inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Wonder Years

Written By: Zeb on 08/10/07 at 5:50 pm

I just discovered this show last month when I got my new cable package.  It is in reruns on a channel called "Ion TV".  Let me tell you something, dear reader, the TV fat cats of today can only dream of making a TV show this entertaining and thought provoking.  I'm 22 years old but I flash back to my adolescence when I watch Kevin and his pals/family go through the things every teen has to deal with. I find my self laughing and nodding my head.  Yes ;D I reacted the same way Kevin did to situations with teachers, looks, the fairer sex, and family/friend conflicts.Although I must say that my best friends back then were the "Kevins" and i was their Paul :).  My two younger brothers and I communicated with each other the same way that Kevin and Wayne do. Another thing which impresses me is that this show was set in the late 60s/70s. The writers and cast do a fine job of portraying the personal ( and social) conflicts that many Americans faced at the time. This is best depicted in the character of Kevin's older sister.  In closing they just don't make them like this anymore. 

Subject: Re: The Wonder Years

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/10/07 at 8:50 pm

This show was one of the best shows ever created. I wish that they could/would bring it to DVD...I would rush to buy it.

Written By: ladybug316 on 08/10/07 at 8:53 pm

One of my very favorite shows ever!!  I've been watching reruns and it still makes me cry. 
Also, I was wondering if you got the "Dear Reader" line from Jane Eyre.  It's actually how I start all of my journal entries and it was really cool to see you use that phrase.

Anyhow, Wonder Years has no modern-day equal. :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/10/07 at 10:30 pm

I loved the Wonder Years.

It wasn't a sit-com.  It was much funnier.  If you've got great writers, you don't need a laughtrack.  Think the Simpsons.

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/11/07 at 12:35 am

The Wonder Years was one of the most beautifully written and produced shows I've ever had the pleasure to watch. I watched it for some time in syndication years after it was cancelled.

Written By: Zeb on 08/11/07 at 10:03 am

One of my very favorite shows ever!!  I've been watching reruns and it still makes me cry. 
Also, I was wondering if you got the "Dear Reader" line from Jane Eyre.  It's actually how I start all of my journal entries and it was really cool to see you use that phrase.

Anyhow, Wonder Years has no modern-day equal. :)

Well, ladybug, I got the "Dear Reader" line from a novel called Joseph Andrews by Henry Fielding. 

Written By: snozberries on 08/11/07 at 10:29 am

LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! This show... it really shows a time when the world was changing. Innocence is usually lost by children but in the 60's the whole country was losing its innocence and the writers of the show projected this nicely.

My favorite eps:
The Pilot- Winnie & Kevin share their first kiss
Kodachrome: with the idealic new teacher
Math Class: with the unbearable teacher who eventually inspired Kevin
Homecoming: when Wart comes back from Vietnam
Independence Day: the finale- Its the epilogue that moves me... I actually cried the first time I watched it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/11/07 at 3:02 pm

This show was one of the best shows ever created. I wish that they could/would bring it to DVD...I would rush to buy it.

I couldn't agree with you more. BTW, it is on DVD. (Maybe I should think about buying it.)

I think everyone-no matter what era they grew up in can relate to the show. Either they know someone like or they were someone like at least one of the characters.  I am 7 years younger than the character Kevin but some of the things they mention in the show, I do remember.

I feel like I was a female version of Kevin-being the youngest. Even though my sisters didn't always beat up on me, they did pick on me A LOT! I was also so unsure of myself, like Kevin. And I usually hung out with the "geeks" which basically made me a bit of a geek, too.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/11/07 at 10:30 pm

I couldn't agree with you more. BTW, it is on DVD. (Maybe I should think about buying it.)

Cat

I may be wrong, but I think the only copies available are like bootleg DVDs. Someone told me once that they haven't officially released it to DVD..something about all of the copywritten music that they use on the show or something. :-\\

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 08/12/07 at 1:49 am

I may be wrong, but I think the only copies available are like bootleg DVDs. Someone told me once that they haven't officially released it to DVD..something about all of the copywritten music that they use on the show or something. :-\\

According to Amazon it hasn't been released yet..you can get a couple "Best of" DVD's, but as far as whole seasons, best I can tell, they aren't readily available yet.

I loved the Wonder Years. I wish I had it to share with my own kids now.  :-[

Written By: McDonald on 08/13/07 at 11:00 am

This is one of my favourite shows of all time. I was addicted as a child and it's the only show I loved so much that I wept at the final episode (granted, I was young).

Written By: McDonald on 08/13/07 at 11:04 am

The DVDs are available online for about $80 USD/CAN for the full series. I'm not sure if they're bootlegged, but they're sold by several sites and seem at least semi-legit. Do a Google search.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/13/07 at 11:23 am

The DVDs are available online for about $80 USD/CAN for the full series. I'm not sure if they're bootlegged, but they're sold by several sites and seem at least semi-legit. Do a Google search.

I did do a Google search which is why I mentioned that it was available. I didn't click on any of the sites but I saw a lot of sites having it on DVD.

Cat

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/14/07 at 11:46 pm

The Simpsons did a little parody of the Wonder Years in the second season where Bart, Milhouse, and Martin chip in to buy the very first Radioactive Man comic book, with the Daniel Stern voiceover.  :)

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/21/07 at 8:01 am

I love The Wonder Years.  I remember when it first came out.  I watched it even with the syndication.  I had Jungle Fever when it came to Fred Savage.  He was FINE!  Too bad he's married.

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/21/07 at 10:30 am

I loved the Wonder Years. I dont have cable but it used to come on ION TV(used to be called Pax) My girls loved it !!! They didnt know that it is an old show. The first season is great !!!

Check for new replies or respond here...