inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: biggest differences between the 80s and now

Written By: jenlovesthe80s on 07/14/07 at 1:59 am

iwhen i was growing up,

*the only way to get in contact with someone was to pick up a home phone and call her home phone. 

*payphones were actually used.

* computers looked like televisions and had hugeass floppy disks.  you could play solitare.  thats about it.  the internet non-existent. 

* computer class at school was a new concept and the oregon trail was it.

*research and information came from books.  and you made a bibliography.  (recently i was politely informed that bibliographies are now a thing of the past.  its works cited now i guess?)

* security was not half as much an issue.  my grammar school was never locked, and nothing was really monitored.  anyone could wander in and out.  nowadays it seems like you need a freakin birth certificate and social security card along with your signature on fifty documents to pick your kid up from school.

thoughts?

Subject: Re: biggest differences between the 80s and now

Written By: whistledog on 07/14/07 at 2:09 am

*the only way to get in contact with someone was to pick up a home phone and call her home phone. 

- You could also go outside and yell at the top of your lungs to the person you wanted to talk to.  'Course that only worked for people who lived close by lol

*payphones were actually used.

Payphones are still used, but they cost 50c now.  I'd like to reach out and strangle the phone companies for raising it from a quarter

* computers looked like televisions and had hugeass floppy disks.  you could play solitare.  thats about it.  the internet non-existent. 

The Internet dates as far back as the 60s.  The Internet was definately around in the 80s

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/14/07 at 2:36 am

*research and information came from books.  and you made a bibliography.  (recently i was politely informed that bibliographies are now a thing of the past.  its works cited now i guess?)

You can still do research from books today in places called libraries, or from your own books on the shelves.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/14/07 at 2:49 am

Biggest difference for me is that I'm 20 years older then I was back then!  :\'( :\'( :\'(

I had more face-to-face friends back then, now most of my friends I talk to on the internet.
I couldn't keep a relationship going for longer then a couple months back then, NOW I'm going on 4 1/2 years.  Woot!
Back then, I, like, said, "like" like alot, like ya know?  Like gag me with like....a spoon.  Fer sure really.
Now, I speak properly (except for saying "cool" and "woot").  lol  Still can't spell though.  :-[

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/14/07 at 4:00 am

I think the omnipresence of cellphones and the Internet are the only major difference with the '80s. Even things like different pop culture are very minimal in comparison. Although we basically live the same lifestyle we did then, just with more advanced tech.

In a limited extent, I don't think "the '80s world" really became detached until c. 1997 when the Internet became almost household, and it wasn't old-school until about 2002 or '03 when the nostalgia for it started picking up. Prior to this, people still used cassettes, VCRs and video arcades, and even a typical mall or shopping center was like an advanced form of how it would've looked in the actual '80s.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/14/07 at 8:32 am

I think the omnipresence of cellphones and the Internet are the only major difference with the '80s. Even things like different pop culture are very minimal in comparison. Although we basically live the same lifestyle we did then, just with more advanced tech.

Cellphones and Internet: ONLY major difference - disagree; BIGGEST major difference - I agree wholeheartedly.  I see these two changes as a real paradigm shift for our day-to-day living.  Another big difference is the security stuff we deal with (not that nobody was security conscious in the 80's because we were, there was just a difference of scale - our biggest security worries were gangs and thieves and serial killers.)  One more difference is the diversity of forms of entertainment today.  In the 80's there were less TV channels, a LOT less video games, no video Ipods or car DVD players or anything like that, just a few cable TV channels, videotapes, LPs/cassettes (later CDs), and portable walkmans or boomboxes.

Given those differences, I seem to recall we spent more time back then talking - face to face  :o

Written By: vicemancometh on 07/14/07 at 9:23 am

Cellphones and computers. Everythiny else like music and fashion and hair is starting to look like the eighties again. Theremake of Hairspray is interseting. A 2000's remake of a 1980's movie set in the 1960's, still set in the 1960's but still looks like a 1980's movie, but is a musical and probably better than the original. How'd they do that?? 8) 8)

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/14/07 at 6:29 pm

Cellphones and Internet: ONLY major difference - disagree; BIGGEST major difference - I agree wholeheartedly.  I see these two changes as a real paradigm shift for our day-to-day living.  Another big difference is the security stuff we deal with (not that nobody was security conscious in the 80's because we were, there was just a difference of scale - our biggest security worries were gangs and thieves and serial killers.)  One more difference is the diversity of forms of entertainment today.  In the 80's there were less TV channels, a LOT less video games, no video Ipods or car DVD players or anything like that, just a few cable TV channels, videotapes, LPs/cassettes (later CDs), and portable walkmans or boomboxes.

Given those differences, I seem to recall we spent more time back then talking - face to face  :o

Yeah, the '80s were pretty high tech for their time, but as a whole, it didn't dominate the way it does now. I'm sure there were people who were resistant to the idea of VCRs, video games you could play at home, or Walkmen. Terrorism wasn't the daily headlines like it is now.

But in a general context, the world was the same in the 1980s in terms of the way people acted or most of the things we did. For being as old as it is, it doesn't seem like it. It's probably no more than 10% different, and those differences are things like pop culture, technology and certain mindsets.

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/14/07 at 10:18 pm

When I was growing up in the 80's, me and my friends spent plenty of time outdoors. We played at the park, in each other's backyards, or the vacant lot at the end of the street in my old neighborhood. These days, I drive by parks and they're practically empty.

Written By: whistledog on 07/14/07 at 10:23 pm

When I was growing up in the 80's, me and my friends spent plenty of time outdoors. We played at the park, in each other's backyards, or the vacant lot at the end of the street in my old neighborhood. These days, I drive by parks and they're practically empty.

Kids today are inside with their Hi DEF TVs and their Playstations and Wii's, and iPods.  They have it so easy
When I was growing up in the 80s, the top technology was like a VCR, a NES, and a cellular phone the size of a brick lol

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/15/07 at 11:27 am

Instead of DVDs, there were laser discs.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/15/07 at 12:09 pm

Instead of DVDs, there were laser discs.
Which I can remember being expensive.

Written By: Jen on 07/15/07 at 1:43 pm

The Internet dates as far back as the 60s.  The Internet was definately around in the 80s

i know, but it definitely wasn't a part of everyday life.  kids didnt know about it.  your average, everyday family didnt have it in the home, shop on it, communicate with it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/15/07 at 1:46 pm

-VCRs
-Walkmans
-Cable TV
-Movie channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.)
-MTV (that was when the "M" meant "music". I have no idea what the "M" means today.  :-\\ )
-Word processors
-NES
-Boom boxes
-Night time soaps

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/15/07 at 1:53 pm

-VCRs
-Walkmans
-Cable TV
-MTV (that was when the "M" meant "music". I have no idea what the "M" means today.  :-\\ )
-Word processors
-NES
-Boom boxes
-Night time soaps

Cat
We probably slept longer in the 80s?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/15/07 at 7:59 pm

Which I can remember being expensive.

And I remember being freaking two sided.  You figure something that big, would hold all of it's stuff on side one.  ;D

I also remember borrowing them from the library.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/15/07 at 8:05 pm

There were a handful channels, we got on our TV. If you wanted to watch stuff, on other channels, you either had to go cable or satellite.

I have a really good story about the last one.  The owners of the house, we were about to move into, offer both a satellite dish (the monster ones, not the digital one), and a dog.

However mom thought that me and my brother, would watching to tv, if we had the satellit.

We went with the dog instead.

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/15/07 at 10:24 pm

-VCRs
-Walkmans
-Cable TV
-Word processors
-NES
-Boom boxes
-Night time soaps

Cat

I like to think of Walkmans as the iPods of the 80's.  :D Especially with some good mix tapes!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/15/07 at 11:10 pm

I like to think of Walkmans as the iPods of the 80's.  :D Especially with some good mix tapes!

Indeed, Walkmans did seem pretty amazing at the time.  Plus good mix tapes weren't that hard to do.  :)

A big difference is that you can't put your entire collection (or a big chunk of it) on a tape.  Not to mention, there was no video.  And the bulk - small as they were in comparison, a shirt pocket usually didn't cut it...  ::)

Written By: Green Lantern on 07/16/07 at 7:25 am

Well, in my case it's probably just a case of getting old and crusty / dropping out from the scene that I have the perception that the music of the 80's was FAR superior to what's been around for the last 17 years or so. I don't bother listening to the current music these days.

Cassette tapes still ruled the day. I still have a couple from the mid 70's that sound nearly as good today ... but have had so many get mangled in machines over the years, I've finally copied most of them over into mp3 format too .... so that's a definite improvement cheap relatively permanent high quality storage, where the music doesn't degrade.

Computers are cheap, and very powerful compared to back then. At the time, I was going to university. Used to spend ages and ages putting reports together. Had to write it all out in draft, cross stuff out, move it around, ... then write it all out all over again and still often end up using liquid paper. Could only type with one finger from each hand in those days. With the internet and todays computers, doing all that work would have taken a fraction of the time .. be a relative breeze ... and to do the research too.

The 80's seemed to be ending on a high ... what with the Berlin Wall coming down, and the apartheid system being dismantled, then the Soviet Union a few years later ... cause for some optimism ... but now, I don't feel as safe catching a plane as back then ...  :(

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/16/07 at 7:48 am

Cassettes were quite popular in the '90s too, and even lasted as a secondary format until about 2002 or '03. People still taped off the radio or went around with a Walkman sometimes. But yes, they were probably the most popular in the '80s in terms of being the most common format.

Written By: Timm on 07/16/07 at 9:59 am

1. We listened to albums. Since fast forwarding a tape was not efficient or easy, we would listen to the entire album, now a days I find myself buying a CD listing to about 15 seconds of the songs and hitting next until I get to the song I bought the CD for.

2. Payphones were on every corner, they can be difficult to find in some places now.

3. Alot more TV channels to choose from.

4. MTV played videos 24/7

5. Cool cars had big fat back tires and loud exhausts, now they have dropped pickups with the rear bumper practically dragging on the ground, and muffler tips that sound like everyone is driving a grass edger.

When did I know it all changed? When the news did a story on a local church that was broken into and vandalized.

There's just not much respect from the younger generation these days.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/07 at 10:46 am

1. We listened to albums. Since fast forwarding a tape was not efficient or easy, we would listen to the entire album, now a days I find myself buying a CD listing to about 15 seconds of the songs and hitting next until I get to the song I bought the CD for.

2. Payphones were on every corner, they can be difficult to find in some places now.

3. Alot more TV channels to choose from.

4. MTV played videos 24/7

5. Cool cars had big fat back tires and loud exhausts, now they have dropped pickups with the rear bumper practically dragging on the ground, and muffler tips that sound like everyone is driving a grass edger.

When did I know it all changed? When the news did a story on a local church that was broken into and vandalized.

There's just not much respect from the younger generation these days.
The MTV I have on my television does not play pop videos anymore.

Written By: Timm on 07/16/07 at 11:28 am

The MTV I have on my television does not play pop videos anymore.

It did through most of the 80's Then they started doing shows like Remote Control and Real world, and I think they forgot what the "M" stood for.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/16/07 at 1:50 pm

I agree, M in the MTV, doesn't stand for anything anymore.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/07 at 1:53 pm

I agree, M in the MTV, doesn't stand for anything anymore.
Monotenous TV?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/16/07 at 6:03 pm

Close enough.  ;D

Written By: Davester on 07/16/07 at 6:26 pm

Guys, 24-7 music videos just wouldn't work today.  They've long since lost their novelty and mass market appeal...

Don't blame MTV.  Music videos are s-o-o last millenium...

Now, if I had digital cable, I'd be tuning into VH1 Classic...

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/16/07 at 6:33 pm

The peak period for music videos was 1983 to 1992. The "creative", storyline video sort of died after this, although there were still some interesting ones, in a simpler, darker sense for the '90s. There was a semi revival of videos (i.e. Britney) in the Y2K era, but it didn't really equal their original run. And yeah, they're generally pretty boring and mediocre now.

Guys, it's the same problem with pop music in general - if the industry doesn't put as much money or effort into bands as they used to, it'll be the same with videos.

Written By: Davester on 07/16/07 at 6:56 pm

The 80s explosion of the past few years has been a real kick, and I admit I might miss it when it's gone...

We get our music remastered, expanded and reissued.  We have entire seasons of our television shows sitting on the bookcase.  We get our movies cleaned-up, digitally remastered in anamoprphic 16:9 Dolby DTS blah, blah, blah with heaping helpings of extras.  We get VH1 commentators talking about the 80s as if they'd lived it but, in fact, weren't even born yet or were still chewing on cassette tapes and shoving crayons into the VCR (which I find mildly entertaining...)

At the same time I can't help but feel manipulated.  Yeah, that's it, manipulated.  It's a Boomer conspiracy..!

Jeez Louise - I'm a consumer...! :o

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/16/07 at 7:05 pm

People can have secondhand knowledge of things, too, you know. ;)

Written By: Davester on 07/16/07 at 7:19 pm

People can have secondhand knowledge of things, too, you know. ;)

Yeah, I know.  I was just on a roll... :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/17/07 at 1:05 am

I have three words for you

Continuous Feed Paper

The bane of my existence.

http://www.buyonlinenow.com/photo2.asp%3Fphoto=EJ021713.jpg

No matter how careful I was not to let it wrap around the little thing-a-ma-bob.  It ALWAYS did.  And I had to reprint the whole 24 sheet report all over again on the dot matrix printer...wait...that's another one... The Dot Matrix or Daisy Wheel Printer...the ink sometimes would dry out (the printer ribbon) so that it was so light...you had a hard time reading what your printed out.

But the fun things were...those were the awesome days of (I think it was called) Printmaster, when I could make up cool signs for the library and didn't have to hand draw anything.  Wheeeeeee 

Written By: Timm on 07/17/07 at 8:23 am

Guys, 24-7 music videos just wouldn't work today.  They've long since lost their novelty and mass market appeal...

Don't blame MTV.  Music videos are s-o-o last millenium...

Now, if I had digital cable, I'd be tuning into VH1 Classic...

MTV hardly plays shows that have anything to do with Music period.

You have to tune into VH1 Classics or MTV2 to see music related programming.

I don't think it is too much for them to at least keep the "M" in MTV, or is it now called Miscellaneous TeleVision? ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/17/07 at 8:58 am

MTV hardly plays shows that have anything to do with Music period.

You have to tune into VH1 Classics or MTV2 to see music related programming.

I don't think it is too much for them to at least keep the "M" in MTV, or is it now called Miscellaneous TeleVision? ;)
Even now, the VH1 we have here is beginning to show non-video based programmes.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/17/07 at 11:26 am

Continuous Feed Paper

No matter how careful I was not to let it wrap around the little thing-a-ma-bob.  It ALWAYS did.  And I had to reprint the whole 24 sheet report all over again on the dot matrix printer...wait...that's another one... The Dot Matrix or Daisy Wheel Printer...the ink sometimes would dry out (the printer ribbon) so that it was so light...you had a hard time reading what your printed out.

But the fun things were...those were the awesome days of (I think it was called) Printmaster, when I could make up cool signs for the library and didn't have to hand draw anything.  Wheeeeeee 

Ah yeah, dot matrix. My ancient dinosaur came with one of those. I still have it but it is tucked away in a box.

Oh, another thing-film cameras. You can rarely find film cameras anymore. They are all digital. I'm still a holdout for the film cameras. I was at a family function last month and everyone had their cameras with them. They all laughed at me because I had a camera that still uses film.

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/17/07 at 12:36 pm

Polaroid cameras were more popular.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/17/07 at 12:37 pm

Back then there was no other option?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/17/07 at 3:41 pm

Yeah I liked the instant developing cameras, although the film was really quite expensive.

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/17/07 at 11:22 pm

Yeah I liked the instant developing cameras, although the film was really quite expensive.

The earliest photos of myself were taken with one of those Polaroid cameras. Not only did my parents spend a fortune on film, they also had to buy separate disposable flashes that attached on top of the camera. They stopped using that camera when they bought one of those thin 110 (I think that's what they're called) cameras, and later a 35MM.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/18/07 at 12:52 am

The earliest photos of myself were taken with one of those Polaroid cameras. Not only did my parents spend a fortune on film, they also had to buy separate disposable flashes that attached on top of the camera. They stopped using that camera when they bought one of those thin 110 (I think that's what they're called) cameras, and later a 35MM.

Yeah, your are right about the 110.  I absolutely adored my 110 camera.  I used it all the time.  Then 35 mm started getting much more popular and it began getting harder and harder to find film for it, then I finally broke down and bought a 35mm. 

Anybody remember those cameras called "disc" cameras? 
http://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/Pix/ENT/29/10311729_T.JPG

That's what came between Polaroid instant cameras and 35MM cameras for us.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/18/07 at 5:19 pm

Kids today are inside with their Hi DEF TVs and their Playstations and Wii's, and iPods.  They have it so easy
When I was growing up in the 80s, the top technology was like a VCR, a NES, and a cellular phone the size of a brick lol

All of that is very true. Especially the cell phone the size of a brick - gotta love that - my Dad had one of those  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/18/07 at 6:19 pm

Back then there was no other option?

I kind of miss the Polarroid camera, the film was expensive, but I like the idea of instant film developing.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/20/07 at 4:52 pm

I had a 126 camera and then got a 110 one before going to the 35MM. I do remember the flash cubes. Got 4 flashes to a cube. I thought it was so cool that they started attaching the flash to the cameras.

Cat

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/23/07 at 5:02 pm

I had a 126 camera and then got a 110 one before going to the 35MM. I do remember the flash cubes. Got 4 flashes to a cube. I thought it was so cool that they started attaching the flash to the cameras.

Cat

We used 110 and Polaroids growing up. I remember getting a cheap Vivitar 35mm camera when I was 9, and it never worked very well. I think I got one good roll out of that.

I still have a good quality 35mm Advantix camera that I still would use, but it's at my mom's house now.

Written By: vicemancometh on 07/24/07 at 10:58 pm

-VCRs
-Walkmans
-Cable TV
-Word processors
-NES
-Boom boxes
-Night time soaps

80's clothes were a lot more fun, even though they didn't last long...but hey, some are coming back 8) ::)
Cat

Written By: Lorelei on 07/24/07 at 10:59 pm

Monotenous TV?
MpTy V is how I see it today.  As for pop up video, you can catch it on VH1 Classics on Saturday afternoons....Just watch 2 hours of it this past weekend, my kid thinks I'm a freak.  She wanted to know why Boy George was dressed like that...

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/25/07 at 12:02 am

Lorelei
eMpTy V is how I see it today.  As for pop up video, you can catch it on VH1 Classics on Saturday afternoons....Just watch 2 hours of it this past weekend, my kid thinks I'm a freak.  She wanted to know why Boy George was dressed like that...

We all wondered what Boy George was wearing back then.

Written By: woops on 07/26/07 at 3:06 am

classic theatrical cartoons were still shown on tv

Written By: vespagirl on 09/03/07 at 9:17 pm

Yes, kids played outside!  We also walked to school or rode our bikes, even if it was far.  All of these Amber Alerts, etc. have parents so paranoid that nobody's allowed out unsupervised (which perversely makes things more unsafe  because no other kids are walking to school or playing in the park either.)  I live in a nice, safe suburb and there are no kids playing outside, ever.

I think music was more inclusive and varied. Of course some people liked rock and some people liked dance music and some people liked new wave, but they played all of these things at school dances and nobody minded. You would listen to Def Leppard AND Wham and the Talking Heads AND Prince, all on the same radio station.  Now, if you like rap, you never have to accidentally hear a rock song, or vice versa. I think that's a bad thing.

Fashion was more fun, IMO.

Written By: woops on 09/03/07 at 11:49 pm

Disney Channel aired classic Disney animation and didn't spawn any manufactured pop acts besides The Party

Written By: Timm on 09/04/07 at 3:11 pm

Disney Channel aired classic Disney animation and didn't spawn any manufactured pop acts besides The Party

Annette Funicello  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/04/07 at 3:16 pm

The biggest difference would be about 30 years.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/14 at 3:25 pm

Utility Bills were cheaper!

Written By: 80sfan on 04/29/14 at 3:39 pm

Rock was still the dominant type of music!

Written By: Howard on 04/29/14 at 4:05 pm

Rock was still the dominant type of music!

and lots of classic R & B.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/14 at 4:08 pm

cell phones were much bigger back then compared to now.

http://mindscurry.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/image60.png

http://www.surfandsunshine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/2014-01-11-11.34.03-pm.png
1984 is not showing.

Written By: warped on 04/29/14 at 8:07 pm

In the 80s there was some good music, some really good TV shows and movies.
Now? I see nothing I like in those 3 areas.  As a result, I don't listen to new music, don't go to movie theaters and cancelled my cable years ago.

You felt safer in the 80s than now.
The economy was booming in the 80s.
People were friendlier in the 80s
People are too much in a rush now too.
I was in my 20s for the majority of the 80s...had a lot of fun in the 80s  :)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/29/14 at 8:15 pm

http://nanobitwallpaper.com/wp-content/uploads/apple-computers-timeline.jpg

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 04/29/14 at 8:46 pm

I was between 0 und 3.
Now I am between 23 and 33.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/29/14 at 9:46 pm

I was between 4-13.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/29/14 at 10:17 pm

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr01/2013/4/14/19/enhanced-buzz-25725-1365980501-0.jpg

Written By: Howard on 04/30/14 at 6:32 am

In the 80s there was some good music, some really good TV shows and movies.

and what do you see now? stupid and dumb reality shows. ::)

Written By: Howard on 04/30/14 at 6:34 am

now everything is smaller for people to use. And now we take our computer with us wherever we go.

Written By: Howard on 04/30/14 at 6:37 am

http://www.liketotally80s.com/images/cosby-show.jpg
Cosby Show

http://i.cdn.turner.com/v5cache/TBS/Images/Dynamic/i35/HOP_cast_240x260_041120071241.jpg
House Of Payne

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/08/15 at 7:00 pm

The difference increases by 24 hours as each new day arrives!

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/08/15 at 9:31 pm

I went into the clothing store Winners last month and I saw that they had racks and racks of legwarmers in there.  Wow!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/08/15 at 10:28 pm

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr01/2013/4/14/19/enhanced-buzz-25725-1365980501-0.jpg

Also, the picture should have a calender and a flashlight in there too.  The machine on the left, is that a GPS or a handheld video game?  Either way both should be in the photo too.  I use my phone for much more stuff other then talking to someone (which I still hate talking to someone on the phone.)

Written By: Howard on 02/09/15 at 2:37 pm

I went into the clothing store Winners last month and I saw that they had racks and racks of legwarmers in there.  Wow!

That's totally 80's. :o

Written By: Howard on 02/09/15 at 2:39 pm

http://chipchickcom.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/USBRetroMobileMP3Player_3_640.jpg
1980's cell phone
http://www.2015phones.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Apple-iPhone-6.jpg
2015 cell phone

Written By: Elor on 02/10/15 at 5:38 am

http://chipchickcom.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/USBRetroMobileMP3Player_3_640.jpg
1980's cell phone
Sure about that one? The thing has USB ports. :D

Written By: Howard on 02/10/15 at 2:31 pm

Sure about that one? The thing has USB ports. :D

It sure looks 80's.

Written By: Howard on 02/10/15 at 2:35 pm

http://www.kora.com/bananaq8/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/nintendo23.jpg
Nintendo 1985

http://kidsbesttoys.net/wp-content/images/playstation-3-video-game-console-1.jpg
Playstation 3

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/10/15 at 4:21 pm

http://static3.paizo.com/image/product/catalog/PZOP/PZOP0077_500.jpeg https://static.squarespace.com/static/51b3dc8ee4b051b96ceb10de/51ce6099e4b0d911b4489b79/51ce6170e4b0d911b44945ca/1319343876095/1000w/os5_172a.jpeg

Written By: Howard on 02/11/15 at 2:36 pm

http://static3.paizo.com/image/product/catalog/PZOP/PZOP0077_500.jpeg https://static.squarespace.com/static/51b3dc8ee4b051b96ceb10de/51ce6099e4b0d911b4489b79/51ce6170e4b0d911b44945ca/1319343876095/1000w/os5_172a.jpeg

after almost 30 years later, I still have my Garbage Pail Kids. :)

Written By: Howard on 02/11/15 at 2:38 pm

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/5859/8751887_1.jpg?v=8CC46ACA1C3A4B0
1980's television set

http://cnet1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2014/11/07/9d631bc6-e24c-4b73-b089-51e9b01e7804/resize/770x578/3086fe365adb9b14d4f7c2df02336c1d/samsung-hu8550-tv-product-photos01.jpg
2015 television set (4D)

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 02/11/15 at 2:53 pm

Dress Code:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Sh0xKRUU3Kk/S6qOGJPjcRI/AAAAAAAADpc/CfACmVAoZRk/s1600/members+only+vintage+jacket.jpg

Toys:

https://2warpstoneptune.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/ljn-1987-2.jpg

The Music:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_iKgYzvi5tus/TJ564Ti0T9I/AAAAAAAAAaI/cnvi9037DC8/s1600/01.jpg

Cartoons w/o CGI:

http://showbizgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Screen-Shot-2014-03-31-at-15.18.52.png

Haircuts:

http://www.acorndreaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/3468065447_7490e53105.jpg

Food:

https://thecityworkshop.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/gigglesnabisco.jpg

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/11/15 at 4:38 pm

after almost 30 years later, I still have my Garbage Pail Kids. :)

My mom never let me have any of those things.  :P I can't say that I blame her for that.  :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/11/15 at 9:43 pm

Continuous Feed Paper

To reply to my 8 year-old post... The thing I actually liked about continuous feed paper was peeling the sides (peg hole things) (what was the proper terminology for those anyway?)  I would end up with feet of those things, it was kinda like a geek's (yes, that was me) version of Christmas tree garland.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/12/15 at 1:12 pm

http://i.cbc.ca/1.2171018.1382503231!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/original_300/platinumblonde-cmw.jpg http://www.nowmusicfanblog.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Duran+Duran+1984.jpg
Music went from one extreme

http://nashvillemafia.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/poison512.jpg https://recollectionsofplay.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/band-5.jpg

To another

Written By: Howard on 02/12/15 at 2:09 pm

My mom never let me have any of those things.  :P I can't say that I blame her for that.  :)

Why not? those cards are pretty harmless besides a few grotesque pictures.

Written By: Howard on 02/12/15 at 2:12 pm

http://www.calvinshub.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/toy-revolver.jpg
80's toy gun

http://www.gunsandammo.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/2/files/first-look-new-guns-from-kimber-in-2015/kimber_rcp-ii-lg-crimson.jpg

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/12/15 at 5:13 pm

Why not? those cards are pretty harmless besides a few grotesque pictures.

I don't remember the reason why?

Written By: Howard on 02/13/15 at 7:08 am

http://francissky.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/6013980-young-couple-having-a-funny-conversation-and-standing-face-to-face-at-table-enjoying-a-cup-of-tea-to.jpg
face to face conversations

https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/p/7/005/096/3c1/3d9f0a4.jpg

notice the difference?

Written By: Elor on 02/13/15 at 5:32 pm

http://francissky.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/6013980-young-couple-having-a-funny-conversation-and-standing-face-to-face-at-table-enjoying-a-cup-of-tea-to.jpg

notice the difference?

So true and one of the reasons why I don't own a smart phone.  >:(

Written By: Howard on 02/13/15 at 5:43 pm

So true and one of the reasons why I don't own a smart phone.  >:(

and this is the reason no one does face to face conversations anymore! ::)

Written By: Elor on 02/13/15 at 6:10 pm

and this is the reason no one does face to face conversations anymore! ::)
Yep. It's nice to sit in a room with 8 people during lunch break and no one says a word but is staring on a phone display instead. :-[

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/13/15 at 8:16 pm

notice the difference?

I own an I-Phone and I can resist the urge to look at it if it's necessary.

Written By: Howard on 02/14/15 at 7:05 am

Yep. It's nice to sit in a room with 8 people during lunch break and no one says a word but is staring on a phone display instead. :-[

I know, what happened to the days when you could talk to someone face to face without staring at your phone all day? ::)

Written By: Howard on 02/14/15 at 7:09 am

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00863/460-reading_863045c.jpg
reading a classic book

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Technology/ann_tto_ereaders_120430_wg.jpg
The Kindle and Nook-E-Reader

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/14/15 at 1:46 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/parents/content/imgs/slb_erik_ext.jpg

Children's Shows then.....

http://www.weirdworm.com/img/people/10-bizarre-kids-tv-shows/teletubbies.jpg

Children's Shows now!!!

Written By: Howard on 02/14/15 at 3:44 pm

Children's Shows now!!!

What I miss are good old fashioned sitcoms.

Written By: Howard on 02/14/15 at 3:48 pm

http://www.kitguru.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/sony-walkman.jpg
Sony Walkman 1981
http://images.christianpost.com/full/76318/ipod-touch.jpg
Sony IPod 2015

Written By: meesa on 02/14/15 at 4:59 pm

The way we communicate. Technology meant to bring us closer has made us all much more isolated. Then if you had an issue with someone you would challenge them face to face about it, now people post all of their drama on facebook in a passive aggressive tirade-no names given but a whole lot of rant.  ::) If you wanted to talk to your boyfriend late night, and you weren't lucky enough to have a 'teenager line' phone, you would have to sneak and get the phone to talk,now- kids just hop on skype or whatever and chat. Writing actual letters was a common form of communication with people from far away- remember having pen pals? Now- just hop on the phone or computer and you can get up to date immediately.

We may have instant communication access, but most of our communication is not really communicating anything. Unless you want to know what someone had for dinner, or their score on the latest game that fakebook has released, or look at yet another selfie from someone who just had to take yet another picture of themselves.

We have so much communication technology at our fingertips, but what are we using it for?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/14/15 at 11:25 pm

Children's Shows now!!!
Teletubbies are so 1990's than today!

Written By: Howard on 02/15/15 at 2:16 pm

We have so much communication technology at our fingertips, but what are we using it for?

I know Meesa, communication these days is a lost art.

Written By: Howard on 02/15/15 at 2:19 pm

https://zerode.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/theatreaudience1940s.jpg
watching films in a classic movie theater

http://www.techdigest.tv/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/family-watching-netflix-featured.jpg
watching films on Netflix

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 02/15/15 at 7:52 pm

http://www.ultimatetop10s.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Donkey_Kong_handheld_game_Pocket_and_Watch.jpg

Original

https://justanothervideogameblogblog.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/nintendo-ds.jpg

Inspired- like every other toy on the market today.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_g8EvXQj0jLg/TCvEhN7QPQI/AAAAAAAAArc/RsUJiJculHU/s1600/RR1.jpg

Plastic Cups from Mcdonalds

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hm86IoZNpn0/VGIPs9n1TRI/AAAAAAAAyMU/rHVmcS63ilk/s1600/Coke-Glass-1.jpg

Glass cups at Mcdonalds

Written By: Howard on 02/16/15 at 6:47 am

http://www.ultimatetop10s.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Donkey_Kong_handheld_game_Pocket_and_Watch.jpg

This was my favorite game to play during the early-mid 80's.

Written By: Howard on 02/16/15 at 6:49 am

http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/NES-Console-Set.jpg
NES 1985
http://www.kitguru.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/nintendo_3ds_xl.jpg
Nintendo 3DS

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 02/16/15 at 7:21 am

This was my favorite game to play during the early-mid 80's.

I had the Donkey Kong mini arcade game only.

Then:

https://highvoltageblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/30880470123120173452.png
"Will you GO with me"?

Now:

http://cdn.smartphowned.hollywood.com/2013/6/28/f3dd610314e2bcf44d9aff8103f9cd8d.jpg
"Will you go out with me"?

Written By: Howard on 02/16/15 at 7:44 am

I had the Donkey Kong mini arcade game only.

Then:

https://highvoltageblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/30880470123120173452.png
"Will you GO with me"?

Now:

http://cdn.smartphowned.hollywood.com/2013/6/28/f3dd610314e2bcf44d9aff8103f9cd8d.jpg
"Will you go out with me"?

Back when you talked to a person face to face.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 02/16/15 at 4:38 pm

https://kpwebster.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/mwilder.jpg

Then: Annoying Earworms that we all know and sang along to at one point or another.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-j0c1WDq-4-U/VDHzdYqnpPI/AAAAAAAABF0/Gs4WifDU0ns/s1600/Meghan-Trainor_All-About-That-Bass_video-snap.jpg

Now: Annoying songs that aren't even earworms that most people (over the age of 12, anyway) want to set ablaze.

Written By: Howard on 02/17/15 at 2:08 pm

http://johntrent.publishpath.com/Websites/johntrent/images/Typewriter_PPT.png
old school typewriter

http://ak.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/1898398/preview/stock-footage-male-hands-texting-or-typing-on-a-touchscreen-smartphone-horizontal.jpg
now we're just texting

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/17/15 at 9:12 pm

t7Be6MVNz10

Remember when TV stations went off the air?

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 02/17/15 at 10:18 pm

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-4-PPQOF9ClU/TtxUziISYfI/AAAAAAAAD9s/IABhQ-SmZ5s/s1600/three+popples.jpg

Then: Dolls you bought from a Woolworths.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Mod1PEqOsZU/Uv_0wEtOacI/AAAAAAAARBE/sToQmnZHuZ4/s1600/BuildABearWorkshop.png

Now: Build your own stuffed doll anyway you want.

Written By: Howard on 02/18/15 at 2:22 pm

http://palisadesmac.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Screen-shot-2012-08-12-at-11.36.53-PM.png
1980's rotary phone
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/6Ps22-Kw2Bs/hqdefault.jpg iPhone 2015

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 02/18/15 at 8:35 pm

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_bW2XP2-LSII/S9bx8RWKE4I/AAAAAAAACQ0/lh4YSrY3Opw/s1600/s94596513.jpg

Then: Flavored Seltzer water

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-N_xOS0ATQpM/UbXaQwpGLrI/AAAAAAAAAFQ/u23Xwq6pCHE/s1600/Glaceau_Vitamin_Water.jpg

Now: Vitamin Water

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/18/15 at 10:39 pm

http://www.musicbymailcanada.com/PlatinumBlonde/vid4sm.JPG http://www.maplemusic.com/assets/product_images/plb_cover.jpg

Platinum Blonde the 1985 version and the 2012 version.  Nothing wrong with the new band vs the old band.  I just miss the old band.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/18/15 at 11:55 pm

How you "met" people to date.  Used to be you could place an ad in a local newspaper or perhaps be set up by friends or meet in a bar or at school.

Nowadays, the dating "pool" is wider, since you can conceivably "meet" people from around the world, through the computer, by message boards or ads on dating websites.

Written By: winteriscoming on 02/19/15 at 12:08 am

t7Be6MVNz10

Remember when TV stations went off the air?

When did TV stations stop signing off the air? I think I might remember some signing off in the late 90s, but it would have only been local stations.

Written By: Howard on 02/19/15 at 3:17 pm

How you "met" people to date.  Used to be you could place an ad in a local newspaper or perhaps be set up by friends or meet in a bar or at school.

Nowadays, the dating "pool" is wider, since you can conceivably "meet" people from around the world, through the computer, by message boards or ads on dating websites.

It was better the old fashioned way.

Written By: Howard on 02/19/15 at 3:19 pm

http://the-travel-masters.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/take-photos-on-the-beach.jpg
taking a picture with an old fashioned camera
http://thefusejoplin.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/selfie-taking-picture1.jpg
now we're taking selfies

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/19/15 at 5:16 pm

Remember when Much Music and MTV actually played MUSIC and they were legitimate?

rH8SiRg1nUQ

RIP Mark Dailey 1953-2010

3kP6wo3rBIw

Steve Anthony's first day on the job.  :)

-XRhKbS8lMk

JD Roberts and Christopher Ward launching Much Music.  ;D What a hell of a way to start a rock n roll show. ;D LOL! ;D

Written By: Elor on 02/20/15 at 5:02 am

VW Golf MK 1 (1974 - 1983)
http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/54/1012554/3165356234643539.jpg

VW Golf MK 2 (1983 - 1992)
http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/54/1012554/3733323266366234.jpg

VW Golf MK 7 (2012 - )
http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/54/1012554/6431643565346239.jpg

Written By: Howard on 02/20/15 at 7:11 am

http://www.childofthe1980s.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/digital-watch.jpg
1980's Casio watch

http://www.dirtbikebitz.com/images/products/coliseum_red-_black_squ.jpg
2015 watch

Written By: Howard on 02/20/15 at 7:13 am

Remember when Much Music and MTV actually played MUSIC and they were legitimate?
Yeah I remember those days when they actually played music.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/15 at 7:15 am

http://www.childofthe1980s.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/digital-watch.jpg
1980's Casio watch

http://www.dirtbikebitz.com/images/products/coliseum_red-_black_squ.jpg
2015 watch
A modern day watch can be the mobile phone.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 02/20/15 at 9:38 am

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-WEQU4mQ3eEg/T-s_ZJO6jeI/AAAAAAAAAsY/In5pNHRQiOY/s1600/VAN+SARKI+006642_.jpg

Then: You had prime-time TV show logo shirts only.

https://pemberleylane.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/wpid-photo-18-oct-2013-2024.jpg

Now: Two words: Character tees.

Written By: Elor on 02/20/15 at 4:04 pm

1980's Casio watch

Actually I bought one of those in silver in 2005 and my brother in law got one just like on the picture last year.
Seems they are still going strong.  :)
(though I believe the current ones are a bit thinner than the original ones were)

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 02/20/15 at 5:07 pm

https://tribeyeo.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/wikipedia.jpeg

Then: Sitcoms with a heartthrob in them.

https://thetvwatchtower.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/tmd2.jpg

Now: Sitcoms with an average looking guy as the brother.

Written By: Howard on 02/21/15 at 6:51 am

http://magazine.dv247.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Technics-SL1200-Mk1.png
A 1980's Victrola
http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/0000305ac/463c_orh348w620/Pono-music-player-10.jpg
The Pono Player

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 02/21/15 at 10:42 am

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Ux7VN3xGbgo/U9Wst7yT45I/AAAAAAAAS9k/EdWiKsDDQjA/s1600/1funnyalbum3.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzv9y7xG3U1qgi75ko1_500.jpg

Then: Hideous styles

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ph4359ddVps/UagTiVikueI/AAAAAAAAAqY/_PxpToEP7cU/s1600/IMG_8816.JPG

Now: Bland Designer Clothing

Written By: Howard on 02/21/15 at 5:49 pm

http://panachereport.com/channels/hip%20hop%20gallery/images/owapeabo.gif
In 1985 we had Peabo Bryson

http://images.canberratimes.com.au/2015/01/06/6141630/Article%20Lead%20-%20wide6469037412dcsdimage.related.articleLeadwide.729x410.12ijeu.png1419803236745.jpg-620x349.jpg
now we have Rhianna

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 02/21/15 at 6:14 pm

http://images.canberratimes.com.au/2015/01/06/6141630/Article%20Lead%20-%20wide6469037412dcsdimage.related.articleLeadwide.729x410.12ijeu.png1419803236745.jpg-620x349.jpg
now we have Rhianna

8-P

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/21/15 at 10:04 pm

When did TV stations stop signing off the air? I think I might remember some signing off in the late 90s, but it would have only been local stations.

Yeah, I definitely remember our local stations still signing off the air into the '90s, but I'm not sure when they stopped. One station around here (an NBC one I believe) I vividly remember from back then would sign off every night by showing old black-and-white battle footage from World War II with the national anthem playing over it.

Written By: nally on 02/21/15 at 10:16 pm

Yeah, I definitely remember our local stations still signing off the air into the '90s, but I'm not sure when they stopped. One station around here (an NBC one I believe) I vividly remember from back then would sign off every night by showing old black-and-white battle footage from World War II with the national anthem playing over it.

That is quite interesting. I always wondered what TV stations did when they "signed off the air"; I figured there might be no picture at all, or just a "test card"; I wouldn't know, as I was usually never awake during the "graveyard shift" hours back then; even if I was, I wouldn't often watch TV.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/21/15 at 11:12 pm

That is quite interesting. I always wondered what TV stations did when they "signed off the air"; I figured there might be no picture at all, or just a "test card"; I wouldn't know, as I was usually never awake during the "graveyard shift" hours back then; even if I was, I wouldn't often watch TV.

It naturally differed from station to station. There were some that would put up the old "test pattern", but there was one particularly small PBS affiliate around here that would actually just cut to static during it's morning sign-off period.

Needless to say, if you fell asleep with your television on that channel, and with the volume turned up too high, you would be in for quite a rude awakening. ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/22/15 at 12:00 am

It naturally differed from station to station. There were some that would put up the old "test pattern", but there was one particularly small PBS affiliate around here that would actually just cut to static during it's morning sign-off period.

Needless to say, if you fell asleep with your television on that channel, and with the volume turned up too high, you would be in for quite a rude awakening. ;D

http://media.giphy.com/media/xWlgutH3ZZF6w/giphy.gif

And static wasn't a blue screen with the words "no signal" on it.  Both the audio and video were just whatever white noise was in that portion of the broadcast spectrum at the time.

Written By: Howard on 02/22/15 at 2:26 pm

8-P

I don't blame you.

Written By: Howard on 02/22/15 at 2:29 pm

It was also back in the 80's when they signed off for the morning with a color bar afterwards.
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/n3XQmPgVS08/maxresdefault.jpg

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/22/15 at 7:42 pm

KtSgExIs9kc

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 02/22/15 at 10:42 pm

http://www.liketotally80s.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/80s-slang.gif

Then: Slang everyone has heard.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bVhVrlzp7XQ/UwY81Exv6II/AAAAAAAAnz0/jKK-djsTHpk/s1600/thot.jpg

Now: Slang that makes you go, "Whaat"?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/23/15 at 12:16 am

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Ux7VN3xGbgo/U9Wst7yT45I/AAAAAAAAS9k/EdWiKsDDQjA/s1600/1funnyalbum3.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzv9y7xG3U1qgi75ko1_500.jpg

Then: Hideous styles

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ph4359ddVps/UagTiVikueI/AAAAAAAAAqY/_PxpToEP7cU/s1600/IMG_8816.JPG

Now: Bland Designer Clothing

80s fashion style really weren't like that.  I mean, I was a teen then in a rural area, but I had never seen fashion like that only in "flashback photos", mostly I wore a polo shirt and jeans, and leg warmers. When I wanted to go to a dance, I'd wear a sparkley jacket (but nothing like the crazy shoulder pads.)  I can't remember any neon stuff that I had, but I probably had a pair of socks or something.

This was me, waiting to get into a concert (I think Foreigner) in 1985.  http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff30/bookmistress4ever/Pattyatconcert1985.jpg

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/23/15 at 12:50 am

80s fashion style really weren't like that.  I mean, I was a teen then in a rural area, but I had never seen fashion like that only in "flashback photos", mostly I wore a polo shirt and jeans, and leg warmers. When I wanted to go to a dance, I'd wear a sparkley jacket (but nothing like the crazy shoulder pads.)  I can't remember any neon stuff that I had, but I probably had a pair of socks or something.

This was me, waiting to get into a concert (I think Foreigner) in 1985.  http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff30/bookmistress4ever/Pattyatconcert1985.jpg

I really liked wearing dresses and skirts when I was really little but I never knew how to sit in them properly with my knees closed.  So my teacher at the time asked me not to wear skirts and dresses anymore.  I've been wearing pants and jeans ever since.  :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/23/15 at 1:50 am

I really liked wearing dresses and skirts when I was really little but I never knew how to sit in them properly with my knees closed.  So my teacher at the time asked me not to wear skirts and dresses anymore.  I've been wearing pants and jeans ever since.  :)

The last time I wore heels was probably in the late 80s.  I just never could get the graceful stride going in them.  I was all wobbly-ankled.  I still love dresses, but mostly maxi-dresses (down to my ankles) (even though, as a short person, a different style might look better on me.)  So I wear my flat shoes, even though my hubby is a whole foot taller then me.  ;D

Here is an example of the jackets that I was mentioning in my other post.  This picture was probably taken 1998 but sparkly jackets like this were what I preferred back in the 80s as well.  http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff30/bookmistress4ever/Newyears1999-1.jpg

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 02/23/15 at 9:09 am

https://humorinamerica.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/eddiemurphy.jpg

Then: Leather jackets and pants

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-mwmzzY-6cvs/Uew8TEs6-1I/AAAAAAAAA9M/qFhmNgB5s5I/s1600/Sam+and+Cat+Rap+2+In+Sam+and+Cat+%23BabysitterWar.JPG

Now: Swagger

Written By: Howard on 02/23/15 at 2:03 pm

http://www.liketotally80s.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/80s-slang.gif

Then: Slang everyone has heard.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bVhVrlzp7XQ/UwY81Exv6II/AAAAAAAAnz0/jKK-djsTHpk/s1600/thot.jpg

Now: Slang that makes you go, "Whaat"?

kids these days use acronyms for slang compared to 30 years ago.

Written By: Howard on 02/23/15 at 2:07 pm

http://www.computermuseum.li/Testpage/AlphieII.jpg
Alphie (1982)

http://cf-resrc.outsideonline.com/C=W100P,H100.0P/S=W856,U/O=90,P/http://media.outsideonline.com/images/the-future-of-food-2015_h.jpg
Now robots could do almost anything.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/23/15 at 2:21 pm

http://www.nowmusicfanblog.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Duran+Duran+1984.jpg

Teen idols back then

http://www.billboard.com/files/media/one-direction-brit-awards-red-carpet-2014-650-430.jpg

Teen idols now.  :P

Check for new replies or respond here...