inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: baby names in the 1980s vs. now

Written By: Wordman on 06/26/07 at 2:12 pm

Don't 80s baby names seem more "modern" in a way than any other names? Girls born in the 80s and early 90s have names like Courtney, Brittany, Ashley, Stephanie, Katie, that are different than babies born now.

The baby names popular in the 80s are the names of young women NOW!

Subject: Re: baby names in the 1980s vs. now

Written By: LittleMissUsername on 06/26/07 at 2:55 pm

:-\\  wha???

I would say that babies of the eighties got real names more often then babies born in the 2000s.
Now it's a free for all of random words and scrabble tiles.  Look at poor little 4Real, Moxie Crimefighter , Apple, Rummer. 

Give me a Jenny over a  girl named Hunter any day. Just my 2cents.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/26/07 at 2:56 pm

Baby names in the '80s are actually not all that different from names in the mid-late '70s. Todays names are really a big mix of stuff. No one in the '80s was named Madison, that's for sure. I never knew any Madisons throughout elementary school or junior high. Madison is the #1 name now, and to me, that seems more modern than the names from the '80s.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/26/07 at 2:57 pm

I would say that babies of the eighties got real names more often then babies born in the 2000s.
Now it's a free for all of random words and scrabble tiles.  Look at poor little 4Real, Moxie Crimefighter , Apple, Rummer. 

You're right on! I am tired of these makeshift names. They're so pretentious!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/26/07 at 3:03 pm

Dweezel & Moon Unit anyone?  ::)

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/07 at 3:04 pm

...or,

Fifi Trixibelle
Peaches Honeyblossom
Pixie

Written By: LittleMissUsername on 06/26/07 at 3:07 pm

I found this at the Social Security  web sight.

Popular names of 1986

1 Michael Jessica
2 Christopher Ashley
3 Matthew Amanda
4 Joshua Jennifer
5 David Sarah
6 Daniel Stephanie
7 James Nicole
8 Andrew Brittany
9 Robert Heather
10 John Elizabeth

popular names of 2006

Male name Female name
1 Jacob Emily
2 Michael Emma
3 Joshua Madison
4 Ethan Isabella
5 Matthew Ava
6 Daniel Abigail
7 Christopher Olivia
8 Andrew Hannah
9 Anthony Sophia
10 William Samantha

I guess we only hear about the wak-a-doodles ...

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/26/07 at 3:12 pm

I found this at the Social Security  web sight.

Popular names of 1986

1 Michael Jessica
2 Christopher Ashley
3 Matthew Amanda
4 Joshua Jennifer
5 David Sarah
6 Daniel Stephanie
7 James Nicole
8 Andrew Brittany
9 Robert Heather
10 John Elizabeth

popular names of 2006

Male name Female name
1 Jacob Emily
2 Michael Emma
3 Joshua Madison
4 Ethan Isabella
5 Matthew Ava
6 Daniel Abigail
7 Christopher Olivia
8 Andrew Hannah
9 Anthony Sophia
10 William Samantha

I guess we only hear about the wak-a-doodles ...

Yeah, these are not too bad.

The year I was born, these were the most popular -

Most Popular of 1982

1 Michael Jennifer
2 Christopher Jessica
3 Matthew Amanda
4 Jason Sarah
5 David Melissa
6 James Nicole
7 Joshua Stephanie
8 John Elizabeth
9 Robert Crystal
10 Daniel Amy
11 Joseph Michelle
12 Justin Heather
13 Ryan Tiffany
14 Brian Kimberly
15 William Rebecca
16 Jonathan Angela
17 Andrew Ashley
18 Brandon Amber
19 Adam Christina
20 Eric Erin

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/26/07 at 3:17 pm

Dweezel & Moon Unit anyone?  ::)

Cat

Zappa might've been ahead of his time in that regard. ;D

I first started hearing the weird/less traditional names popping up c. 1994. I think of Generation X names lasting about that long - the common '80s teen names (i.e. Jennifer, Mike, Corey) still have some relevance, although they're not as common for kids now. Also, as a rule, guys' names are usually longer-lasting and less resistant to trends.

Written By: spaceace on 06/26/07 at 3:19 pm

My little cousin's name is Paxton Price . . . cutest little girl you'd ever want to meet. :)  Still wondering how she got the name though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/07 at 3:35 pm

My little cousin's name is Paxton Price . . . cutest little girl you'd ever want to meet. :)  Still wondering how she got the name though.
From the folk singer Tom Paxton?

Written By: spaceace on 06/26/07 at 3:38 pm

From the folk singer Tom Paxton?

No, don't think so.  Her Mom's not into folk music.  Price was my Uncle's middle name, he died in Vietnam.  I suppose it could be A LOT worse.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/07 at 3:41 pm

No, don't think so.  Her Mom's not into folk music.  Price was my Uncle's middle name, he died in Vietnam.  I suppose it could be A LOT worse.
Sometimes the middle name can be the mother's maiden name.

Written By: LittleMissUsername on 06/26/07 at 4:44 pm

This is a useful sight.    http://www.behindthename.com/  Maybe it's off topic, but it's interresting nonetheless. 

Paxton sounds like a surname to me.

Written By: airsupplyairhead on 06/27/07 at 2:23 pm

I like a lot of the '80s baby names. :)

Written By: Lindee on 06/28/07 at 1:34 pm

[Give me a Jenny over a  girl named Hunter any day. Just my 2cents.

I agree. Some of these names that 20 & 30 something parents are giving their kids are terrible. Alot of them sound too formal and more like a last name than a first name.

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/28/07 at 3:14 pm

How about Denim Cole & Diezel Ky (Toni Braxton's kids), Kal-El (Nicolas Cage's son) and the best one is Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily.

I have a son named Hunter William, is that bad? :( 
My daughter is Megan Elizabeth. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/28/07 at 8:28 pm

How about Denim Cole & Diezel Ky (Toni Braxton's kids), Kal-El (Nicolas Cage's son) and the best one is Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily.

Hunter is a great name for a boy.  I think the other poster was talking about a girl named Hunter!
Megan is also a great name.  There are several ways to spell it. 
The gal on FOX News spellist "Megyn."

I figure her father was a Medical Examiner and her mother was a Gynecologist!
:D

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/28/07 at 11:32 pm

When I was growing up, I've met plenty of babies named Brittany (there were 3 of them in my old neighborhood), Tiffany (or Tiffanie in one case), Courtney, Kristen, Heather, Sarah, Christina, Michael, David, Joshua, Alexander, and a few others I'm forgetting.

Written By: Blair on 06/29/07 at 8:13 pm

I see a lot of little Hannahs running around which is odd because that name seems a little "old lady" to me. The same with Emma and Oliva. I know one poor kid who is named Ira and another poor baby who is named Princess Diana.

What gets on my nerves even more is the weird spellings of more mainstream names. Like, for instance, Kortni for Courtney. For some reason the the odd spelling makes me think the parents didn't know how to spell Courtney.

Of course, among all the the Tiffanys, Allisons, Jennifers, Robins and Amys I went to school with, "Blair" did sort of stick out.

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/01/07 at 6:42 pm

I see a lot of little Hannahs running around which is odd because that name seems a little "old lady" to me. The same with Emma and Oliva. I know one poor kid who is named Ira and another poor baby who is named Princess Diana.

What gets on my nerves even more is the weird spellings of more mainstream names. Like, for instance, Kortni for Courtney. For some reason the the odd spelling makes me think the parents didn't know how to spell Courtney.

Of course, among all the the Tiffanys, Allisons, Jennifers, Robins and Amys I went to school with, "Blair" did sort of stick out.

Another popular name for a girl today is Sophie or Sophia, my grandmother's name was Sophie so I associate it elderly women.  ;D

My mother actually knew a woman who named her child Rainbow...this was back in the 70's. 

Years ago when I worked at a bank there was a customer whose name was Princess Ann, another girl named Velvet and a few men with the first name Junior, not just Jr. at the end but actually named Junior. 

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/01/07 at 6:58 pm

The most common names for babies born around 1989 were, from personal experience:

Boys-Evan, Nicholas, Jeffrey, Brendan, Michael, James, Zachary, Andrew, Daniel, Patrick, Joseph, William, Eric, Matthew, Alexander, Seth, Samuel, Max, David, Benjamin, Christopher, Jacob, John. Lots of typical "biblical names" and reclaimed traditionals like Andrew.
Girls-Julia, Jessica, Catherine, Caitlin, Stephanie (probably the ultimate '80s baby name), Laura, Lauren, Melissa, Erica, Emily, Andrea, Alexandra/Alexa, Amanda, Natalie, Brittany, Tiffany, Erin, Megan, Shannon, Dana, Anna, Christa/Christine.

Written By: LittleMissUsername on 07/01/07 at 8:38 pm

Hunter William is nice for a boy, but I would cry for a girl....

Written By: Blair on 07/02/07 at 12:38 am

Years ago when I worked at a bank there was a customer whose name was Princess Ann, another girl named Velvet and a few men with the first name Junior, not just Jr. at the end but actually named Junior. 

Okay. True story. This lady heard a word in the hospital when she was having her baby that she thought was just beautiful. So, she ended up naming her little girl Placenta Marie!

Oh, the humanity.

Written By: Lindee on 07/02/07 at 10:01 am

About 3 years ago I was in a McDonalds and one of the cashiers' name tag said Kyrie. I was tempted to ask if her Mom was a  Mr. Mister fan.

Written By: Green Lantern on 07/02/07 at 10:18 am

About 3 years ago I was in a McDonalds and one of the cashiers' name tag said Kyrie. I was tempted to ask if her Mom was a  Mr. Mister fan.

Hi Lindee....

You probably won't get this ... why should you (looks like you've just joined)  ... but for some reason, I'm a bit of a fan of them. Some people even think I must be the lead singer from that band  :D ... well, what can I say?  Now you've reminded of the band's name I just couldn't recall earlier ... ;) :D ....  they had a far better song than kyrie, (in my opinion) ...  something about our feathered friends limping through life.

Anyhow, if Kyrie's Mom's a fan, she's alright by me! (aah, please give me room, please keep back everyone ...  :D ;D ).

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/02/07 at 12:13 pm

A few years ago at my old place of employment, we were getting a new computer system in, and the girl who was training us...her real, birth-given name was: Pepsi. :o  Could you imagine that?

Written By: danootaandme on 07/02/07 at 12:38 pm

[quote author=Blair link=topic=27297.msg1328014#msg1328014 date=1183166018}

I see a lot of little Hannahs running around which is odd because that name seems a little "old lady" to me. The same with Emma and Oliva.

Yes, but if things go well, they will be grown women a lot longer than they will be little girls.  Cutesy, little girl names should be reconsidered, as well as the cutesy little girl voices that go with them(what's that all about?)

Written By: LittleMissUsername on 07/02/07 at 5:42 pm

[quote author=Blair link=topic=27297.msg1328014#msg1328014 date=1183166018}

I see a lot of little Hannahs running around which is odd because that name seems a little "old lady" to me. The same with Emma and Oliva.

Yes, but if things go well, they will be grown women a lot longer than they will be little girls.  Cutesy, little girl names should be reconsidered, as well as the cutesy little girl voices that go with them(what's that all about?)

I agree 100%! 

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/02/07 at 7:11 pm

It's funny, you don't see very many boys named Dick running around these days.

Why is that?  ???

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/03/07 at 12:41 am

Okay. True story. This lady heard a word in the hospital when she was having her baby that she thought was just beautiful. So, she ended up naming her little girl Placenta Marie!

Oh, the humanity.

I feel so sorry for that girl for having such a name like that.  :(

Written By: Green Lantern on 07/03/07 at 1:02 am

Insert Quote
Quote from: Blair on July 02, 2007, 12:38:42 AM

Then:

Oh, the humanity.

I feel so sorry for that girl for having such a name like that.  :(

Well, I heard that ^ story too. Seems the mother was was living up to her full name ...

Brenda Isabell Tanya Carol Hargreaves

When she writes her name as just initials, it makes sense!

Written By: Green Lantern on 07/03/07 at 1:44 am

By the way, this 'true' story .... about 'Placenta Marie' (well, I have my doubts ... but you never know ...)

Quote from: Blair on July 02, 2007, 12:38:42 AM

.. it reminds me of this old joke:

This seven year old  'cute as buttons' little girl, who's walking her dog ...  sits down on a park bench next to a vicar to rest for a moment. The vicar thinks she's so sweet, he decides to strike up a conversation. "Young lady ..." "would you mind if I inquire after your name?"

"Rosemary" she replies.

"Oh, that's a lovely name" says the vicar. "Can you tell me why you were given that name?"

"Well" ...  she replies ... "when I was in my Mummy's tummy, she was thinking to name me Mary after the virgin Mary. Then suddenly,  a rose petal blew on to Mummy's tummy, and she thought 'Oh, I know!' .... "I'll call her ROSEmary ."

"Oh ..... that's a lovely, wonderful, wonderful story" says the vicar ....

".... and may I ask the name of your little dog?"

"Oh, his name is 'Piggy' "

"Piggy??"  ??? replies the vicar ..... "why in heaven's name is that?"

"Oh," she replies ....

"he f***s pigs!"

Check for new replies or respond here...