inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 20 Years Ago Thread

Written By: Pink on 05/23/07 at 11:28 am

Where were you 20 years ago? This thread is for discussing what happened 20 years ago or about that long ago. I want this thread to last until December 31, 2009.

Subject: Re: The 20 Years Ago Thread

Written By: nally on 05/23/07 at 11:29 am

In 1987, during the first half of the year, I was in 1st grade. During the second half of the year I was in 2nd grade.

I had my tonsils out in November of that year.

Written By: LittleMissUsername on 05/23/07 at 1:07 pm

Twenty years ago I was a silly boy crazy teen.  I hung out  and worked at the mall, but shopped at thrift stores.  I spent all my money on records, because I was going to be a dj. I learned how to mix.
I stopped eating meat, but still wore leather.
I snuck into movie theaters, and drank wine coolers(Barttels&James).
  School was not important, my friends were. I loved dancing , going out and dressing up with the gay boys.(somethings never change)
I fell in love and had my heart broken.
I broke a heart.
Spent many days at SixFlags, and adored roller coasters.
Life was good, even if I was poor. 

Written By: KC Time Machine on 05/23/07 at 2:44 pm

1987:  The first part of the year would have been spent finishing my first year in HS and trying to work up the nerve to ask this one girl out (someone I'd go on to have a crush on for most of the next four years!).  It was also the start of some real good friendships, though, too!

I wasn't working yet, so my summer was probably spent playing baseball and listening to ball games on the radio.

Written By: Gis on 05/23/07 at 3:20 pm

Hmm I think I was out of work and spending most of my days lounging around and my nights smoking and drinking and seeing bands.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/23/07 at 6:24 pm

I was born in November of '87

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/23/07 at 7:35 pm

I was just about to graduate from pre-school :0)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/23/07 at 7:50 pm

20 years ago today I was getting ready to graduate from high school on May 31st, 1987.  :o Hard to believe it's been 20 years...

Written By: robby76 on 05/23/07 at 11:30 pm

I was 10 / 11 and started high school in 1987 (I'm not from the US). Highlights include going to my first night-time parties, loving all the pop culture at that time and having loads of fun in school! I was just young enough to still enjoy toys then - GI Joe and the like. I saw Tina Turner and The Miami Sound Machine in concert that year too as my cousin worked for Pepsi. Good times!

Written By: woops on 05/23/07 at 11:37 pm

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Park/7255/34.jpg
Deborah Gibson came "Out of the Blue"  

I was a toddler watching "Muppet Babies"...   ::) :D

Written By: Davester on 05/24/07 at 4:04 am

20 years ago today I was getting ready to graduate from high school on May 31st, 1987.  :o Hard to believe it's been 20 years...

Same here, but June 12th.  Senior year was so kick back...

Yep, twenty years... :o

Written By: san018 on 05/27/07 at 11:15 am

junior year in high school.......

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/27/07 at 12:47 pm

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Park/7255/34.jpg
Deborah Gibson came "Out of the Blue"  

the lowest point of 20 years ago.

Written By: wildcard on 05/27/07 at 12:50 pm

20 years ago I was 4 years old.  We lived in Bellflower and back I had been to Disneyland a couple of times before turning 5 and moving to Modesto.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/27/07 at 3:30 pm

I was 11 and living a good life, I guess.

Written By: nally on 05/27/07 at 9:49 pm

Same here, but June 12th.  Senior year was so kick back...

Yep, twenty years... :o

On June 12th, 1987, I was finishing my second-to-last week of 1st grade. Also, I think one of my classmates had a birthday celebration.

Written By: airsupplyairhead on 05/29/07 at 1:50 pm

I'd just graduated from high school.

Written By: wsmith4 on 06/04/07 at 2:36 pm

how is this thread supposed to last until December 31, 2009 when it doesn't even last a week?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/05/07 at 4:53 pm

People ran out of things to say about that happened 20 years ago today.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/05/07 at 6:29 pm

Ok, here goes.

20 years ago I was about 1 1/2 years into my new job just out of college.  I hated it  :P  and was sure I wouldn't make it three years (as an aside I've been working at this same place 21 years  :o  ::)  - yes, it improved).  I was a party animal and would've had my eye on about half the guys I worked with (just like 6 months before that) but at this point had a steady boyfriend who I considered serious (he's long gone BTW).  I just bought my first place and got a new mortgage, too, had a one year old car, and way too much debt for my comfort  :-\\  I think I was also on the co-ed softball team then - it's hard to remember exactly.

Next!  :)

Written By: esoxslayer on 06/05/07 at 6:49 pm

I'd been out of the Marines for about 1.5 years, had a full time job paying big bucks, had a house, the new truck and well on my way to settling down and relaxing by the bay here.....seems like yesterday....

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/05/07 at 6:52 pm

Ok, here goes.

20 years ago I was about 1 1/2 years into my new job just out of college.  I hated it  :P  and was sure I wouldn't make it three years (as an aside I've been working at this same place 21 years  :o  ::)  - yes, it improved).  I was a party animal and would've had my eye on about half the guys I worked with (just like 6 months before that) but at this point had a steady boyfriend who I considered serious (he's long gone BTW).  I just bought my first place and got a new mortgage, too, had a one year old car, and way too much debt for my comfort   :-\\  I think I was also on the co-ed softball team then - it's hard to remember exactly.

Next!   :)

Very cool summary there! And good memory!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/05/07 at 7:06 pm

Very cool summary there! And good memory!

Thanks!

Written By: Midas on 06/05/07 at 7:45 pm

Turned 15 that year, moved from Glendale to North Phoenix to my stepdad's home, which meant a new high school sophomore year (a plus b/c I hated Freshman year).  Got my first DJ mixer from Radio Shack and discovered some great records that year such as "Strangelove" by Depeche Mode, "True Faith" by New Order and "Certain Things Are Likely" by Kissing The Pink.  I probably had about 50 twelve-inch singles at the time and mixed them like nobody's business.  The end of the year brought me my first mobile gig - a junior high youth group dance at the church I attended.  I spent most my time practicing beatmixing, and listened to a lot of radio -primarily KZZP-FM and Hot Mix, a weekly mixshow on Friday nights on the station.

Wish I could go back sometimes...less crap to worry about. :P

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/06/07 at 7:31 pm

Still in grade school.  ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 06/06/07 at 10:04 pm

I was 16, a Sophomore/Junior in high school and just driving.  That was a great year.

Written By: ILUV80S on 06/07/07 at 9:04 am

I had been out of high school for a year and was just working.  Still living at home, but partying a lot!  :D

Written By: conker on 06/08/07 at 12:22 pm

I had dropped out of school for the second time and was working as an elevator operator in an old office building.
I was a pretty good job that as every 3rd person who walked in said...had it's ups and downs.

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/12/07 at 11:51 pm

20 years ago....third grade had just ended, had many relatives come to visit throughout the summer, wore out my favorite Bon Jovi and U2 cassettes, hung out at the mall with friends, and waited for fourth grade to begin!  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...