inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Soul Train From 1983

Written By: T on 08/10/07 at 1:53 am

I just wanted to inform about an upcoming Soul Train episode from 1983, with host Don Cornelius and guest entertainers Angela Bofill and the band Con Funk Shun airing this Saturday on the day of August 11, 2007, CHECK YOUR LOCAL TV LISTINGS FOR TIME. This would be a great observation from this period of the 80's, in fashion, dance and music.  Great to post on this site again!

Subject: Re: Soul Train From 1983

Written By: woops on 08/29/07 at 8:28 pm

(from IMDB)

September 1st: Sheena Easton & Mary Jane Girls

September 8th: Sheila E & Five Star

Written By: robby76 on 08/30/07 at 2:43 am

Could someone please tell me what channel this will be on. I'm really interested in the Sheila E / Five Star episode.

Written By: woops on 08/30/07 at 12:51 pm

It's on the CW, check local listings.

Written By: Paul on 08/30/07 at 1:06 pm

September 8th: Sheila E & Five Star

I wouldn't have thought Five Star would have appeared in a 1983 episode (assuming it's the Five Star I know and 'love'...)

They must have still been in nappies at the time!

Wish they'd show a few of 'em in Britain ('specially the 70s episodes)...we did have our own version for a while, but it never really took off!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/30/07 at 1:25 pm

Wish they'd show a few of 'em in Britain ('specially the 70s episodes)...we did have our own version for a while, but it never really took off!

Sadly, I was unaware of this show (and American Bandstand) at the time they were being broadcasted on television...and I feel like I missed a lot!  :-\\

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/30/07 at 7:42 pm

I didn't know the CW was airing classic Soul Train episodes-I'll have to check it out sometime.

Written By: robby76 on 08/30/07 at 10:01 pm

I wouldn't have thought Five Star would have appeared in a 1983 episode (assuming it's the Five Star I know and 'love'...)

They're earliest appearance was in 1985 where they did All Fall Down and Let Me Be The One. Five Star were around in the UK in 1983 though with their very first single "Problematic".

Written By: woops on 09/06/07 at 1:55 pm

from IMDB:

Sept. 16: SOS Band, Jermaine Stewart

Sept. 22: Run DMC, Genobia Jeter

Written By: zcrito on 09/06/07 at 5:17 pm

Sadly, I was unaware of this show (and American Bandstand) at the time they were being broadcasted on television...and I feel like I missed a lot!  :-\\

Wow! How could you miss Soul Train and American Bandstand when they were originally on ?
:(
Both shows were at their height in the '70s -- lots of funky dancin' and plenty of lip-synching (and Don Cornelius had a really, really BIG afro, plus Dick Clark was only 21 years old back then)

Written By: woops on 09/15/07 at 1:05 am

End of the month: Rose Royce & Chico DeBarge

Sounds like a bad episode, though a classic Jody Watley video "Looking For A New Love"  will be shown  8)

Written By: rubix69 on 09/18/07 at 11:06 am

I think Rosie Perez was a dancer on one of the shows during this year

Written By: woops on 09/27/07 at 4:51 pm

First weekend  of next month...

Kool Moe Dee/Vanity from 1988

Kool Moe Dee's "Wild Wild West" is a good song  8)

Did "Bandstand" air classic epsodes after it got canned? I know VH1 had a "Best of" and also aired "Solid Gold" in the mid 1990's.

Check for new replies or respond here...