inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Laura Brannigan's Gloria

Written By: badmitten on 08/05/07 at 9:00 pm

I wonder if anyone can answer this…  Laura Brannigan had a smash hit with the song "Gloria" in the early '80s.  There was another version that came out quickly after Brannigan's that was sung in French, but had an almost identical arrangement and sound as Brannigan's.  I think the singer's name was Sylvie, but I am having a devil of a time finding out.  I would like a copy of the French version if I could find it.  I tried to buy the vinyl record at the time I heard it, but the guy said that he bought it on a trip to France, and wouldn't sell.  Anyone have an idea about this?  Here may be a clue:  I saw a video on YouTube of Sylvie Vartan singing "Gloria" on stage (in English.)  Sylvie Vartan isn't French, but has mostly recorded in French.  Could it be her?  If so, I can't find a record of her singing "Gloria" (except for in English on YouTube.)  Anyone???

Subject: Re: Laura Brannigan's Gloria

Written By: sick boy on 08/08/07 at 8:13 am

Here I am!
Gloria came out in 1979 by Umberto Tozzi, an italian singer. Gloria is an italian song in italian language. Then, in early '80s, laura Branigan purchased copyright from Umberto Tozzi and realesed the "english version" you know.

Subject: Re: Laura Brannigan's Gloria

Written By: badmitten on 08/11/07 at 10:03 am

Thanks for that info--I was not aware of the song's origins.  However, there still was a French version that appeared very quickly after Brannigan's.  In fact, if you didn't listen carefully, you might not notice that it wasn't Brannigan--the arrangement was that similar.  But, I was a French minor in college, and it jumped out at me.  I am still searching for the French version of "Gloria"...
Thanks for the information.

Check for new replies or respond here...