inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Classic 80's movies that U have still never seen????

Written By: kellygoo72 on 05/29/07 at 12:59 am

I know this sounds hard to believe but I , Kelly, have never ever seen any of these movies.. i never was into movies as a kid and now, even though people think Im nuts, I kinda like that I have never seen them.. The more people tell me I should, the more I resist.
IS there anyone else out there who has been as clueless as I was and still am in movie watching?

Just Curious ;)

Subject: Re: Classic 80's movies that U have still never seen????

Written By: nally on 05/29/07 at 1:02 am

You're not alone, Kel...there are numerous films from the 1980's that I have still never seen. Too many to list here. :o I wouldn't even know where to start.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/29/07 at 1:03 am

I've seen all of those, though I barely remember ET and Footloose.

Even though it's a 90s movie, I'm proud of the fact I've never seen "Titanic".  :D

Written By: kellygoo72 on 05/29/07 at 1:04 am

good, Im glad Im not alone.. Just like u, their are so many movies I have yet to see... Seems pointless to me now...

Written By: nally on 05/29/07 at 1:05 am

Oh, I didn't realize there was a poll here. Of the ones listed, I have only seen "ET."

Written By: Red Ant on 05/29/07 at 1:10 am

good, Im glad Im not alone.. Just like u, their are so many movies I have yet to see... Seems pointless to me now...

There's a lot I'd like to see, but I rarely have time to do so.

It seemed pointless at the time to watch Titanic... it's more pointless now, lol

I've also never seen LOTR...

The Goonies should probably be on this list as well. And everyone should watch "Top Gun"; it's unintentionally hilarious at times.

Written By: whistledog on 05/29/07 at 1:41 am

I have seen all these movies, but E.T., Flashdance and Top Gun are the only two in the list that I haven't seen in many years

One movie I never saw, but always wanted to was 'Fright Night'.  The soundtrack for it is awesome!

Even though it's a 90s movie, I'm proud of the fact I've never seen "Titanic".  :D

I saw the first 15 minutes of Titanic before I fell asleep.  Since then, whenever I have insomnia, I pop Titanic in the VCR (Yep VCR.  Like I'm gonna buy this boring movie on DVD lol) and within seconds, I'm off to the land of Z's :D

Written By: LittleMissUsername on 05/29/07 at 8:13 am

The only one I have seen all of is Footloose .  Only to mock it. 

When I get really mad, all I wanna do is DANCE!!!!!

*sarcasm*

Written By: Watcher29 on 05/29/07 at 8:41 am

Never seen "The Breakfast Club". Don't remember if I have seen "Pretty in Pink". Wish I had never seen "Dirty Dancing".

Also never seen "Fast Times at Ridgemont High". Can I really call myself an '80s teen?

Written By: KKay on 05/29/07 at 9:44 am

I have never seen Dirty Dancing or E.T.  Everyone hates that I have never seen Red Dawn either.  Or Mannequin.

I thought i was too cool for mainstream back then.

Written By: airsupplyairhead on 05/29/07 at 1:49 pm

I voted for Top Gun

Written By: spaceace on 05/29/07 at 1:50 pm

I haven't seen Heathers or Pretty In Pink.  I feel so deprived. :P

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/29/07 at 4:43 pm

None of the Indiana Jones movies. My husband's shocked, but he'll get over it. I was not interested at all when they were released and I'm still not.

Written By: zcrito on 05/29/07 at 7:20 pm

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

I've been meaning to, just never got around to it.
Same with

Say Anything... (1989)

Written By: kellygoo72 on 05/30/07 at 11:02 pm

I have seen all these movies, but E.T., Flashdance and Top Gun are the only two in the list that I haven't seen in many years

One movie I never saw, but always wanted to was 'Fright Night'.  The soundtrack for it is awesome!

I saw the first 15 minutes of Titanic before I fell asleep.  Since then, whenever I have insomnia, I pop Titanic in the VCR (Yep VCR.  Like I'm gonna buy this boring movie on DVD lol) and within seconds, I'm off to the land of Z's :D

LOL.. I love my VCR too.. I do have a DvD as well.. It was a gift, I would have never pd for one on my own. ;D

Written By: Snoopygirl on 05/31/07 at 5:11 pm

The only movies on the list that I have seen are:

ET
Footloose

Just never had an interest with the others.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 06/01/07 at 1:17 am

I never sawall The Indy Jones films either.. i did see one of them,Not sure which one is was either.. I never saw Close Encounters either but I will say, I would like to see that one someday

Written By: robby76 on 06/02/07 at 5:05 am

Never seen Top Gun and don't intend to either.

One film I've never seen but do want to is Fast Times at Ridgemont High!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/02/07 at 10:28 am

I'm not sure, but I don't think I ever saw Footloose.  At least the whole thing.  The others in the list I have seen (for most, not in a long time).

Nonetheless, I'm one of those who misses a lot of great movies...

None of the Indiana Jones movies. My husband's shocked, but he'll get over it. I was not interested at all when they were released and I'm still not.

Me, either - Indiana Jones or Raiders.  I've seen snippets but not the whole movie for any of them.  :-[

Written By: zcrito on 06/03/07 at 7:24 pm

I never sawall The Indy Jones films either.. i did see one of them,Not sure which one is was either.. I never saw Close Encounters either but I will say, I would like to see that one someday

I never saw Close Encounters either but I will say, I would like to see that one someday.

Got Netflix?
It's a good '70s movie and a good Steven Spielberg movie back when he made movies (films) for adults and not children, like he did so often in the '80s.

If you take the time to see Close Encounters you can name one that you think we (or maybe just me) should see.

Written By: snozberries on 06/03/07 at 8:58 pm

I've seen all of those, though I barely remember ET and Footloose.

I wish I had never seen Titantic... that's 3 hours of my life that I will never get back!  >:(

I've seen all of the movies on the poll but liked Footloose the least.

I haven't seen LOTR either.  Nor do I want too ... too much hype for me.

Sorry Close Encounters bored me but the music was cool - it was however less boring than 2001 Space Odyessy This film makes me want to gouge my eyes out it was so mind numbingly boring. 

I watched all 6 of the Star Wars movies... loved the first 3 (*ehm* I mean last three) when they originally came out but fell asleep when I tried to watch them recently

I have never seen Sound of Music which isn't 80's but a big enough for people to look at me and go HUH?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/05/07 at 12:56 am

I just saw Footloose for the first time last year on cable, and to be honest it was actually better than I thought it would be.

Written By: thereshegoes on 06/05/07 at 10:23 am

I just saw Footloose for the first time last year on cable, and to be honest it was actually better than I thought it would be.

I caught that one on tv the other night,i loved it then and still like it now,LET'S DAAAANCE!!! :D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/05/07 at 7:37 pm

I have never seen E.T. And, being it came out around the time I was born, still makes me wonder why I never had an interest in it. I think he looked pretty creepy to me, so I never had an interest in it.

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/06/07 at 3:04 am

I've never seen E.T. and don't ever plan on seeing it.
Never had any reason to see a film about an ugly lost alien that eats the movies corporate sponsors candy snacks. I refuse to see it and will be buried in the ground not having seen it.

I've seen Top Gun and hate it. Overly macho, and somewhat homo-erotic (read Q. Tarentino's take on it, its funny).
Plus theres the music element, ever notice how whenever you see a movie or TV scene now with airplanes, there is some bad ripoff of "Danger Zone" or a riff of the like playing in the background? A pox to you Kenny Loggins for writing this annoying track.) Berlins track really is cool but the film makes it un-listenable now.
The film hurts my brain just thinking about it...

Footloose is OK, but if I hear "Lets Hear it for the Boy" I retch uncontrollably...

Dirty Dancing should be removed from the history of this planet, without question.

The only movie from this list that I like is "Flashdance" and that has a lot to do with sexy Jennifer Beals.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/06/07 at 3:59 pm

Actually, come to think of it I've never seen Flashdance.

Worth putting on my Netflix queue?

Written By: thereshegoes on 06/06/07 at 4:11 pm

Actually, come to think of it I've never seen Flashdance.

Worth putting on my Netflix queue?

Are you joking? Of course!

Unless you're not into dancers/strippers/welders :D

Written By: ILUV80S on 06/07/07 at 9:19 am

Footloose and Flashdance, seen bits and pieces of Footloose but not all the way through.

Written By: ILUV80S on 06/07/07 at 9:22 am

Never seen "The Breakfast Club". Don't remember if I have seen "Pretty in Pink". Wish I had never seen "Dirty Dancing".

Also never seen "Fast Times at Ridgemont High". Can I really call myself an '80s teen?

Oh you DON'T know what you're missing!  Step away from the computer and head to the video store, pronto!  ;D

Written By: loki 13 on 06/07/07 at 7:07 pm

I haven't seen Heathers or Pretty In Pink.  I feel so deprived. :P

Pretty In Pink is on right now on VH1 Classics, no I'm am not going to watch it, I'm going to see if
I'm smarter than a fifth grader.

Written By: woops on 06/07/07 at 10:10 pm

VH1 Classics air movies...  :o

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/08/07 at 8:05 pm

I have never seen Dirty Dancing or E.T.  Everyone hates that I have never seen Red Dawn either.  Or Mannequin.

I thought i was too cool for mainstream back then.

Ahhhh, good ol Mannequin. Man, I watched that WAY too much!

Written By: KKay on 06/09/07 at 11:25 am

Ahhhh, good ol Mannequin. Man, I watched that WAY too much!

i think the theme song might represent the film well.  so i stayed away, as much as i love mr. mccarthy

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/09/07 at 8:22 pm

I've seen all of those you've listed but I have never seen St Elmo's Fire, An Officer and a Gentleman or any of the Karate Kid movies.

Written By: namilliron on 06/11/07 at 10:23 am

FAST TIMES AT RIDGMONT HIGH here.  And I hope it stays that way.

Written By: karen on 06/11/07 at 10:45 am

I'm not sure that I've watched Footloose.  It certainly didn't stick in my memory if I did.  I loved The Breakfast Club but haven't seen Pretty in Pink, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Sixteen Candles or Heathers. Or possibly some other 'huge' eighties teen films.

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/12/07 at 2:44 am

Believe it or not I haven't seen Top Gun yet.

Written By: MERV SKILTON on 06/12/07 at 9:57 am

I voted TOP GUN cos back then every guy wanted to be Tom Cruise.. today is a diferrent story!  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 06/15/07 at 8:09 am

I voted TOP GUN cos back then every guy wanted to be Tom Cruise.. today is a diferrent story!  ;D

I remember sitting in Burger King after watching Top Gun wishing I was Kelly McGillis just so Tom could suck my neck like that... you should have seen the look I got from the old lady in the next booth when I articulated this thought to my friends... of course I thought she was old then but now I realise that she's probably not far from the age I am now.

I tease the guys I work with... all macho (slightly homophobic) cops because they were talking about how cool they thought Top Gun when they were teens or younger.  I told them that the film was laced with homosexual subtext (as a film studies major they always respected my opinion on film but had problems with this statement).  So I popped the DVD and started pointing out all the areas that proved my point. Needless to say most of them have never watched the movie again... Its so sad that men can easily be deterred from something because of the slightest homosexual reference or comment.

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/15/07 at 2:33 pm

I tease the guys I work with... all macho (slightly homophobic) cops because they were talking about how cool they thought Top Gun when they were teens or younger.  I told them that the film was laced with homosexual subtext (as a film studies major they always respected my opinion on film but had problems with this statement).  So I popped the DVD and started pointing out all the areas that proved my point. Needless to say most of them have never watched the movie again... Its so sad that men can easily be deterred from something because of the slightest homosexual reference or comment.

Totally understand, whenever I bring up the homosexual bend to this film, the strident macho guys get REAL upset. Its like saying John Wayne wore pink panties in his cowboy films, the more you say it the madder they get. I've actually had to dodge a few fist fights over this...

Written By: kellygoo72 on 06/20/07 at 10:08 pm

I'm not sure that I've watched Footloose.  It certainly didn't stick in my memory if I did.  I loved The Breakfast Club but haven't seen Pretty in Pink, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Sixteen Candles or Heathers. Or possibly some other 'huge' eighties teen films.

I loved footloose and the B Club... I can watch them over and over

Check for new replies or respond here...