inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: h

Written By: tetratron on 05/22/07 at 12:31 am

:-X

Subject: Re: Expensive in he 80's, dirt cheap Now & Dirt Cheap in the 80's, expensive now.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/22/07 at 12:42 am

Expensive in the '80s: VCRs, video games (as the OP mentioned), most tech.

CDs were about the same, I think. I never bought any myself until Fall 1998, but I recall browsing the aisles at mall music stores in the very late '80s, and certainly early-mid '90s. I think the typical popular or good-selling albums were 15 to 20 bucks. It's slightly less now probably, considering the change of worth in money over time too, lol.

Interestingly, even though they peaked in the '80s for popularity, I believe audio cassettes were a little less. I'm pretty sure it was around 6-9 bucks from what I've observed later. In the pretty recent past (late '90s and up to, like 2003) when they were still kinda around to buy brand new, they were typically 10.99 or so.

Most economic things were less, like gas, groceries and houses.

Subject: Re: Expensive in he 80's, dirt cheap Now & Dirt Cheap in the 80's, expensive now.

Written By: Gis on 05/22/07 at 6:34 am

Yeah, I remember VCR's and cd's being expensive. It would have been about 1988 when I first bought a couple of cd's too.

Subject: Re: Expensive in he 80's, dirt cheap Now & Dirt Cheap in the 80's, expensive now

Written By: Dave79 on 05/22/07 at 6:56 am

Yeah, I remember VCR's and cd's being expensive. It would have been about 1988 when I first bought a couple of cd's too.

Yea I remember VCR's being a 900 bucks each I'm the mid 80s and knowing we would never have one, we did get one but it was about 5 years later when they were around $5-600. Cd players! being hundreds and being one disc standalone! Wow now 15 bucks for a cheap personal.  I remember the 8.99 LP versions of albums Vs the 12/13.00 cassette and the 16 dollar CD!  LP's and cassettes was the way to go for us young ones with little cash!  Ohh.. and four digit cars on the Price is Right in the 80s.

--
Dave. 

Subject: Re: Expensive in he 80's, dirt cheap Now & Dirt Cheap in the 80's, expensive now

Written By: Lindee on 05/22/07 at 9:29 am

The first CD I bought was about $16.00.

Written By: Mushroom on 05/22/07 at 5:19 pm

And don't forget how much pre-recorded VCR tapes were.  I remember when my step-dad bought his first VCR in 1981.  Even a movie like Xanadu or The First Family was normally around $100.  Thankfully, we had Video Rental places spring up on almost every corner, which provided us with our movies at a much better price.

Now, video rental and sales has reversed.  With most movies selling in the $10-15 range, video rental places have largely gone the way of the Betamax.

One thing that has pretty much remained the same however is computers.  A good computer in 1985-1990 cost around $1,000.  A good computer today will cost you around the same amount of money, but will be a lot more powerful, and do things they never even thought of 20 years ago.

However, the market is now flooded with $300-400 disposable computers, which really messes up people like me that still build quality units.

Written By: Dave79 on 05/23/07 at 12:59 am

Yea even blank VHS tapes were about 10-12 dollars a pop. :o I still use blank VHS tapes, now cost about 70 cents each for a cheapo. The SVHS 2/8 hour blanks are about 4-5 dollars each I use those for my best recordings. I still haven't went to DVD don't know when or if I ever will. I have stuff taped from around 20 years or so ago and it still looks great on those 12 dollar blanks.

--
Dave.

Written By: Gis on 05/23/07 at 1:29 am

Thinking about it it must have been 1989 when I got my first cd's because I got a stereo for my 21st birthday and it had a cd player on it!  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/23/07 at 9:26 am

^Same here, actually. My parents also bought a huge one-piece dual cassette/CD boombox in late 1989, very old-school looking. So even if I didn't actually buy my own CDs until '98 (which I used in that very same one - it lasted until 2001), I at least used them before then, lol.

Written By: KKay on 05/23/07 at 9:50 am

cheap in the 80s? retro dresses and other clothes. I was one of those girls in 82 wearing stuff from the 40s and 50s.  now you pay through the nose. in the hundreds!  i rememmber getting a great 50s dress for about 4 $. 

Written By: Gis on 05/23/07 at 3:22 pm

^Same here, actually. My parents also bought a huge one-piece dual cassette/CD boombox in late 1989, very old-school looking (which lasted until 2001). So even if I didn't actually buy my own CDs until 1998 (which I used in that very same one), I at least used them before then, lol.
I'm still using the same stereo now though the radio and tape decks don't work any more and the turntable is on it's last legs too.  :-\\

Written By: KKay on 05/23/07 at 3:48 pm

I'm still using the same stereo now though the radio and tape decks don't work any more and the turntable is on it's last legs too.  :-\\

i have the turntable that i had in the 80s/  not so small, but works great.

Written By: Marian on 05/26/07 at 12:57 pm

cheap in the 80s? retro dresses and other clothes. I was one of those girls in 82 wearing stuff from the 40s and 50s.  now you pay through the nose. in the hundreds!  i rememmber getting a great 50s dress for about 4 $.   
I know!i wish I had bought more then!

Check for new replies or respond here...