inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Steve Winwood definitive of the late '80s?

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/06/07 at 10:05 pm

He was massively popular in 1986-1989/'90, and probably defines the soft rock-esque pop from that era better than many other artists. In a weird way, I almost see it as polished, extremely commercial new wave (most of his songs had a keyboard or synth solo). It was also kinda influential on alot of adult contemporary of the early-mid '90s. That stuff doesn't change as much as, say dance or rock does.

Subject: Re: Is Steve Winwood definitive of the late '80s?

Written By: whistledog on 07/06/07 at 10:42 pm

To me, Steve's best period was in the early 80s, via his albums "Arc of a Diver"; 1981 and "Talking Back to the Night"; 1982.  It was a perfect example of a singer from the 60s and 70s who came into the 80s and said "I'm gonna take the charts by storm the best way I know how".  In the early 80s, he perfected the new wave sound, and changed with the style to take on pop music in the mid to late 80s.  Sadly, his early 80s work was not as well-recieved in the US as it should have been

Arc of A Diver; 1981
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ZMGT7VE1L._AA240_.jpg

Singles:
1981 - While You See A Chance
1981 - Arc of A Diver

Talking Back to the Night; 1982
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/413CHNJR1ZL._AA240_.jpg

Singles:
1982 - Still in the Game
1982 - Valerie 

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/06/07 at 10:52 pm

Yeah, I forgot about that little window of time. "While You See a Chance" was pretty popular, but he seemed to fade away again until Back in the High Life came out. One reason he probably did so well the second time was that polished pop was at its peak. His music was kind of an odd cross of R&B, synthpop and AC.

Until recently, I actually had no idea "Valerie" wasn't from 1987, but that version was just a reworked, polished version of a song from the early '80s. I honestly didn't like the unpolished version as much, but it was interesting to hear where its roots came from.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/10/07 at 10:07 pm

No.

Check for new replies or respond here...