inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: UK Chart Hits of the 80s

Written By: whistledog on 08/13/07 at 3:49 am

So my quest for 80s hits continues, and now I am looking to the UK chart for more 80s songs that I don't already have

It's amazing the gems that you can find outside (and inside) of the Top 40 charts.  Here's a list of the latest bunch I've found.  Anyone know of these ? ...

Rah Band - Falcon
Blue Rondo A'La Turk - Me and Mr. Sanchez
John Foxx - Europe (After the Rain)
Bardo - One Step Further
Rah Band - Perfumed Garden
Blue Rondo A'La Turk - Klactoveesedstein
Gary Byrd and the GB Experience - The Crown (featuring Stevie Wonder)
King Kurt - Destination Zululand
Chill Fac-Torr - Twist (Round and Round)
Rah Band - Messages From the Stars
Steve Harvey - Tonight
Vicious Pink - Cccan't You See
Pallas - Shock Treatment
Pallas - Eyes in the Night
Cool Notes - Spend the Night
Cool Notes - In Your Car
Sal Solo - Music and You
Rah Band - Are You Satisfied?
Age of Chance - Kiss
Joan Armatrading - Kind Words (and A Real Good Heart)
Big Bam Boo - Fell Off A Mountain
Joan Armatrading - Living For You
Big Bam Boo - Shooting From My Heart

My quest for more continues ...

Subject: Re: UK Chart Hits of the 80s

Written By: Paul on 08/13/07 at 5:03 am

Some wild obscurities there, Jason... :o

I know (or at least have heard of) most up until 1985...then old age crept in!

You may be interested to know that the Gary Byrd effort was only released on 12" at the time (such was its length)...

Blue Rondo (the poor man's Modern Romance) never hit the big time, but a few of their number did with Matt Bianco...

...and depending on your source, the Cool Notes' 'In Your Car' may not actually be the 'hit' version, as it was remixed ever-so slightly (in fact, the only version of this I've heard is off a disc-dub)...

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/07 at 5:43 am

So my quest for 80s hits continues, and now I am looking to the UK chart for more 80s songs that I don't already have

Blue Rondo A'La Turk - Me and Mr. Sanchez

Was this base on Mozart, I am trying to remember it?

Written By: Paul on 08/13/07 at 5:48 am

Was this base on Mozart, I am trying to remember it?

No, that 'Blue Rondo' was a song by Dave Brubeck, the noted jazz muso...

This group was actually called 'Blue Rondo', after that song...

Written By: whistledog on 08/13/07 at 11:49 am

You may be interested to know that the Gary Byrd effort was only released on 12" at the time (such was its length)...

I guess that would explain why it's 10:36 in length ;D

Blue Rondo (the poor man's Modern Romance) never hit the big time, but a few of their number did with Matt Bianco...

They do sound a bit like Modern Romance.  When I listen to 'Mr Sanchez', I keep thinking they are gonna break into a chorus of 'Ay Ay Ay Ay Moosey' :D

...and depending on your source, the Cool Notes' 'In Your Car' may not actually be the 'hit' version, as it was remixed ever-so slightly (in fact, the only version of this I've heard is off a disc-dub)...

This one is a mystery yes.  The crappy mp3 quality makes me believe it was ripped from a 12" single perhaps (It's 5:08 in length)

Written By: Paul on 08/13/07 at 1:55 pm

I guess that would explain why it's 10:36 in length ;D

There may have been an edited version for the radio stations (or the DJs made have faded the thing out early!)

They do sound a bit like Modern Romance.  When I listen to 'Mr Sanchez', I keep thinking they are gonna break into a chorus of 'Ay Ay Ay Ay Moosey' :D

There was a proliferation of these type of groups in the early 80s, all with varying degrees of success...

Animal Nightlife made one or two good songs...Working Week was another band of that style...

This one is a mystery yes.  The crappy mp3 quality makes me believe it was ripped from a 12" single perhaps (It's 5:08 in length)

There is a crystal-clear version out there somewhere, which must be from a CD...but it's the 'unremixed' version, which sounds somewhat flat...

Another impossible-to-get-hold-of one is Wham's US Remix of 'Wham Rap', which became their second UK hit...most compilations use the LP version, the original single mix, or the re-hash from 1986...

Written By: whistledog on 08/13/07 at 2:06 pm

Animal Nightlife made one or two good songs...Working Week was another band of that style...

Ah yes, Animal Nightlife.  'Love is Just the Great Pretender'.  Interesting song!

Another impossible-to-get-hold-of one is Wham's US Remix of 'Wham Rap', which became their second UK hit......

First time I saw the video for that, I was ready to sing along, but the lyrics were not the way I knew them ;D

Another real obscure one I forgot I had ..
Iko Iko - Natasha

I've actually got the 45 of this one.  Not as catchy as The Belle Stars or The Dixie Cups, but for it's real obscurity, I sort of like it best!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/13/07 at 2:12 pm

I've only heard of one of the artists mentioned above...

Written By: nally on 08/13/07 at 2:14 pm

Me too...namely Joan Armatrading.

However, I do recognize one other name: Steve Harvey. I'm pretty sure he's a different Steve Harvey than the one I'm familiar with, though.

Written By: Paul on 08/13/07 at 2:16 pm

Iko Iko - Natasha

I've actually got the 45 of this one.  Not as catchy as The Belle Stars or The Dixie Cups, but for it's real obscurity, I sort of like it best!

Yes, that doesn't crop up on hardly anything these days...probably not hard to understand why!

She has a myspace page (tap 'Myspace Natasha England' into Google) which has a pretty nice copy but only on stream...

She had the jump on the Belle Stars by managing to release her version first, but the Belles had the last laugh when their version appeared in 'Rain Man' and they copped the US hit...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/13/07 at 2:25 pm

Iko Iko - Natasha

I like Dr. John's version of 'Iko Iko'...

Written By: Paul on 08/13/07 at 2:26 pm

I've only heard of one of the artists mentioned above...

No shame in that, young Karen...most of these songs and acts are nearly 'off the scale' obscure!  :o

However, I do recognize one other name: Steve Harvey. I'm pretty sure he's a different Steve Harvey than the one I'm familiar with, though.

Probably...this Steve Harley is a Scotsman, who found most of his fame behind the scenes as a session man/producer, but found the time to record a few tracks of his own...mostly 'big in the clubs', as they say...

Written By: nally on 08/13/07 at 2:29 pm

No shame in that, young Karen...most of these songs and acts are nearly 'off the scale' obscure!  :o

Probably...this Steve Harley is a Scotsman, who found most of his fame behind the scenes as a session man/producer, but found the time to record a few tracks of his own...mostly 'big in the clubs', as they say...

Wait, did you say Steve HarLey? I read the name in the 1st post as Steve Harvey. Still, he's obviously not the same guy as the comedian/actor who is popular in the States.

Written By: whistledog on 08/13/07 at 2:30 pm

She has a myspace page (tap 'Myspace Natasha England' into Google) which has a pretty nice copy but only on stream...

Man, that's awesome.  That stream is better quality than what I got.  Luckily I know ways to steal streaming files.  Technology is a womderful thing ;D

Me too...namely Joan Armatrading.

Yes, that's a different Steve Harvey yes.  This 80s Steve Harvey never sang 'When the Funk Hits the Fan' ;D

Joan was a one hit wonder in the US Hot 100 with the minor 1983 hit 'Drop the Pilot', but it's accompanying album 'The Key' was in the Top 40.  She actually had several charting albums in the US in both the 70s and 80s

I like Dr. John's version of 'Iko Iko'...

I didn't even know he did one.  His voice would sound great on that.  One of my favourite songs by Dr. John was 'New Looks' which appeared in the film 'European Vacation'.  A long forgotten song that seems to be not found anywhere.  Over 5 years later, and I'm still trying to find it lol

Wait, did you say Steve HarLey? I read the name in the 1st post as Steve Harvey. Still, he's obviously not the same guy as the comedian/actor who is popular in the States.

There is a Steve Harley and a Steve Harvey.  Unsimilar singers with similar names, both no relation to Steve "King of Comedy" Harvey

Written By: Paul on 08/13/07 at 2:36 pm

Ah! You noticed the 'deliberate' typo, Jeff...well spotted!  :-is Steve Harvey...Steve Harley is another musician entirely...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/13/07 at 2:39 pm

I didn't even know he did one.  His voice would sound great on that.

Yep, he did!  

I can't remember the year exactly, but it would've been sometime in the 1970's...

One of my favourite songs by Dr. John was 'New Looks' which appeared in the film 'European Vacation'.  A long forgotten song that seems to be not found anywhere.  Over 5 years later, and I'm still trying to find it lol

I've never heard that one... ???

Written By: Henk on 08/13/07 at 2:41 pm

Gary Byrd and the GB Experience - The Crown (featuring Stevie Wonder)
Cool Notes - Spend the Night
Joan Armatrading - Kind Words (and A Real Good Heart)

I know these three...although only two of these three made Dutch Top 40.

"The Crown" hit #30 in 1983 (I think he owed this largely to the success of Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five, who had a similar sound).
"Spend the Night" reached #14. I'm still having a hard time believing their British, with those dreadful accents... :-\\
"Kind Words (and a Real Good Heart)" never even made bubbling under section, but I have the 12".  :)

Joan Armatrading did have a #15 hit over here in 1980 though, with "Rosie".

Written By: Paul on 08/13/07 at 2:46 pm

"The Crown" hit #30 in 1983 (I think he owed this largely to the success of Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five, who had a similar sound).

And also the Stevie Wonder involvement (he co-wrote and sang on it) may have helped!

"Spend the Night" reached #14. I'm still having a hard time believing their British, with those dreadful accents... :-\\

That's what you get for trying too hard to sound 'American'... ;)

Written By: Henk on 08/13/07 at 2:48 pm

And also the Stevie Wonder involvement (he co-wrote and sang on it) may have helped!

No doubt, but it doesn't make it a better record. ;)

That's what you get for trying too hard to sound 'American'... ;)

So that's what it's supposed to be... ;D I've always mistook it for French. :D

Written By: whistledog on 08/13/07 at 2:57 pm

Yep, he did!  

I can't remember the year exactly, but it would've been sometime in the 1970's...

I've never heard that one... ???

It was in the scene where The Griswolds are in Rome trying on clothes.  It was/is seemingly highly requested despite never becoming a single ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hUy6QoCxVw

Written By: Paul on 08/13/07 at 3:01 pm

No doubt, but it doesn't make it a better record. ;)

Sure doesn't (IMO, it outstays its welcome by about 10 minutes!), but SW was huge at the time and any involvement by him was guaranteed to make it a hit!

So that's what it's supposed to be... ;D I've always mistook it for French. :D

Whatever it was meant to be, they had trouble pulling it off!  :P

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/13/07 at 3:03 pm

It was in the scene where The Griswolds are in Rome trying on clothes.  It was/is seemingly highly requested despite never becoming a single ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hUy6QoCxVw

It's not bad!  :)

Written By: Henk on 08/13/07 at 3:05 pm

I noticed you mentioned a lot of RAH Band songs, but not the one I'm most familiar with: "Clouds Across the Moon"

Maybe you already know it, maybe you've missed it...  ???

Anyway..."RAH" stands for Richard A. Hewson, a British composer who also had a fair share of success in the 1970s I believe. But I bet you knew that already...

Written By: Gis on 08/13/07 at 3:06 pm

Bardo were a Eurovision entry, I loved that song!

Pallas!!! I didn't even know they got into the charts! They were a prog Rock band and I have a couple of their albums. The SEntinal is a great album. They recently reformed if I remember rightly...............

Written By: Paul on 08/13/07 at 3:07 pm

I noticed you mentioned a lot of RAH Band songs, but not the one I'm most familiar with: "Clouds Across the Moon"

Good grief...uber-'corny', that record...'intergalactic operator' indeed!  :P

Written By: whistledog on 08/13/07 at 3:15 pm

Sure doesn't (IMO, it outstays its welcome by about 10 minutes!), but SW was huge at the time and any involvement by him was guaranteed to make it a hit!

This is true ...  

Chaka Khan's biggest hit 'I Feel For You', featured the solo harmonica stylings of Mr. Wonder

He also did Harmonica on 'I Guess That's Why They Call it the Blues', which was Elton John's first UK Top 5 hit of the 80s

More Harmonica work on Eurythmics' 'There Must Be An Angel' gave them their only UK #1 hit

And his appearance on 'That's What Friends Are For' helped give Dionne Warwick her biggest hit to date, only her second #1 hit in the States

He also played Harmonica on 'Nightingales' by Prefab Sprout.  It never made it as a single, but the album 'From Langley Park to Memphis' was Prefab Sprout's most successful (non greatest hits) album

:D

Written By: whistledog on 08/13/07 at 3:16 pm

Anyway..."RAH" stands for Richard A. Hewson, a British composer who also had a fair share of success in the 1970s I believe. But I bet you knew that already...

I didn't list that one as it was their biggest (and best remembered) hit.  Quite catchy, very cheesy, all the things needed to make an 80s song :D

Written By: Henk on 08/13/07 at 4:19 pm

Good grief...uber-'corny', that record...'intergalactic operator' indeed!  :P

I didn't say I liked it, did I...? ::)

Now let's see...UK, 1980's...these spring to mind:

Fadeaway - Loz Netto's Bzar (a favorite of mine, that hit #25 in Dutch Top 40 in 1983. Here's the video. Sorry about the poor quality)
Come Back - Mighty Wah!
Sinful - Pete Wylie
Forgotten Town - Christians (the video)
Words - Christians (their best song ever, IMHO -  and a lengthy video to accompany it)

Written By: whistledog on 08/13/07 at 4:44 pm

Now let's see...UK, 1980's...these spring to mind:

Fadeaway - Loz Netto's Bzar (a favorite of mine, that hit #25 in Dutch Top 40 in 1983. Here's the video. Sorry about the poor quality)
Come Back - Mighty Wah!
Sinful - Pete Wylie
Forgotten Town - Christians (the video)
Words - Christians (their best song ever, IMHO -  and a lengthy video to accompany it)

I know all those 8)

I really enjoy the music of Pete Wylie and the Mighty Wah! (over here, thjey were just called Wah!)  To me, 'Come Back' always evokes great sadness for it's lyrics: "Come Back, i'm willing to try, come back.  Don't let time go by ...".  Nonetheless, I still really enjoy it! 

I agree on 'Words' being The Christians best song!  Over here, they had 1 hit with 'The Bottle'

That Loz Netto track is great!  It was a very minor hit in the US.  Never charted in Canada :(

Written By: Paul on 08/13/07 at 4:55 pm

You didn't need to...just mentioning the thing is enough to make me want to hurl!  :P

Anyway let's have some real and highly enjoyable corn...

Massive all over Europe, bar Britain...where it struggled to make the Top 50...a real shame!

All together now...Oh, Oh, O-O-Oh!

Written By: whistledog on 08/13/07 at 5:24 pm

You didn't need to...just mentioning the thing is enough to make me want to hurl!  :P

Massive all over Europe, bar Britain...where it struggled to make the Top 50...a real shame!

Dang, that's just so cheesy, I love it! ;D
Why is it Eurodisco artists always have really corny dancing in their videos?

This one still makes me chuckle ;D

Written By: Paul on 08/13/07 at 5:38 pm

This one still makes me chuckle ;D

Good Lord! A 'Hits 10' video!  :D

This was a 'sleeper' for most of the back half of 1988, it eventually broke in early '89...

Only ever-so bombastic, wouldn't you say?  ;)

'My Love' was a minor British hit (undeservedly so), so why not 'freak out' with the lads and Mad Lizzie?  :D

Mad Lizzie? Who she?

She was the 'keep fit' lady on British breakfast TV, although she sounds like she was on her last legs by the time 'The Boys' finished with her!

Written By: whistledog on 08/13/07 at 5:45 pm

Good Lord! A 'Hits 10' video!  :D

This was a 'sleeper' for most of the back half of 1988, it eventually broke in early '89...

Only ever-so bombastic, wouldn't you say?  ;)

'My Love' was a minor British hit (undeservedly so), so why not 'freak out' with the lads and Mad Lizzie?  :D

Mad Lizzie? Who she?

She was the 'keep fit' lady on British breakfast TV, although she sounds like she was on her last legs by the time 'The Boys' finished with her!

Hits (tape) 10 was where I first ever heard Requiem.  Found the cassette at a yard sale in the early 90s and Requiem was just so cheesy, I loved it.  My cassette is buried, but I believe it also had Pat and Mick 'I Haven't Stopped Dancing Yet' :D

LOL That exercise with The London Boys is something else.  They certainly seem to enjoy dancing.  Wasn't 'My Love' on the Monster Hits album?  I know LB had a song on there.  Again, my cassette of it is buried lol

Written By: Paul on 08/13/07 at 5:57 pm

Hits (tape) 10 was where I first ever heard Requiem.  Found the cassette at a yard sale in the early 90s and Requiem was just so cheesy, I loved it.  My cassette is buried, but I believe it also had Pat and Mick 'I Haven't Stopped Dancing Yet' :D

Sadly, there's always a downside to things... :(

Mind you, it did contain 'Bring Me Edelweiss' and the ubiquitous (for the time!) Kon-Kan, so it wasn't all bad... :)

LOL That exercise with The London Boys is something else.  They certainly seem to enjoy dancing.  Wasn't 'My Love' on the Monster Hits album?  I know LB had a song on there.  Again, my cassette of it is buried lol

Yep...'Monster Hits' (or 'Hits 11' as we purists like to call it!)

I think someone really should have warned that Lizzie woman before she attempted this...I mean, these guys were professionals (and probably half her age!)

Written By: Henk on 08/13/07 at 11:55 pm

I don't know if this was intentional or not...but this just happens to be a Dutch recording, from the ever so popular tv program "Countdown" (note the Dutch subtitles).  The show was recorded live, and just about everybody wanted to be there. Of course, that was before MTV and music videos really took control of the music scene...

Written By: Paul on 08/14/07 at 3:58 am

I don't know if this was intentional or not...but this just happens to be a Dutch recording, from the ever so popular tv program "Countdown" (note the Dutch subtitles).  The show was recorded live, and just about everybody wanted to be there. Of course, that was before MTV and music videos really took control of the music scene...

Totally unintentional, Henk...it just happened to be the first YouTube clip I came across...

Mind you, I had a feeling the subtitles were Dutch...but it's purely academic with whatever language one speaks...all you need to know is the title and 'Oh, Oh, O-O-Oh!'

Many fond memories of holidaying in Ibiza (before it became hip 'n trendy) with that one!  ;)

Written By: whistledog on 08/14/07 at 3:51 pm

Just got a whole bunch more ...

Hey DJ - World Famous Supreme Team
Flaming Sword - The Care
Secrets - Fiat Lux
Punish Me With Kisses - The Glove
Independence Day - The Comsat Angels
I Can't Let You Go - Haywoode
Collapsing New People - Fad Gadget

Y'know, I had totally forgotten Malcolm McLaren did 'Hey DJ'.  I am a little surprised to see it didn't make the Top 40.  The 90s version by Lighter Shade of Brown was the big seller over here.  Mariah Carey sampled it in one of her songs as well .. 'Honey' I believe it was

Written By: Paul on 08/14/07 at 4:04 pm

Y'know, I had totally forgotten Malcolm McLaren did 'Hey DJ'.  I am a little surprised to see it didn't make the Top 40.  The 90s version by Lighter Shade of Brown was the big seller over here.  Mariah Carey sampled it in one of her songs as well .. 'Honey' I believe it was

Malcy had involvement in this?

I never knew that...I just thought the 'group' had branched out on their own on this...

The Care featured Ian Broudie before he found greater fame with The Lightning Seeds...

The Comsat Angels were almost permanent fixtures of the 'glossy music mags', but never translated this exposure to record sales...

'I Can't Let You Go' (Sharon Haywoode, what happened to her?) is one of those songs that had a lot of airplay and probably a lot of people could recognise the tune, but the chart placing proved otherwise... :-\\

I think you've near-enough collared every known British 80s hit, Jason!  :o

Written By: whistledog on 08/14/07 at 4:21 pm

Malcy had involvement in this?

I never knew that...I just thought the 'group' had branched out on their own on this...

It's on one of his albums.  McLaren had some good songs.  It's a shame he only hit with 'Madame Butterfly' here in Canada :(

I think you've near-enough collared every known British 80s hit, Jason!  :o

I am closing in on the Top 40, excluding ones just so bad it's painful (ie: Keith Harris and Orville) or ones that embarrasingly I enjoy (ie: The Chicken Song) :-[

You guys had some interesting songs in the UK chart.  Weirdest one yet I've heard is 'O Superman'.  I can't even listen past the first minute lol

Written By: Paul on 08/14/07 at 4:27 pm

It's on one of his albums.  McLaren had some good songs.  It's a shame he only hit with 'Madame Butterfly' here in Canada :(

He certainly brought some colour into the proceedings with some of his stuff...

I am closing in on the Top 40, excluding ones just so bad it's painful (ie: Keith Harris and Orville) or ones that embarrasingly I enjoy (ie: The Chicken Song) :-anywhere near the 'killer' trio of 1986...

Anita Dobson - 'Anyone Can Fall In Love'
The Banned - 'Somethimng Outa Nothing' (should have been banned, IMO!)
Grange Hill Cast - 'Just Say No' (anti-drug song, which was enough to get you started on the stuff!)

All these were TV spin-offs and quite successful here...but just don't go there!

(Okay, you may already have...don't say you weren't warned!)

You guys had some interesting songs in the UK chart.  Weirdest one yet I've heard is 'O Superman'.  I can't even listen past the first minute lol

Not bad going...I have trouble getting that far!

Believe me, for every 'interesting' song, there's at least three that aren't!

Written By: whistledog on 08/14/07 at 4:49 pm

Just don't go anywhere near the 'killer' trio of 1986...

Anita Dobson - 'Anyone Can Fall In Love'
The Banned - 'Somethimng Outa Nothing' (should have been banned, IMO!)
Grange Hill Cast - 'Just Say No' (anti-drug song, which was enough to get you started on the stuff!)

I downloaded 'Just Say No' a long time ago, and it was terrible indeed.  Some British rock book I read praised it, so I gave it a listen, and I was sorry I did.  I think I'll steer clear of those other two ;D

Written By: Paul on 08/14/07 at 4:53 pm

I downloaded 'Just Say No' a long time ago, and it was terrible indeed.  Some British rock book I read praised it, so I gave it a listen, and I was sorry I did.  I think I'll steer clear of those other two ;D

Whatever rock book you've got there...burn it!  :P

You have made a wise decision on the other two, believe me!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/15/07 at 3:11 pm

Whatever rock book you've got there...burn it!  :P

You have made a wise decision on the other two, believe me!

Ahem! I have the album on vinyl

Written By: whistledog on 08/15/07 at 5:21 pm

Ahem! I have the album on vinyl

Did you buy it for the cause?  I assume proceeds for copies of it sold went to charity

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/15/07 at 5:21 pm

Did you buy it for the cause?  I assume proceeds for copies of it sold went to charity
Brought it yes, but in a charity shop very cheap.

Check for new replies or respond here...