inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: It's summer 1986...

Written By: LittleMissUsername on 05/22/07 at 1:41 pm

it's a summer night in 1986, what were you doing? What fashion crimes are you guilty of? 

After my job at the mall pet store ,I would have found a way to go to a teen club called Club Soda. Or may be Numbers, if there was a band I liked playing.
I'd have on my" new wave " gear...Black  cut up t-shirt over a dark purple tank, fish nets over my arms, dark grey pencil skirt and tall black riding boots. To top it off, I'd wear my black leather jacker, no mater what the temp.  My eye shadow, mascara and lip stick matched my purple tank .  My  hair was a cute bob that was blue black.
  I would be armed with a Memorex cassette tape to give to the DJ.  For five bucks he would copy what he played that night. And he was (my crush)totally awesome, complete with long bangs. I would have so much fun dance ,dance ,dance,  Flirt , Flirt , Flirt, with out a care in the world. *sigh*

So what about you?

Subject: Re: It's summer 1986...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/22/07 at 1:58 pm

I was 20 years old, on break from college and working as a hostess at Tony Roma's... :D

Modified to add:  I also flew up to Japan that summer for my eldest brother's wedding...

Written By: Paul on 05/22/07 at 2:11 pm

I created an almost legendary 'fashion accident' back in the summer of '86...

Picture, if you dare, me in a very loud shirt...white trousers (!)...pale grey slip-on loafers and (gulp!) highlighted hair!  :o

(Well, I was on holiday...I wouldn't have had the guts to have walked the streets of my neighbourhood dressed like that!  :D)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/22/07 at 2:15 pm

Picture, if you dare, me in a very loud shirt...white trousers (!)...pale grey slip-on loafers and (gulp!) highlighted hair!  :o

Got any pictures to post?  :D ;)

So...a very loud shirt, eh?

You weren't by any chance wearing an aloha shirt, were you?  ;D

Written By: Paul on 05/22/07 at 2:19 pm

Got any pictures to post?  :D ;)

I should hope not!  :D

So...a very loud shirt, eh?

You weren't by any chance wearing an aloha shirt, were you?  ;D

Not a Hawaiian shirt, but frighteningly close to one!

(As an aside, my neighbour (who has no shame whatsoever), has a wardrobe full of 'em!  :D)

Written By: spaceace on 05/22/07 at 2:22 pm

I went to a party wearing a pink oxford shirt, blue jean overralls and bright blue Mary Jane flats. . . NEVER AGAIN :P

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/22/07 at 2:23 pm

I should hope not!  :D

Awwww...but I wanna see!  ;)

Not a Hawaiian shirt, but frighteningly close to one!

Eek!  :o

(As an aside, my neighbour (who has no shame whatsoever), has a wardrobe full of 'em!  :D)

Oh God!  :P

Written By: Paul on 05/22/07 at 2:47 pm

Awwww...but I wanna see!  ;)

I think you'd be better off just conjuring up the image in your imagination, young Karen...

...a photograph of the 'real thing' would just be too distressing!  :o

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/22/07 at 2:51 pm

I think you'd be better off just conjuring up the image in your imagination, young Karen...

...a photograph of the 'real thing' would just be too distressing!  :o

Whatever!  ::) ;)

Written By: Tia on 05/22/07 at 3:01 pm

did breakfast club come out in 1985 or 86? if it was 86, then the summer of that year i would have been hopelessly in love with my high school sweetheart claire, and we were going out to see old movies at the odeon inner circle theater, skipping school to go make out, and just generally being love-struck puppies. if breakfast club came out in 85, then i was doing lots of hard drugs, hanging around with hooligans and thugs, and trying to figure out a way to get rid of my dorky, geeky girlfriend claire.

i’m not going to say mistakes weren’t made.

anyway, the reason i only remember this in relation to the breakfast club is because she hated that movie, cuzza the whole “claire is a fat girl’s name” line.

Written By: LittleMissUsername on 05/22/07 at 4:13 pm

Picture, if you dare, me in a very loud shirt

Was your shirt NEON?  I recall that being in every mall window for a few years.

Also, Tia, Do you know any Varookas?

Written By: Paul on 05/22/07 at 4:21 pm

Was your shirt NEON?   I recall that being in every mall window for a few years.

Probably not, if that was an American brand...as I'm British (for all my sins!)

I was more the 'Avanti' range at C&A... :D

(Well, at the time it looked good!  :-[)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/22/07 at 5:33 pm

Was your shirt NEON?   I recall that being in every mall window for a few years.

I never liked those bright, neon clothes that were popular at the time... :P

Written By: Tia on 05/22/07 at 5:50 pm

Also, Tia, Do you know any Varookas?
just that one who was obsessed with the golden candy bar. :P

Written By: karen on 05/23/07 at 3:27 am

Depending when in summer '86.  I started my first job on 1st August that year.

Clotheswise my absolute favourite outfit of the summer was a bright pink vest top worn with flowered cotton ski pants.  I also had a lovely drop-waist plain grey dress and another in denim blue with a sort of tie dye effect (or was it bleached streaks?).  Make up would be pale foundation, black mascara, white and black eyeliner, silver/grey shadow and red lipstick.  If I was wearing my blue sress I might draw a couple of small blue butterflies on my left cheek.

Friday nights would usually be down to The Three Nuns pub for a few drinks, wander up to The Griffin Inn for one and then back to the Three Nuns in time for closing.  Saturday nights would usually be more of the same although occasionally we went to The Greyhound for a Sixties night or perhaps a local band would be playing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/23/07 at 4:01 am

I remember seeing the Royal Wedding of the Summer of 1986, Prince Andrew to Sarah Ferguson.

Written By: thereshegoes on 05/23/07 at 5:59 am

Eight years old
I was in love with a boy
Eight years old
My only love meant the world
We'd hang out
Play catch and kiss at lunch time
I was young he was something to call mine
I'd be lying if I said I was not
Devastated and broken when he
Opened my hand slid his in
Then walked away
It was bad
The only eight year old kid suicidal
In the school
Convinced I was down to survival
Melodramatic in my usual way
I was sure that the whole world would end
When the boy left that day
And it did

There's always a song about every year of my life :o

Written By: LittleMissUsername on 05/23/07 at 8:02 am

denim blue with a sort of tie dye effect (or was it bleached streaks?). 

Acid wash.    Man was it every were and expensive.  Too rich for my thrift store budget.  I rocked vests too, only mine were earth tones.

your make up sounds hella cool.  Any pictures?

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 05/23/07 at 8:27 am

Best thing I can remember about the summer of '86 is my favourite aunt and uncle giving me a cassette copy of Eurythmics Revenge for my birthday. I played it to death and then some and still love it to this day. Of course, I have since updated it to CD. Worst thing: My mother anouncing in her typically loud (read loud enough for the whole cafe to hear) voice : "Dee can get undressed on the beach, she doesn't have a bra!" (MUM!!!)
No fashion crimes, other than convincing my mother, despite her tears, that I just had to have a pair of track'n'field pants.Everyone else at school had them, after all! I was yet to wear them with odd fluro socks. ::)

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/23/07 at 8:40 am

No offense, but I find threads like these to be kinda excluditory. I guess because of the way it's worded, it seems to take for granted that everyone was not only "there" but old enough to party or go out on their own to an extent (let's say 15 or 16, so born before 1971). Of course it's not intentionally meant to be that way, but it does tend to shut out some people from contributing.

That being said, if I were close to the age I am now back in 1986, I could see myself being like alot, say some of the guys from Police Academy or even the real Marty McFly perhaps. My fashion sense wouldn't be too different from how it currently is, although I'd have bigger hair probably, lol.

In real life, I was 4 and three quarters old, and just was starting to get a concise memory, although it wasn't that detailed yet. My parents and I had just moved into my favorite childhood house on a golf course (where we'd stay for a few years, until I'd just turned 9), and I think I spent most of that summer lying around the house and enjoying the time off before starting Kindergarden.

Written By: karen on 05/23/07 at 8:52 am

Acid wash.    Man was it every were and expensive.  Too rich for my thrift store budget.  I rocked vests too, only mine were earth tones.

Nah it wasn't acid wash.  It was blue cotton with either white tie dye effect or maybe white streaks.  I'll ask my mum if she can remember - she helped me make the dress.

your make up sounds hella cool.  Any pictures?

Not sure.  We supposed to be help my parents clear some rooms in their house over the summer so some might turn up.

Written By: Gis on 05/23/07 at 9:10 am

Hmm I would be right in the middle of my final exams at college  :P

I was a glam metal chick and going out would be to rock gigs where I reviewed bands for a local music paper and drank lots of beer! My best friend and I met late in 1985 and went to our first gig in january 1986 so we would have been hanging out alot and talking on the phone for hours.  ;D 

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/23/07 at 1:40 pm

Acid wash.    Man was it every were and expensive.

I loved acid-wash jeans with the zippers at the bottom of the leg!  8)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/23/07 at 2:28 pm

Well...I was 9 years old, and my summers included: playing with my sister Brandy (who was 5 at the time) and the neighborhood kids. We would ride bikes, having singing contests, make lemonade stands, swim in our pool, play in our clubhouse, catch fireflies, eat Popsicles, draw on the sidewalks with chalk, play out in the rain in the gutters, dance underneath the streetlights at dusk, do cartwheels and somersaults in the neighbors big yard, play games like Red Rover, and German spotlight.

We also as a family would go on vacations to Wildwood, NJ to the beach, for a week or so...that was always such a fun time.

Written By: KC Time Machine on 05/23/07 at 2:39 pm

Summer of 1986 would have meant getting ready for the start of my Freshman year of HS... spending time with my niece who was just born... listening to Mets games on the radio (hoping they'd lose!)... and probably playing wiffle ball & riding bikes with the neighborhood kids.

Written By: SharpshooterTom on 05/23/07 at 6:21 pm

I was born!  :D

August the 4th to be precise.  Will be turning 21 this year ;)

Written By: robby76 on 05/23/07 at 11:38 pm

Summer '86 would definitely have been vacation time with the family to some beach resort. We may have done Club Med that year in fact. So that would be dinner at the restaurant, maybe a game of pool and then to the hotel room to watch the in-house movies and play cards... hey I was only 10!  :D

Oh and the album of summer 86 was Five Star's Silk & Steel. That was on in the car ALL the time.

Written By: Tia on 05/24/07 at 7:59 am

No offense, but I find threads like these to be kinda excluditory. I guess because of the way it's worded, it seems to take for granted that everyone was not only "there" but old enough to party or go out on their own to an extent (let's say 15 or 16, so born before 1971).
feel lucky if you're not. :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/24/07 at 8:01 pm

I was 10 and playing until the street light came on. I was wearing some hot pink shorts with some hot pink jellies on my feet and an hot orange off-the-shoulder shirt that said hot stuff. Yeah I was pretty much into the neon life. Oh, and my hair was most likely in Stevie Wonder cornrows or in a side ponytail.

Written By: Satish on 05/24/07 at 8:25 pm

Let's see... I would have been 6 years old, and just about to start the second grade. I switched schools between the first and second grade, so I would have been going to a new school. The house I was living in at the time, my family had just moved into at the start of 1986.

I actually can't remember anything I did back then, though I know I was really into Transformers and Masters of the Universe at the time.

Written By: LittleMissUsername on 05/24/07 at 8:40 pm

OMG Jellies!  I forgot about Jellies.  I had a clear pair, but they got nasty real fast.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/25/07 at 8:36 pm

17 y.o.
Working in the produce dept. at Market Basket.
Hair dyed orange and black (to the disgust of my manager at Market Basket)
First earring, only piercing ever (earring-wearing years 1986--1989)
Main hangout: Harvard Square
Main source of attire: Oona's boutique in Harvard Square. New Wavey, Goth (term itself wasn't current quite yet)
First sex, well, attempted, no points off for trying...women and wine are a great thing, I had to settle for punk chix and wine coolers.
Rum & Coke (more rum than Coke)
The green guy.  You might know him. You might not.  'nuff said.
Siouxsie & The Banshees--Concert, May (Listening: "Tinderbox," "Juju," "Nocturne--Live"
Depeche Mode--Concert, June (Listening: All, esp. "Some Great Reward," "Black Celebration")
The Cure--Concert, July (Listening: "The Head on the Door," "Japanese Whispers," "Standing on the Beach--The Singles")
The Smiths--Concert, August (But I missed this one 'coz the bimbo who was supposed to get the tickets welched, she was never forgiven) (Listening: All!)
Aztec Camera--the High Land Hard Rain album is inextricably linked to the summer of '86 (though it came out 3 years earlier)
Cherry Garcia ice cream
Late Night with David Letterman, accompanied by Cherry Garcia.
Boredom.  Gotta get out of the house.  Gotta get out of the heat, but don't want to go back to the house.  Another cheezy movie to get out of the afternoon heat.
Townie metalheads driving by in rusty Monte Carlos and yelling, "Hey f*gg*t!"
Dust--thunder storms--rain--drying-out--cracked pavement.
Bus exhaust hanging inthe humidity.
The sickly smell of the subway stations.
Hare Krishnas, drunks, and schizophrenics on the Boston Common.
My neurotic sister coming home from college in Washington and pushing horrible macrobiotics on us, and equally horrible Seattle pre-grunge music. One advantage, she had the green guy with her.
Let's watch "Repo Man" again.

Depression.  Clinical depression setting in, creeping like the reaper, sowing the seeds of my destruction.
:o

Written By: Davester on 05/27/07 at 10:14 pm

I'll use Max's format...

Work: Are you kidding..?
Hair: Light brown, part down middle, feathered a little...
Piercings:  None...
Main hangout: Getting blue balls at girlfriend's house in Rodeo (neighboring town...), Beach...
Main source of attire: Street clothes - K-Mart, J.C. Penney, Party clothes - Chess King...
Sex: May '86.  Virginity - Lost...
Drink: Occasional peppermint Schnapps or Kahlúa straight,  Yuck..!
The green guy:  My role model...
Concert: Not until the fall.  Van Halen 5150...
Tube: Late Night with David Letterman, Johnny Carson, still MTV...
Boredom: Movies - 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off', 'Star Trek IV', comic books, hanging out with best friend John...
Misc: One more year of high school, then what?  Dad still in detox.  Girlfriend's dad has definately put out a contract on my life.  My step-sister is hella fine...  

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 05/27/07 at 10:27 pm

it's a summer night in 1986, what were you doing?

Nothing. The only thing I'm guilty of is not being born : (

Siouxsie & The Banshees--Concert, May (Listening: "Tinderbox," "Juju," "Nocturne--Live"
Depeche Mode--Concert, June (Listening: All, esp. "Some Great Reward," "Black Celebration")
The Cure--Concert, July (Listening: "The Head on the Door," "Japanese Whispers," "Standing on the Beach--The Singles")
The Smiths--Concert, August (But I missed this one 'coz the bimbo who was supposed to get the tickets welched, she was never forgiven) (Listening: All!)

I am SO jealous right now.

Written By: diofan on 05/27/07 at 11:31 pm

I'll use Max's Form as well:

Work: U.S. Army
Hair: Light brown, very little hair
Piercings:  None
Main hangout: NCO Club at Fort Benning GA
Main source of attire: Work: Battle Dress Uniform (The Camoflauge Uniforms) Off Duty: T- Shirt and Torn up jeans
Sex: Aug '84.  Virginity Lost...
Drink: Occasional Beer
The green guy:  Who?
Concert: AC/DC
Tube: Local TV Some MTV...
Boredom: Movies - Playing some good metal on the stereo
Misc: 3 more years of this B.S. and I'll be a civilian again!

Written By: whistledog on 05/27/07 at 11:46 pm

Hair: Brown, and completely uncombed lol
Main hangout: Local arcade at the mall
Main source of attire: street clothes from K-Mart and Woolco
Drink: Jungle Joose, an fruit thirst quencher available at Becker's Convenience Store
Concert: None
Tube: The Fall Guy, Knight Rider (both shows were in their last seasons)
Toys: Atari 7800, Masters of the Universe figures, Super Powers figures, Hot Wheels cars

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/28/07 at 9:39 pm

I'll use Max's format...

Work: Are you kidding..?
Hair: Light brown, part down middle, feathered a little...
Piercings:  None...
Main hangout: Getting blue balls at girlfriend's house in Rodeo (neighboring town...), Beach...
Main source of attire: Street clothes - K-Mart, J.C. Penney, Party clothes - Chess King...
Sex: May '86.  Virginity - Lost...
Drink: Occasional peppermint Schnapps or Kahlúa straight,  Yuck..!
The green guy:  My role model...
Concert: Not until the fall.  Van Halen 5150...
Tube: Late Night with David Letterman, Johnny Carson, still MTV...
Boredom: Movies - 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off', 'Star Trek IV', comic books, hanging out with best friend John...
Misc: One more year of high school, then what?  Dad still in detox.   Girlfriend's dad has definately put out a contract on my life.  My step-sister is hella fine...    

"Blue Balls at Rodeo Beach," could be an '80s teen flick!

Gwarsh, I'm jealous.  You didn't have to work and you lost it younger than I!
Summer of '86 was before I stopped shopping at Chess King...I was transitioning my wardrobe to a pre-Goth/New Romantic punk style.  I like my sartorial style better nowadays:  Don't give a damn so long as it won't get me picked up as a transient!

"Ferris Bueller's Day Off" I saw several times.  I didn't identify with Ferris at all, it was just a great movie.  As a dysthymic depressive, I did identify with Cameron a bit!  "When Cameron was in Egypt's land....let my Cameron goooo!"

You know what turned me off to peppermint Schnapp's 4eva?  Watching a girl drink 2/3 of a bottle of the stuff at a party whilst stuffing her face with cheese puffs, and then staggering outside, ejecting it all onto a maple stump, and then passing out on the lawn.  Not my house, not my party, not my girl...but a definite gross-out!  I mean, she was a gross girl to start with.  Rumor had it she'd **** any guy, but I never heard of any guy willing to test the hypothesis!

Another bad drug experience...that is, somebody else on drugs.  Bob.  Bob the acidhead.  The kid did so much acid he saw vapor trails all the time.  I needed a ride home.  I didn't have a car.  Bob did.  Bob was driving about 15 mph in a 45 mph zone.  His head was flexed forward like he was trying to see something waaaaay in the distance.  I realized he wasn't staring through the windshield.  He was staring AT the windshield, just studying the dead bugs and little striations.
"Bob."
No response.
"BOB!!!"
"Huh, whatthe fuuuu.....?"
"I think I can just walk the rest of the way, it's cool."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/28/07 at 9:58 pm

I am SO jealous right now.

Jealous?  I frikkin' missed THE SMITHS!  They weren't around that long.  They split up a year later after releasing their worst album, "Strangeways Here We Come."  It's one thing to not be around for the "Queen is Dead" tour.  It's quite other to have the opportunity to go...and lose it!

I was thinking of going to see Morrissey this time around.  But now he lives in Beverly Hills and looks like Tony Randall.  It just ain't the same!

Written By: Davester on 05/28/07 at 10:06 pm

"Blue Balls at Rodeo Beach," could be an '80s teen flick!

Gwarsh, I'm jealous.  You didn't have to work and you lost it younger than I!
Summer of '86 was before I stopped shopping at Chess King...I was transitioning my wardrobe to a pre-Goth/New Romantic punk style.  I like my sartorial style better nowadays:  Don't give a damn so long as it won't get me picked up as a transient!

"Ferris Bueller's Day Off" I saw several times.  I didn't identify with Ferris at all, it was just a great movie.  As a dysthymic depressive, I did identify with Cameron a bit!  "When Cameron was in Egypt's land....let my Cameron goooo!"

You know what turned me off to peppermint Schnapp's 4eva?  Watching a girl drink 2/3 of a bottle of the stuff at a party whilst stuffing her face with cheese puffs, and then staggering outside, ejecting it all onto a maple stump, and then passing out on the lawn.  Not my house, not my party, not my girl...but a definite gross-out!  I mean, she was a gross girl to start with.  Rumor had it she'd **** any guy, but I never heard of any guy willing to test the hypothesis!

Another bad drug experience...that is, somebody else on drugs.  Bob.  Bob the acidhead.  The kid did so much acid he saw vapor trails all the time.  I needed a ride home.  I didn't have a car.  Bob did.  Bob was driving about 15 mph in a 45 mph zone.  His head was flexed forward like he was trying to see something waaaaay in the distance.  I realized he wasn't staring through the windshield.  He was staring AT the windshield, just studying the dead bugs and little striations.
"Bob."
No response.
"BOB!!!"
"Huh, whatthe fuuuu.....?"
"I think I can just walk the rest of the way, it's cool."

Blue Balls at Rodeo Beach...John Hughes' little-known venture into soft porn... :D

You should've seen this, so called beach..!  A sand-like substance in close proximity to the polluted water of the straight.  A little Motley Crue, a little grass, a little schnapps and we're good to go..!

Yeah, at 16 and a dyed-in-the-wool slacker.  Keep her expectations low, at all times...

Bob and party girl should've gotten together...

It's weird: If any movie could depict a day in my life at that particular time, it was Ferris Bueller's Day Off.  That's definately my downcast, still-tied-to-mom's-apron-strings, third wheel, best friend John, my try-anything-once girlfriend Chris and the scheming, fast talking, hookey playing me groove ;) on...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/28/07 at 10:37 pm

Blue Balls at Rodeo Beach...John Hughes' little-known venture into soft porn... :D

You should've seen this, so called beach..!  A sand-like substance in close proximity to the polluted water of the straight.  A little Motley Crue, a little grass, a little schnapps and we're good to go..!

Yeah, at 16 and a dyed-in-the-wool slacker.  Keep her expectations low, at all times...

Bob and party girl should've gotten together...

It's weird: If any movie could depict a day in my life at that particular time, it was Ferris Bueller's Day Off.  That's definately my downcast, still-tied-to-mom's-apron-strings, third wheel, best friend John, my try-anything-once girlfriend Chris and the scheming, fast talking, hookey playing me groove ;) on...

I played hookey a lot...but it was more like "Franz Kafka's Day Off"!
:-\\

Actually my teenage alcoholic girlfriend dumped me for Bob the acidhead.
My reaction?
Me: (Joe Pesce voice) "She dumped me for that LSD-soaked, fat f**kin' pile o' sh#t!" *
Todd (a short, goth Cameron):" Don't worry, they'll both get killed in a car wreck, doesn't matter who's driving."
(Lights his 24th cigarette of the hour).
Mind you, that wasn't the girl with the Schnapps.  I don't even remember her name, I think it was "the girl with the Schnapps."  This girl had one of those unique hippie-daughter names so I won't mention it here.  If she does a vanity google search, she'll know.  Call her Trina.  By the time Trina was 18 she was having massive blackouts and lost weekends.  It was better that we never got serious, 'coz a girl like that, you don't know where she's been and neither does she!  She now teaches special ed and has a boy of her own.  I don't know who the father is.  I don't know if she knows!  I don't know if he knows!
:P

* I fancied myself a little more refined than my peers, but when I lost my temper, forget it!

Written By: kellygoo72 on 05/29/07 at 12:53 am

I was having a ball and very nervous.. I was about to start High School... Wow, seems like a lifetime ago.. Guess it was?  The fashion dont I did was leggings and slouch socks.. Remember those? ;D

Written By: whistledog on 05/29/07 at 1:43 am

They split up a year later after releasing their worst album, "Strangeways Here We Come."

I wouldn't say that was their worst.  'Girlfriend in A Coma' was good

I never cared for the 'The World Won't Listen'

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/29/07 at 2:18 am

Summer of '86 I was getting ready for my senior year in high school.  My job was mainly baby-sitting.  Never did want kids after that experience.  lol 
Crimes of fashion?  Probably lots.  Mostly hair but other stuff in fashion too,  Is it a crime if you still want your hair to do what it did back then?  ;D

I had Sun-in and feathered back hair.  I work denim and lace shirts and as much purple and sparkley stuff as I could find.  Loved my purple leg warmers.  I wore alot of bows in my hair.  I remember getting my hair permed too, but I don't remember what year.  Tiny tight curls (which I hated) but I wanted big lucious curl with hair down to the center of my back. 

I was dating someone pretty seriously back during that summer.  He gave me a diamond chip ring as a promise ring.  I still remember how much it cost - $70 at the BEST warehouse jewelry department.  ;D 

Written By: karen on 05/29/07 at 4:20 am

New Wavey, Goth (term itself wasn't current quite yet)

The term Goth was certainly in use in the UK at this time.  In 84/85 the crowd I was with was described by others in the school as a mix of goths and grebs (that is metal fans)

Written By: star80 on 05/29/07 at 7:04 am

I was 28 years old and probably partying my butt off!!!

Written By: KKay on 05/29/07 at 10:16 am

oh my god. it's summer break from college.  I was off working at summer stock.  i had cut my hair short and really blonde. I always wore old cowboy boots and skirts...and novelty t's with the sleeves cut off.  tons of bracelets.  giant earrings.  I was the dj at every party. 

thanks for making me think about it. how much fun!!!

Written By: airsupplyairhead on 05/29/07 at 1:45 pm

I was looking forward to my high school senior year.

Written By: woops on 05/30/07 at 2:07 am

I was in diapers  :D

Written By: Watcher29 on 05/30/07 at 7:38 am

Scary, but I don't remember what I was doing in the summer of '86. I was 15 years old, so probably helping my dad mow yards for money. He had a lot of large yards to mow, a couple of cemeteries and that sort of thing. He actually made pretty good money doing it. 

Written By: san018 on 05/30/07 at 8:39 pm

was cruising at Hampton beach....in my 1978 2door chevy malibu classic!!!! 

Written By: KKay on 05/30/07 at 9:43 pm

I was in diapers  :D

karma for that! ;D

Written By: Davester on 05/31/07 at 12:34 am

was cruising at Hampton beach....in my 1978 2door chevy malibu classic!!!! 

Cool..!  I had bought a '77 Malibu in '92.  I don't know if the front-end was original.  Had the round headlights.  I wanted to restore it but was fiscally challenged at the time... 8)

Written By: san018 on 06/08/07 at 5:07 pm

Cool..!  I had bought a '77 Malibu in '92.  I don't know if the front-end was original.  Had the round headlights.  I wanted to restore it but was fiscally challenged at the time... 8)
  I wanted to strip mine down and drag race it after i got a new car in 88 but my step dad sold it to drunk friends and they totaled it that same weekend.....very sad....mine was all original..was my grandmas car....wow i miss that car..lol

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/11/07 at 2:48 pm

Hair: Brown, usually in braids with clips at the end that had my name on them.
Main hangout: Our open air mall.
Main source of attire: Mervyns, K-Mart (Target wasn't around yet), Renee's (a private shop that had adorable dresses)
Drink: I drank those Koala drinks a lot, and then they took them off the market (later they were brought back)
Concert: I don't remember any concerts from this time.
Tube: Punky Brewster, Pee Wee's Playhouse, 227, Amen, Mr. Belvedere, Saturday Night Live, Love Boat,Moonlighting (I REALLY liked this show), Macgyver, The Cosby Show. 
Toys: My Little Pony, She-Ra, Barbie dolls, etc.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/11/07 at 7:29 pm

Hair: Blonde
Main hangout: Mostly at home, summer camp
Main source of attire: whatever mom brought from K-Mart or Zellers
Drink: Gator-aid drink boxes, which I hated
Tube: The Fall Guy, Knight Rider, Inspector Gadget
Toys: Gi Joe, Masters of the Universe, Construx

Written By: KKay on 06/12/07 at 4:35 pm

nights in 1986 I was pretty much wearing this and doing this.

Written By: LittleMissUsername on 06/12/07 at 4:44 pm

nights in 1986 I was pretty much wearing this and doing this.

*gasp*  Sleeping sitting up in bars with boys of questionable reputations????I am shocked!

na, just joshing...you were adorable. mean totally rad, bitchen' even. what color were your poka dots?

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/14/07 at 2:18 am

Hair: Black, usually pulled back in a ponytail or pigtails with lots of ribbons.
Main hangout: The pool or the mall.
Main source of attire: Mervyn's, JCPenney
Drink: Sunny Delight!
Concert: Does the symphony orchestra with my Girl Scout troop count?
Tube: Family Ties, Facts of Life, Moonlighting, Miami Vice, 227
Toys: JEM and the Holograms!

I also remember wearing these magenta-colored sneakers with velcro straps instead of laces-wore them with almost everything whether it matched or not! ::SHUDDERS::  :-[

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/15/07 at 7:33 pm

I was 17 at the time, I'd hang out with my boyfriend John, if we were getting a long.  My best friends were Joann and Christine.  We'd go to movies or hang out at the mall. 

I was sort of preppy, wearing madras plaid shorts and polo shirts in pastel colors, penny loafers and socks pushed down, sometimes I wore pearls.  Sometimes I wore a sweater tied around my neck.  Of course my hair was in a bob.  OK, so I wasn't sort of preppy...I was really preppy.  ;D

Written By: spaceace on 06/15/07 at 8:45 pm

Hair: brown (short cropped)

Main Hangout:  At my friend Yvonne's house watching MTV

Main Source Of Attire: Jamesway

Drink:  A-treat fruit punch

Tube:  The Facts of Life, Family Ties, 60 minutes and The Monkees

Toys:  My Trapper Keeper keeped me occupied.

Check for new replies or respond here...