inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Were The Go-Gos responsible for the domination of female rock stars?

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/20/07 at 7:57 pm

I was just watching their Behind the Music episode on tape. There was a mention on there from a couple journalists and music critics about how they were the first popular band that was completely female-dominated (i.e. producing, songwriting and playing their own instruments). This was when they did a major tour as "Our Lips Are Sealed" and "We Got the Beat" were hits in early 1982. This is also just about when the MTV era started overtaking the in limbo '70ish music and culture that had still been dominating up till that point.

I always thought the shift of female-dominated pop and rock started with Pat Benatar and completely mainstreamized when Madonna got big around when 1983 was becoming 1984. But The Go Gos probably really helped make that possible - they were a full band, which probably set them apart.

Subject: Re: Were The Go-Gos responsible for the domination of female rock stars?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/20/07 at 8:08 pm

Nah, I'd give that title to the Runaways

Subject: Re: Were The Go-Gos responsible for the domination of female rock stars?

Written By: whistledog on 06/20/07 at 8:10 pm

I was just gonna say that lol

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/20/07 at 8:13 pm

I was just gonna say that lol

Great minds think alike.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/20/07 at 8:24 pm

That's a good point, forgot about them actually. They weren't really that mainstream, although I guess The Go Gos are like a very refined, smooth commercial form of punk rock.

In some ways "modern" music started in 1976 if you're merely talking about genres.

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/20/07 at 8:36 pm

That's what I also thought! But I love both groups!  :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/21/07 at 12:16 pm

That's a good point, forgot about them actually. They weren't really that mainstream, although I guess The Go Gos are like a very refined, smooth commercial form of punk rock.

In some ways "modern" music started in 1976 if you're merely talking about genres.

Remember Mainstream doesn't mean influential. Many music influences were non-mainstream (which I am thankful of). Besides, while I like the Go-Gos, I never saw them as a punk band. If they truly were, they sold out big time. They were definitely a pop band and helped led the way for The Bangles, etc.

Written By: Doc Brown on 06/21/07 at 11:11 pm

The Go-Go's? Get real! They were at least 5 years too late to take credit for Women's Rock Lib. Anyone who can remember the late 70's would know it was HEART who kicked that door down!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Red Ant on 06/22/07 at 1:08 am

The Go-Go's? Get real! They were at least 5 years too late to take credit for Women's Rock Lib. Anyone who can remember the late 70's would know it was HEART who kicked that door down!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Thank you! I was about to say Heart paved the way for female rockers.

Did anyone see the VH1 show with Gretchen Wilson doing "Barracuda" with Alice in Chains and Heart? That was seriously awesome, as were most of the performers in the show. Even after being around for over 30 years, Heart still sets the standard for female rock.

Written By: Gis on 06/22/07 at 3:44 am

Interestingly the GoGo's and The Runaways didn't really feature in the U.K music scene at all. I can't think of an all female band off the top of my head who did.  :-\\ There were popular front women like Debbie Harry but not really a huge all female band.

Written By: whistledog on 06/22/07 at 3:53 am

Interestingly the GoGo's and The Runaways didn't really feature in the U.K music scene at all. I can't think of an all female band off the top of my head who did.  :-\\ There were popular front women like Debbie Harry but not really a huge all female band.

How about The Nolans?

Written By: karen on 06/22/07 at 5:35 am

How about The Nolans?

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/barf.gif

I think there was an all-girl "punk" band but can't think of the name.  One of my brothers listened to them (however it might have been The Go-Gos  :-\\ )

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/07 at 5:55 am

How about The Nolans?
Nothing wrong with the Nolans!

Where are they now?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/22/07 at 6:14 pm

I thought about the Indigo Girls, but I've never been a big fan of their stuff, so I am not sure of when they made it big, but they seem to have a cult following of some sort.

Definetly Heart plays a large role in women's rock, as does Pat Benatar and even Linda Ronstadt - even though she wasn't in an all girl band, she was one of few women in the late '60s - early '70s who was a bit rock and roll and a lead singer, and also Grace Slick.

The Go-Go's were influential, but not hugely influential, and unfortunately, we still have hardly any totally girl bands out there today.

Written By: Doc Brown on 06/23/07 at 12:06 am

Thank you! I was about to say Heart paved the way for female rockers.

Did anyone see the VH1 show with Gretchen Wilson doing "Barracuda" with Alice in Chains and Heart? That was seriously awesome, as were most of the performers in the show. Even after being around for over 30 years, Heart still sets the standard for female rock.

I did Red, I did see Gretch belting it out, in fact I taped the whole Rock Honors show. I didn't think anything could have been cooler than Nancy stepping out there with her guitar to jam along! Definitely not an AIC fan, any good hard-rock band could handle the backup, but Gretchen's rendition of the song was spectacular. Haven't seen Heart's performance yet, so don't spoil it for me!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/24/07 at 1:09 pm

I think there was an all-girl "punk" band but can't think of the name.  One of my brothers listened to them (however it might have been The Go-Gos  :-\\ )

I'm gonna bet it was Fuzzbox, as in "We've got a fuzzbox and we're gonna use it="?

The Fuzzbox was a device used to add distortion to guitars, and the band used both the obvious double-entendre and the audio device pretty heavily.  Imagine a slightly more raw version of the Go-Go's, and you've got Fuzzbox.  Good stuff.

Written By: freeridemt on 06/24/07 at 1:18 pm

No Heart did not pave the way. U have to give that credit to Grace and JJ, they sort of set a standard. If JJ started out today she would most likely be non main stream due to the fact not eye candy or good enough by todays standards.  For modern music starting in  70's(My favorite era) again that all started to change in the Brit invasion of the early 60's by bringing a old sound to the fore front it ended that late 50's and early 60's style. My mom says that was a blessing she could only handle so much of The Soldier Boy style.(G)
U have no idea how much it all played out there was no trust between the Philly,New York, San Fran and La music scene, the  Monterey pop Festival started to change all that with many of them meeting for the first time. There where some fights but by the time Woodstock came most of them got along not all thou. Some bad blood between a few of them lingered.

In the non main stream you had groups like the Velvet Underground Etc. Which later paved the way for the likes of the New York Dolls, Iggy Pop and  others. They say punk started in the UK but the real birth was in the late 60's I think 68 or 69 when in the New York underground it had already started.  Also Detroit was credited with some early punk.  When the late 60's arrived music was so wide open.  You could hear Snoopy and the Red Baron one minute then listen to Eric Burden the next on the same station. Fm radio got it's big start then. Fm started out in most college towns, which u could hear whole albums. Tis what got me into Zep and others in that time frame. Also where I first heard Iggy Pop, Talking Heads as early as 75 76.  So for the middle 70's being the real birth, no I think not.

To be totally honest the real birth belongs to the old addage that Rhythm and Blues had a baby and it was called Rock&Roll... Ask Mr BB King, Bo Diddley or even Chuck Berry.

Written By: karen on 06/25/07 at 7:28 am

I'm gonna bet it was Fuzzbox, as in "We've got a fuzzbox and we're gonna use it="?

The Fuzzbox was a device used to add distortion to guitars, and the band used both the obvious double-entendre and the audio device pretty heavily.  Imagine a slightly more raw version of the Go-Go's, and you've got Fuzzbox.  Good stuff.

Reading this thread again just now and the name of the group I was trying to recall was The Slits.  Now that I think back I don't think they were that big a band in the UK either, just a group my brother liked

Check for new replies or respond here...