inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Travelling Wilburys

Written By: whistledog on 05/10/07 at 7:30 am

The Travelling Wilburys was a supergroup created by Jeff Lynne and George Harrison, and also featuring Roy Orbison, Tom Petty and Bob Dylan.  Initially they got together in 1987 to record a B-side for a George Harrison single, and eventually decided to make an album together. 

They would go on and release two successful albums: 'Travelling Wilburys Volume 1' and 'Travelling Wilburys Volume 3' .  Many speculate that there was no Volume 2 because all of the members appear on Tom Petty's 1989 album 'Full Moon Fever', so it is often considered the 2nd Wilburys record.

When Roy Orbison passed away in 1988, Del Shannon was in consideration to be his replacement, but his abrubt suicide in early 1990 forced the remaining members to continue on as a quartet

Here's the North America and UK hit singles ...

Travelling Wilburys
1988 - Handle With Care
1989 - End of the Line
1990 - Nobody's Child
1990 - She's My Baby
1991 - The Wilbury Twist
1991 - Inside Out

Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever
1989 - Free Fallin'
1989 - I Won't Back Down
1989 - Runnin' Down A Dream
1990 - A Face in the Crowd

Subject: Re: Travelling Wilburys

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/07 at 7:32 am

In June this year the two previous albums by the Travelling Wilburys, will be released as a double CD.

Written By: whistledog on 05/10/07 at 7:42 am

In June this year the two previous albums by the Travelling Wilburys, will be released as a double CD.

That's what I've been hearing.  Apparently the widows of Orbison and Harrison have given the go-ahead, and the disco will include some bonus tracks

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/07 at 7:45 am

That's what I've been hearing.  Apparently the widows of Orbison and Harrison have given the go-ahead, and the disco will include some bonus tracks
Apparently it will be 3 volumes.

Read here.

Written By: whistledog on 05/10/07 at 7:50 am

Read here.

So it's like a box set with bonus DVD and collectors book.  That's cool.  It's been long overdue that these CD's get re-issued

Written By: Kenosha on 05/10/07 at 11:48 am

Read here.

You may already know this but their first album was called Volume 1 and their second album was titled Volume 3. They only recorded 2 albums.

Written By: Mushroom on 05/10/07 at 4:54 pm

And don't forget the 5th Wilbury:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YokNQw_eK6Y

The same Wilbury also played and sang on the "Cloud Nine" album, which was where the entire idea for the group came from in the first place.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/10/07 at 7:09 pm

The Traveling Wilburys really piqued my interest at the time they appeared.  Collaborations weren't new, as many artists experimented with working together then.  However, not since CSNY can I recall such a powerhouse of well established stars coming together and taking on a new group identity.  Besides, I liked and/or admired all the individuals that made up the group.  Thus I was hooked by the first album.

Sadly, after Orbison's death in late '88, the promise of the group never quite played out...    :-\\

Thanks for all the info on the upcoming release!  :)

Written By: Kajagoogootimes on 05/11/07 at 9:45 am

Does anyone know the B-Side song that they recorded for George Harrison?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/07 at 11:56 am

Does anyone know the B-Side song that they recorded for George Harrison?
Details of the discs from the Traveling Wilburys can be found here.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/17/07 at 5:30 pm

Frikkin' boring!

Check for new replies or respond here...