inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The two versions of Madonna's "Borderline"?

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/23/07 at 12:31 pm

The hit single version, which is the mix they used for the video as well as whenever they play it on the radio (and was the one I was familarized with), is more dance-pop oriented. However, the album version, which is a little longer with a couple extra verses, also has a bit of a different mix. It actually kinda sounds electronic, like a 1984 version of "Ray of Light" almost! Has anyone ever noted this?

Subject: Re: The two versions of Madonna's "Borderline"?

Written By: whistledog on 07/23/07 at 12:33 pm

I didn't even realize the album version was different than the single. I'll have to dig out my cassette copy and give a listen.  I always like it when album versions are different from the single versions .. it's like you get 2 different songs 8)

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/23/07 at 12:36 pm

Yeah, I actually find myself liking the video mix of songs more than the "real" one quite a bit. It's nice to have different versions to choose from, though, I agree.

Written By: nally on 07/23/07 at 2:46 pm

Personally I like the longer version better (5 minutes or so). I heard that one on the radio a few times back in 2000, but not lately. Before then, I was unaware that there was a long version; I had only been familiar with the standard 3 1/2 minute version.

Written By: midnite on 07/23/07 at 3:41 pm

yes, i noticed that a few years ago but did not realize where to get both versions.  The newer version has a little extra beat that you can hear after "borderline" and before "feels like im going to lose my mind."

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/24/07 at 12:44 am

I've always preferred the album version; it's the one I grew up with, especially since I've owned Madonna's debut album on cassette since 1985.  :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/25/07 at 5:09 pm

I've also always enjoyed the longer, album version.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 07/26/07 at 2:46 am

The hit single version, which is the mix they used for the video as well as whenever they play it on the radio (and was the one I was familarized with), is more dance-pop oriented. However, the album version, which is a little longer with a couple extra verses, also has a bit of a different mix. It actually kinda sounds electronic, like a 1984 version of "Ray of Light" almost! Has anyone ever noted this?
Yeah I remember that. She also has two versions of Express Yourself.

Written By: ldivinag on 10/23/07 at 5:44 am

I didn't even realize the album version was different than the single. I'll have to dig out my cassette copy and give a listen.  I always like it when album versions are different from the single versions .. it's like you get 2 different songs 8)

i bought TONS of 12" singles from the mid to late 80s.

almost every single song had 2-3 diff versions.  like a HOUSE cut.  a DUB REMIX.  a FREESTYLE version (a more faster up beat) and so on...

my favs were the ones that included an accapella version and a instrumental...

Written By: Midas on 10/23/07 at 2:42 pm

Here's a great list of Madonna discography.  I have 2 copies of the "Borderline" b/w "Lucky Star" US 12" Single on Sire Records - both tracks remixed by John "Jellybean" Benitez, who remixed most of her work in the early years.  I prefer his 12" mix to the album version - more percussion and echo EFX.

Shep Pettibone did the mixes for "Express Yourself".  I prefer the housier versions (variations of and including the Non-Stop Express Mix, Stop & Go Dubs and Shep's 'Spressin' Himself Remix).

Written By: Paul on 10/23/07 at 4:22 pm

Yeah I remember that. She also has two versions of Express Yourself.

There's also two versions (at least!) of 'True Blue'...

There's the standard LP version which may have been issued as the single in America (I can't be exactly sure), but we in Britain (and possibly other territories) had a different version of the remix as the single...and it's not a straight edit of it either! And it's also dam' impossible to get hold of!

'La Isla Bonita' also differs very slightly in its LP and single formats...

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/23/07 at 4:40 pm

i should know this stuff. i have her whole discography.

i haven't listened to her in ages, though.

Check for new replies or respond here...