inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bosom Buddies

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/30/07 at 7:38 pm

I know I've discussed this show with a few of you before...but I thought I would make a seperate thread for it specifically.  Who was your favorite character on the show?  I really really liked Amy...she reminds me of myself a bit.  It makes me so sad that she (Wendie Jo Sperber) passed away from breast cancer...she was such a bubbly person.  I sure hope that they release the second season of this show...because now since I've watched season 1...I am all ready for the next one!

Subject: Re: Bosom Buddies

Written By: spaceace on 04/30/07 at 7:41 pm

Kip was my favorite.  He was just so spontaneous.  I miss the show.  I also liked Donna Dixon's charactor.  What was her name????

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/30/07 at 7:45 pm

Kip was my favorite.  He was just so spontaneous.  I miss the show.  I also liked Donna Dixon's charactor.  What was her name????

Sonny..Sonny..Sonny....hahaah, I get a kick out of how Kip always said it like that.

Do you think that Peter Scolari (Henry) was totally hot?  I think he was....so so cute. :D

Written By: whistledog on 04/30/07 at 8:35 pm

So many characters, I like them all, with the exception of Lilly (Lucille Benson).  I never cared much for her at all; In the second season, she exits the show, and Isabel (Telma Hopkins) becomes the new manager of the hotel

I really liked Holland Taylor as Ruth in this show.  She plays that type of person who only cares about herself, like she's done in just about every series she's been in, and she always plays it so well! 8)

I actually taught myself how to juggle because I was always fascinated when I'd see Peter Scolari do it on this series and Newhart.  He is a qualified circus arts performer.  I'd never be able to juggle as good as him, but one day maybe. lol

Some people are actually refusing to buy the DVD set because the show's 1980-1982 series run used "My Life" by Billy Joel as the theme, but for the DVD it is replaced with "Shake Me Loose" by Stephanie Mills.  The latter was actually the show's original theme, written specifically for the show (an instrumental version of it was always used as the closing credits), but was dropped in favour of "My Life.  Originally, re-runs of the show used "Shake Me Loose" to avoid copyrights, but sometimes episodes with "My Life" are often seen in syndication
I've watched the show in reruns for so many years, I remember both themes, and I actually prefer "Shake Me Loose" cause it is original to the show.  If I want to hear "My Life", then I'll listen to a Billy Joel album lol

I think CBS/Paramount did an excellent job with the DVD set! :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/30/07 at 8:38 pm

So many characters, I like them all, with the exception of Lilly (Lucille Benson).  I never cared much for her at all; In the second season, she exits the show, and Isabel (Telma Hopkins) becomes the new manager of the hotel

I really liked Holland Taylor as Ruth in this show.  She plays that type of person who only cares about herself, like she's done in just about every series she's been in, and she always plays it so well! 8)

I actually taught myself how to juggle because I was always fascinated when I'd see Peter Scolari do it on this series and Newhart.  He is a qualified circus arts performer.  I'd never be able to juggle as good as him, but one day maybe. lol

Some people are actually refusing to buy the DVD set because the show's 1980-1982 series run used "My Life" by Billy Joel as the theme, but for the DVD it is replaced with "Shake Me Loose" by Stephanie Mills.  The latter was actually the show's original theme, written specifically for the show (an instrumental version of it was always used as the closing credits), but was dropped in favour of "My Life.  Originally, re-runs of the show used "Shake Me Loose" to avoid copyrights, but sometimes episodes with "My Life" are often seen in syndication
I've watched the show in reruns for so many years, I remember both themes, and I actually prefer "Shake Me Loose" cause it is original to the show.  If I want to hear "My Life", then I'll listen to a Billy Joel album lol

I think CBS/Paramount did an excellent job with the DVD set! :)

wow..karma for all of the great tidbits.  Hahaha...that lady (Lucille Benson) that plays Lily....she has the most unique and odd sounding voice....I always laugh when she says certain words...her pronunciation cracks me up! ;D

Written By: whistledog on 04/30/07 at 8:51 pm

wow..karma for all of the great tidbits.  Hahaha...that lady (Lucille Benson) that plays Lily....she has the most unique and odd sounding voice....I always laugh when she says certain words...her pronunciation cracks me up! ;D

She does have quite an od sounding voice yes! lol 
My fave episode from the First Season is the one with Bob Saget, where Isabel performs at the club and she keeps screwing up ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/30/07 at 8:52 pm

She does have quite an od sounding voice yes! lol 
My fave episode from the First Season is the one with Bob Saget, where Isabel performs at the club and she keeps screwing up ;D

haha...I just watched that one the other night.  And Henry and Kip have to keep helping with bussing tables/washing dishes, etc...in order for the owner to let Isabel perform. LOL! ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/01/07 at 11:54 am

Saw it once, it was ok of a show I guess.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/01/07 at 12:16 pm

I loved the hell out of this show!!!

Factoid: Rita Wilson appeared on the show as a witch. Go figure, she and Tom Hanks are now married!

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/07 at 1:51 pm

I loved the hell out of this show!!!

Factoid: Rita Wilson appeared on the show as a witch. Go figure, she and Tom Hanks are now married!

I remember that episode.  That was where they first met.  They later did a movie together in 1985 called "Volunteers" which is where they got romantically involved

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/02/07 at 4:22 am

As I posted in another "Bosom Buddies" thread, I acutally met & kinda knew Donna "Sunny" Dixon.

My mom performed at her father's club, "Earl Dixon's Hillbilly Heaven", back in '78 & '79.
As I did "Cameo" performances in my mom's shows, I naturally met the Dixon clan, including Donna.

Trivia Note: Earl Dixon is Dolly Parton's uncle...making Dolly & Donna cousins.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/02/07 at 10:41 am

As I posted in another "Bosom Buddies" thread, I acutally met & kinda knew Donna "Sunny" Dixon.

My mom performed at her father's club, "Earl Dixon's Hillbilly Heaven", back in '78 & '79.
As I did "Cameo" performances in my mom's shows, I naturally met the Dixon clan, including Donna.

Trivia Note: Earl Dixon is Dolly Parton's uncle...making Dolly & Donna cousins.

oh wow! That's really cool. I think she was beautiful back during that show...but now it looks like she's had one too many cosmetic surgeries. :-\\

Written By: spaceace on 05/02/07 at 10:49 am

Didn't Dan Ackrode marry her?  I suppose stranger things have happened.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/02/07 at 10:50 am

Didn't Dan Ackrode marry her?  I suppose stranger things have happened.

yes..they've been married for a number of years.

Written By: spaceace on 05/02/07 at 10:54 am

yes..they've been married for a number of years.

Probably one of the most stable marriage in Hollyweird.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/02/07 at 10:54 am

Probably one of the most stable marriage in Hollyweird.

tis true. ;)

Written By: whistledog on 05/02/07 at 3:27 pm

They met on the set of 'Doctor Detroit' in 1983 and have been married ever since :)

They have a summer home right here in my fair city, so often they will make appearances at events.  Aykroyd really seems to love it here, though I still can't figure out why lol

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/03/07 at 4:13 am

oh wow! That's really cool. I think she was beautiful back during that show...but now it looks like she's had one too many cosmetic surgeries. :-\\

Wouldn't know...haven't seen her since "Spies Like Us".

I remember, her younger sister, Sherry, used to drive me around in her Trans-Am, with a phone book in the Passenger's seat, so I could look around.
Not a bad girlfriend, for a 4 yr. old!

(Yes- she called herself my 'girlfriend'.) 8)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/24/07 at 11:42 am

yeayyy its finally getting an Aussie DVD release
http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/793569

when my copy arrives I will let you know which theme song they use.

Written By: whistledog on 06/05/07 at 10:47 pm

Apparently the exclusion of "My Life" didn't affect the sales of Season 1 ...

Coming September 4, 2007 ...

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c362/godeltsihw/BosomBuddies2.jpg

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/05/07 at 11:12 pm

Apparently the exclusion of "My Life" didn't affect the sales of Season 1 ...

Coming September 4, 2007 ...

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c362/godeltsihw/BosomBuddies2.jpg

WOOT!! I cannot wait!! :)

Written By: whistledog on 09/21/07 at 11:22 am

I'd totally forgotten S2 was coming out Sept. 7th.  I never recall seeing it at Wal-Mart.  I went to Best Buy today, and there it was for $29.99

S2 is the best!  The guy's finally come out in the open with Sonny and the show just gets better and better 8)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/21/07 at 12:55 pm

I'd totally forgotten S2 was coming out Sept. 7th.  I never recall seeing it at Wal-Mart.  I went to Best Buy today, and there it was for $29.99

S2 is the best!  The guy's finally come out in the open with Sonny and the show just gets better and better 8)

oh man...I've gotta get this one soon. Also, Ghost Whisperer Season 2 comes out this month too...now only if they would release another Mama's Family. :D

Written By: whistledog on 09/21/07 at 1:00 pm

oh man...I've gotta get this one soon. Also, Ghost Whisperer Season 2 comes out this month too...now only if they would release another Mama's Family. :D

Ghost Whisperer Season 2 is already out.  It's like over $50 :o

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/21/07 at 1:03 pm

Ghost Whisperer Season 2 is already out.  It's like over $50 :o

oh wow! I will wait awhile and see if I can pick it up at a used CD/movie store.

Written By: whistledog on 09/29/07 at 9:37 am

"Some episodes may be edited from their original network versions"

I didn't think I would be disapopointed by this at all, but in one episode, I really was ...

I was looking forward to the episode where Henry goes to jail for buying a stolen VCR because there was a real funny scene where the guys do a broadway style dance with the prisoners in the cell, but sadly that scene was cut :(

You can see a piece of it in the closing credits though, which would be confusing to people who don't remember the episode.  They'd be like "Hey, I don't remember seeing that scene"

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/29/07 at 7:15 pm

"Some episodes may be edited from their original network versions"

I didn't think I would be disapopointed by this at all, but in one episode, I really was ...

I was looking forward to the episode where Henry goes to jail for buying a stolen VCR because there was a real funny scene where the guys do a broadway style dance with the prisoners in the cell, but sadly that scene was cut :(

You can see a piece of it in the closing credits though, which would be confusing to people who don't remember the episode.  They'd be like "Hey, I don't remember seeing that scene"

why do they always have to do crap like that? >:(

Written By: whistledog on 10/05/07 at 11:20 am

So I'm in Wal-Mart this morning, and what do I see ... they are having some kind of end of summer blow-out sale with several TV on DVD sets in a 2/$35 deal, and one of them was Season 2 of 'Bosom Buddies'.  If only I'd known I could've had it for $17.50, I would have waited to buy it

Check for new replies or respond here...