inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Foolish Beat" by Deborah Gibson, the youngest artist to write/produce a #1 hit

Written By: woops on 06/23/07 at 7:12 pm

Here's the music video to "Foolish Beat" from Deborah Gibson.

BTW, I don't mind negative comments. And also, no bashing the artist.

In 1988, Deborah Gibson became the youngest female artist to write, produce, and perform a #1 hit with "Foolish Beat" at age 17, which still holds to this day. Especially with Disney Channel products and party girls that lack or have little talent.  ::)

The song may be corny by today's standards, but I don't care...

I know next year marks the 20th anniversary of the song, but felt like posting a poll (besides being bored) since the record hasn't yet been broken and probably won't for the next hundred years.
http://www.deb.org/ftp/pictures/books/btlbk61b.gif

Subject: Re: "Foolish Beat" by Deborah Gibson, the youngest artist to write/produce a #1 hit

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/23/07 at 8:42 pm

Brings me back to the summer of 1988-spent much of it in California and heard this song quite a lot on the radio. I was never crazy about this song, but I don't think it's a terrible song either. Back then it was a little too melodramatic for my tastes.

Subject: Re: "Foolish Beat" by Deborah Gibson, the youngest artist to write/produce a #1 hit

Written By: whistledog on 06/23/07 at 8:48 pm

This song was #1 in Canada as well.  I always liked it, but to be honest, I always thought it sounded like the kind of song that would be a big hit, but not at #1

Subject: Re: "Foolish Beat" by Deborah Gibson, the youngest artist to write/produce a #1

Written By: robby76 on 06/24/07 at 11:04 am

I'm afraid it's sweaty gym socks for me...  ;D

It's just too depressing and slow - even for '88. It's not un-listenable, but you'd be tempted to skip (or fast forward) after a minute. The chorus is the only good bit.

Now if you're talking Lost In Your Eyes - then there's a winner!

Written By: fusefan on 06/24/07 at 11:21 pm

Meh. It's ok.  But i will credit her for getting off her keister and acutally writing and singing a song instead of having her producers or whatever write it for her and lip syncing and just being there to sell an image like you see alot (not all) young female singers do now.

Written By: Gis on 06/25/07 at 7:59 am

Never heard of it sorry, did it chart in the U.K?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/25/07 at 11:50 am

I liked it.

Written By: whistledog on 06/25/07 at 1:26 pm

Never heard of it sorry, did it chart in the U.K?

I can field this one .. #9 in the UK, 1988

Subject: Re: "Foolish Beat" by Deborah Gibson, the youngest artist to write/produce a #1

Written By: theDeb on 06/25/07 at 6:30 pm

the Deb herself stated at the time that this song was really depressing

deb.org

Check for new replies or respond here...