inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I've fallen and I can't get up

Written By: Elizabeth.xox on 08/01/07 at 11:20 pm

The catch phrase that caused all of North America to laugh yet feel guilty for it.

ex - Today my friend was waiting for me and decided to go to the car..then i fell down the stairs...and lodged my foot in something....somehow I wished that I had one of those handy medic alert thingys....instead of actually trying to get up I just hollered for an hour "I've fallen and I can't get up!"...needless to say..i have learned a great respect for that old woman.

Yet everytime I think of it I laugh so hard I take a mild seizure

Subject: Re: I've fallen and I can't get up

Written By: whistledog on 08/01/07 at 11:33 pm

I always thought that commercial had the worst acting ever, which in commercials doesn't really matter, but still.  That old lady could've maybe did a better performance ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/01/07 at 11:54 pm

Weird Al included a soundclip from one of those commercials on "I Can't Watch This" (a 1992 parody of "U Can't Touch This"). And yes, it's sorta funny in an unintentional way.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/01/07 at 11:59 pm

Poor Mrs. Fletcher....falling all the time!  I still catch myself saying that every now and then. ;D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/38/Lifecall-1.jpg

"We're sending help immediately, Mrs. Fletcher" :D ;D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5e/Lifecall-2.jpg

and if you think it can't get any better than this:

here ya go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kxBfrXp7mQ

I just can't stop laughing!!! :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: whistledog on 08/02/07 at 12:06 am

^ in the related searches for that, there is a link to a remix.  That cracked me up even more ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjcBFKFSHW0

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/02/07 at 12:09 am

^ in the related searches for that, there is a link to a remix.  That cracked me up even more ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjcBFKFSHW0

OMG!! My stomach hurts from laughing so hard!! :D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: La Roche on 08/02/07 at 12:10 am

Yeah, well next time you fall over playing football and your nickname becomes Life-Alert for a month, you wont laugh so much...

... Ok.. you will..  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/02/07 at 12:11 am

It's so funny that these people actually thought that their commercial was supposed to be serious....how could they have ever thought that? ;D

Written By: whistledog on 08/02/07 at 12:24 am

So many gags have come out of that commercial.  You can buy T-shirts that say "I've fallen and I can't reach my beer"

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/02/07 at 12:26 am

So many gags have come out of that commercial.  You can buy T-shirts that say "I've fallen and I can't reach my beer"

And to think that Mrs. Fletcher was trying to be serious in her role. ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/02/07 at 12:28 am

This sort of mirrors "Where's The Beef" for unintentionally being funny as well as a pop cultural catchphrase. ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/02/07 at 12:32 am

This sort of mirrors "Where's The Beef" for unintentionally being funny as well as a pop cultural catchphrase. ;D

Yes...however, I think the "Where's The Beef" commercial was meant to be humorous...the "I've Fallen And I Can't Get Up" commercial...was supposed to be dead serious...that's what makes it even funnier! ;D :D

Written By: whistledog on 08/02/07 at 12:37 am

Those two ladies should have teamed up ...  "I've fallen and I can't find the beef"

That probably wouldn't work, cause then people would respond "Well, at your age, I'm not surprised" ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/02/07 at 12:37 am

Those two ladies should have teamed up ...  "I've fallen and I can't find the beef"

That probably wouldn't work, cause then people would respond "Well, at your age, I'm not surprised" ;D

that was so karmaworthy! ;D :D

Written By: Elizabeth.xox on 08/02/07 at 9:52 am

Haha...if you like that commercial....you will probly like this video...it's stupid but I love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWnmB-ipzo8

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/02/07 at 11:04 am

Haha...if you like that commercial....you will probly like this video...it's stupid but I love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWnmB-ipzo8

I can't believe that guy didn't get hit by a car!! :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/02/07 at 2:41 pm

Dr. Demento used to play a song called "Mrs. Fletcher" and I can't remember who did it. I'm sure I have a copy of it somewhere. And yes, you can hear poor Mrs. Fletcher saying throughout the song, "I've fallen and I can't get up."

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/02/07 at 10:20 pm

Dr. Demento used to play a song called "Mrs. Fletcher" and I can't remember who did it. I'm sure I have a copy of it somewhere. And yes, you can hear poor Mrs. Fletcher saying throughout the song, "I've fallen and I can't get up."

Cat

hahaha...that's so funny! I bet the actress that played Mrs. Fletcher never realized just how popular that commercial made her. ;D

Written By: Elizabeth.xox on 08/03/07 at 3:10 pm

When I get older i aspire to be like her!

Written By: whistledog on 08/03/07 at 4:35 pm

When I get older i aspire to be like her!

helpless and falling down all the time ? lol

Written By: Paul on 08/03/07 at 5:11 pm

Never heard of the old dear, but I'll throw this in...

I wouldn't say I'm fat, but if I fell over, I'd rock myself to sleep trying to get back up again... :P

Written By: Henk on 08/03/07 at 5:27 pm

Cat

You mean Slant 6 and the Jumpstarts?  ::)

Not that I've ever heard of them (or of Miss Fletcher).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/04/07 at 11:02 am

You mean Slant 6 and the Jumpstarts?  ::)

Not that I've ever heard of them (or of Miss Fletcher).

They are the ones. Thanks (and karma).

Cat

Written By: Watcher29 on 08/06/07 at 8:20 am

When I was taking New Testament Greek class, the instructor was teaching us a word which means "I have fallen" in the sense that one has fallen and is still on the ground. So of course the instructor was unable to resist saying "This means I *have* fallen, and I cannot get up." ;D So as you can see, this is much older than the '80s.

Written By: ladybug316 on 08/06/07 at 12:46 pm

Never heard of the old dear, but I'll throw this in...

I wouldn't say I'm fat, but if I fell over, I'd rock myself to sleep trying to get back up again... :P
;D ;D ;D KARMA!

Check for new replies or respond here...