inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Some thoughts on the 1980's turning 30

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/31/07 at 4:57 pm

Last night I saw a show filmed in 1974 about Hank Aaron's home run chase, and it was mentioned that Babe Ruth had retired 39 years earlier, and they were talking about how long ago that was. That made me think that now that 2007 is more than half-way over, that means that we are only 2 and a half years away from 1980 being 30 years old.

Does this seem weird to anyone else? I know that to some older people, maybe those born in the '50s or earlier, it may not be that big of a deal, but as someone born in the '80s, it kinda freaks me out to think that the '80s could be getting that old. Before you know it, early PC's, the NES, the Reagan presidency, and hair metal will all be 30 years old or older. In 2010 even the most current '80s year(1989) will have been 21 years ago.

As hard as it is to believe, it may not be much longer before we start hearing Bon Jovi, and Warrant on classic rock stations, and MC Hammer being played on the Oldies stations :o

Subject: Re: Some thoughts on the 1980's turning 30

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/31/07 at 5:51 pm

It's really hard to imagine that it's been nearly 30 years since Atari, New Wave, MTV, Rainbow Brite, etc......unbelievable how time just flies by.  :\'(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/31/07 at 10:04 pm

Yes, it seems very very odd and sad to me. I hate the fact that the decades just keep flying by. It just seems like a lot of stuff took place yesterday...but then 20 or 30 years go by. :-\\

Written By: fusefan on 07/31/07 at 10:34 pm

What's scarier is the 1990s turning 20!

Yikes!  :o

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/31/07 at 11:27 pm

What's scarier is the 1990s turning 20!

I know for me it is 9 years away, but to me that means my 20 year high school reunion will come before I know it!  :o

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 08/01/07 at 8:23 am

80s fashion may be re-appearing everywhere and 80s rock bands re-forming and touring.......but the older the 80s become, the harder it becomes for a tragic 80s-head like myself to pretend it's still the 80s. :\'(

Written By: danootaandme on 08/01/07 at 9:33 am

Yes, it seems very very odd and sad to me. I hate the fact that the decades just keep flying by. It just seems like a lot of stuff took place yesterday...but then 20 or 30 years go by. :-\\

And it only seems to go faster, and faster.....

Written By: nally on 08/01/07 at 3:03 pm

That means I'll be turning 30 in just three years! :o :o Time just flies by...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/02/07 at 10:01 am

I try not to think about it, because I turned 31 recently.  ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/02/07 at 10:52 am

That means I'll be turning 30 in just three years! :o :o Time just flies by...

Yeah, it does. Right now, nobody younger than 11 or 12 can remember the '90s at all, and remember those millennium babies born back on January 1, 2000 that everyone was making a big deal about? Soon they will be 8!

I guess the most shocking thing is that, to really remember the entire '80s you have to be at least 30 or older :o

Written By: nally on 08/02/07 at 2:03 pm

I guess the most shocking thing is that, to really remember the entire '80s you have to be at least 30 or older :o

Right. And most such people would have to have been alive at some point during the '70s.

Since I was in the single digits throughout the 80's, I do not remember any cultural aspects; except for maybe one or two movies and a few kiddie tv programs...and some game shows that were on. Mostly I remember my childhood life; that's what the 80's were all about to me. I knew some music that was popular then, but most of it has been new to me in the last ten years or so.

Written By: KKay on 08/02/07 at 2:10 pm

wow. time does fly!
I can't believe that it was that long ago that I was wearing checkered shirts and sneakers, zippers and gloves.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/02/07 at 8:45 pm

Right. And most such people would have to have been alive at some point during the '70s.

Since I was in the single digits throughout the 80's, I do not remember any cultural aspects; except for maybe one or two movies and a few kiddie tv programs...and some game shows that were on. Mostly I remember my childhood life; that's what the 80's were all about to me. I knew some music that was popular then, but most of it has been new to me in the last ten years or so.

Guess it depends on the person and their environments.

Jeff, you've said this about yourself before, but maybe I just don't get it. ;) I'm about a year and a half younger than you and I remember about Summer 1985 and up with pretty clear accuracy, at least to the point of being able to get a "feel" of things and liking alot of the songs and video games, etc. Although I admit, I didn't really actively participate in about pop culture until just about when 1990 was turning into 1991. So I guess there's a bunch of little transitions.

One thing which I absolutely do miss, is that while I do remember alot, my personal interpretation was quite different. Everything seemed alot more innocent to me and I wasn't aware (or only very peripherally) about bad things in the world like violence, crime, or the extent in which sex tends to dominate some people's thoughts. That's why the '80s and early '90s seem like another, almost dreamlike era to me.

But back to the original topic...this does freak me out too. It seems like the '80s were perpetually "about/just a little over ten years ago" for the longest time. They hardly had the time to feel like they'd reached 20, now they're pushing 30! It's just so bizarre in a scary way.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/03/07 at 9:22 am

Guess it depends on the person and their environments.

Jeff, you've said this about yourself before, but maybe I just don't get it. ;) I'm about a year and a half younger than you and I remember about Summer 1985 and up with pretty clear accuracy, at least to the point of being able to get a "feel" of things and liking alot of the songs and video games, etc. Although I admit, I didn't really actively participate in about pop culture until just about when 1990 was turning into 1991. So I guess there's a bunch of little transitions.

Yeah, it's kinda the same way with me too. I can remember pretty much everything from when I turned 4 in 1991 an up pretty well. And like you, I didn't really start getting into music and pop culture in general until I turned 9, maybe 1996 or so, and I didn't really start buying alot of CD's and watching VH1 and MTV religiously until 1997 or '98. Despite that I've always been able to have a feel for '90s culture too.

Like say, even though I didn't really participate in it, the pop culture of say 1993 isn't really foreign to me.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/03/07 at 9:29 am

Yeah, it's kinda the same way with me too. I can remember pretty much everything from when I turned 4 in 1991 an up pretty well. And like you, I didn't really start getting into music and pop culture in general until I turned 9, maybe 1996 or so, and I didn't really start buying alot of CD's and watching VH1 and MTV religiously until 1997 or '98. Despite that I've always been able to have a feel for '90s culture too.

Like say, even though I didn't really participate in it, the pop culture of say 1993 isn't really foreign to me.

Yeah, it's half and half for me, which I didn't completely grasp until later. For instance, I may have had some good personal/family experiences or liked songs, even if they were actually more of an influence on me some years later. I'm lucky that my parents listened to alot of music in the mid '80s...both older and then-current stuff (especially my mom), so I guess that gave me a jumpstart. But even if it weren't for that, I probably would've picked up quite a bit anyway.

One of my earliest related memories was when we were at this guy's house (he was a casual friend of my parents at the time I believe, probably around 40) and he must've had MTV on. I caught the very end of Springsteen's "Glory Days" video. Even though I have snippety recognitions like that, I didn't actively know about detailed pop culture like fashion trends or slang until early 1991 via kids at school or on the bus. As well as watching television or VH1.

I guess that was the test - during the '90s I experienced a mix of current stuff as well as a "more grown up '80s" (I hung onto my NES and Eighties music, etc).

Written By: dodgeboy on 08/04/07 at 1:42 am

I am 30 now and I remember the '80s pretty well for a kid. I remember lots of 80s TV, movies, toys, some music, some politics and world events. I didn't really experience it as a teen but I was very observant so I noticed lots of things. The 90s was a joke, man!

Written By: KKay on 08/04/07 at 12:32 pm

when the 80s turn 30, it means I'm nearing an age I never thought I'd see!

damn!

Written By: Watcher29 on 08/06/07 at 8:13 am

You kids get off of my lawn!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/06/07 at 2:44 pm

;D

Written By: KKay on 08/07/07 at 3:51 pm

I'll be 42 in November.

No other age freaked me out, but this one is doing the job.
so I'm going to dive heaed-first into my past and get my butt down to the new roller disco they built not far from here.
that should help.

I miss the 80s like a long lost brother!

Written By: Warlock on 08/11/07 at 2:20 am

I've always liked the year 2010 but being a sci-fi fan I had expected us to atleast have colonized the moon by then, the idea that January 1st 2010 marks the 30th anniversary of the beginning of the 80's never occured to me, I was born in 1971 and I have near-photographic memory so I remember almost everything I saw and heard back then.

We have this commercial on danish tv from a company that makes glasses and your age tells the price of your glasses, in the commercial they show people attacking the Berlin Wall on November 9th 1989 and that made me realize that we're two years from being able to celebrate 20 years since that took place.

For some reason the Berlin Wall thing freaked me out more than this 30th anniversary, of cause it doesn't help that I'll be going to my 20th school reunion in October, it was a sort of away-from-home school (Unique to Denmark) and that's when the 80's truely began for me, it really doesn't feel like two whole decades ago.

Check for new replies or respond here...