remember him from The Hardy Boys!

Him and Shaun Cassidy.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/02/07 at 11:11 am

Him and Shaun Cassidy.

Ahh, Shaun Cassidy!!!  :-*

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/02/07 at 11:12 am

You got it!! She tripped out!!

I agree also with the caliber of this mini-series. The 70s and 80s had a great run with them. I doubt we will ever have it again.

Written By: Mushroom on 05/02/07 at 12:00 pm

I have to admit that I always loved this series.  I own all 3 books, as well as the complete series on DVD.

And while so many people were mentioned, I am surprised that nobody in here has mentioned David Carradine as Justin LaMotte!  He plays the perfect bastard in the series, and was much more horrible then Bent.

And a lot of people did not realize that the real reason for Jonathan Frakes growing his beard during the second season of Star Trek: TNG is that he had to grow it for part 2 of the series.  It was filmed during summer haitus, and he liked it so much he talked them into letting him keep it for his Cdr. Riker character.

Parts 1 and 2 followed the original story pretty closely.  But there were a few things that were changed, like Orrey's injury (injured leg instead of loosing an arm), and the fact that Orrey was killed before the end of the book.  When they made Part 3 into a movie, the first thing they did was to kill off Orrey's character.

Part 3 really was a dissapointment, but at least it comes in the DVD set, so you will not actually waste any money when you buy it.

Written By: spaceace on 05/02/07 at 12:06 pm

I have to admit that I always loved this series.  I own all 3 books, as well as the complete series on DVD.

And while so many people were mentioned, I am surprised that nobody in here has mentioned David Carradine as Justin LaMotte!  He plays the perfect bastard in the series, and was much more horrible then Bent.

And a lot of people did not realize that the real reason for Jonathan Frakes growing his beard during the second season of Star Trek: TNG is that he had to grow it for part 2 of the series.  It was filmed during summer haitus, and he liked it so much he talked them into letting him keep it for his Cdr. Riker character.

Parts 1 and 2 followed the original story pretty closely.  But there were a few things that were changed, like Orrey's injury (injured leg instead of loosing an arm), and the fact that Orrey was killed before the end of the book.  When they made Part 3 into a movie, the first thing they did was to kill off Orrey's character.

Part 3 really was a dissapointment, but at least it comes in the DVD set, so you will not actually waste any money when you buy it.

I have North and South, Heaven and Hell and Love and War.  Love John Jakes novels.
I think Terri Garbor played Ashton perfectly.  She said in an interview once that people would call her a bitch for years after N&S.
In the novels Orry has a brother named Cooper who doesn't appear in the miniseries.
Haven't watched part 3, thanks for the warning Shrumie.

Written By: Mushroom on 05/02/07 at 2:07 pm

In the novels Orry has a brother named Cooper who doesn't appear in the miniseries.
Haven't watched part 3, thanks for the warning Shrumie.

Actually he finally appears in #3.  Cooper does appear in Heaven & Hell, and is played by Robert Wagner.

Actually, I think that the producers had watched Delirious before he was cast, because every time I watch H&H, it reminds me of his appearance in that movie.

But Robert did a great job, since nothing could really have saved the script.  The other surprising casting choice in that movie was that of Tom Noonan as Will Fenway.  Anybody that remembers the original movie version of Red Dragon (under the name Manhunter) will recognize him as Francis Dollarhyde.

Written By: spaceace on 05/02/07 at 4:39 pm

Actually he finally appears in #3.  Cooper does appear in Heaven & Hell, and is played by Robert Wagner.

Actually, I think that the producers had watched Delirious before he was cast, because every time I watch H&H, it reminds me of his appearance in that movie.

But Robert did a great job, since nothing could really have saved the script.  The other surprising casting choice in that movie was that of Tom Noonan as Will Fenway.  Anybody that remembers the original movie version of Red Dragon (under the name Manhunter) will recognize him as Francis Dollarhyde.

That I don't remember.  Of course it has been a few years.  Wagner is a fine actor, they should thank their lucky stars they got him.

You know one of Robert Mitchem's final acting roles was a Constance Hazards father in N&S part 1.

There were so many great actors that did cameos.  Didn't Liz Taylor play a Madam that employed Ashton?

Written By: Gis on 05/02/07 at 4:52 pm

Was Patrick Swayze in it or am I getting confused with something else?

Written By: spaceace on 05/02/07 at 4:53 pm

Was Patrick Swayze in it or am I getting confused with something else?

Yep, he played Orry Main.

Written By: Gis on 05/03/07 at 1:28 am

It really was an all star cast!

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 05/03/07 at 4:30 am

Indeed, David Carradine was all nasty menace as Justin LaMotte, as he tortured poor Madeline, keeping her zombied with drugs at their estate. I loved the scene where Orry and Madeline first made love in the ruins of the church. Also loved the scene where Madeline went at Justin with the sword and sliced his face!  :o It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, especially after he had Mama Sally murdered. I still say Elkanah was the ultimate meanie for killing Constance and for killing Orry in Heaven & Hell, though!  >:( It was sad when Mont Royal (the Maine estate) was burned to the ground... I've been to the actual estate in South Carolina where the mini-series was filmed and it's beautiful, of course. Darn, I think I'm going to have to invest in purchasing the DVD versions now to watch this again (I'm sure my Mom has replaced her video tapes with DVDs by now!)  ;D

Written By: spaceace on 05/03/07 at 5:57 am

It really was an all star cast!

Yes it was.  Like I was saying some very famous actors and actresses did cameos. :)

Written By: spaceace on 05/03/07 at 6:01 am

Indeed, David Carradine was all nasty menace as Justin LaMotte, as he tortured poor Madeline, keeping her zombied with drugs at their estate. I loved the scene where Orry and Madeline first made love in the ruins of the church. Also loved the scene where Madeline went at Justin with the sword and sliced his face!  :o It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, especially after he had Mama Sally murdered. I still say Elkanah was the ultimate meanie for killing Constance and for killing Orry in Heaven & Hell, though!  >:( It was sad when Mont Royal (the Maine estate) was burned to the ground... I've been to the actual estate in South Carolina where the mini-series was filmed and it's beautiful, of course. Darn, I think I'm going to have to invest in purchasing the DVD versions now to watch this again (I'm sure my Mom has replaced her video tapes with DVDs by now!)  ;D

I kind of thought Bent was the perfect slimeball, I loved his character for that reason.  David Carradine did do an excellent job as Justine.  The whole miniseries was just so intriguing.  It's hard to believe it's been over 20 years.

Written By: Gis on 05/03/07 at 8:00 am

I've been to the actual estate in South Carolina where the mini-series was filmed and it's beautiful, of course. Darn, I think I'm going to have to invest in purchasing the DVD versions now to watch this again (I'm sure my Mom has replaced her video tapes with DVDs by now!)  ;D
I was thinking the same.  ;D

Written By: spaceace on 05/03/07 at 8:02 am

I was thinking the same.  ;D

The South does have some beautiful Plantations.

I'm thinking of a road trip just to see that one. :)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/05/07 at 5:23 am

It was a great mini series. I still have it on beta video tape!!

I agree that they just dont make mini series like they use to - it really was a 70s and 80s phenomena,  both in the US and in Aus.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/06/07 at 7:07 pm

I love these books.  I just may have to hit the library and start reading them again.  The mini-series was great, too.  Patrick Swayze could have alot to do with my opinion of the show. ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...