inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Family Ties - Death of a Grocer

Written By: dcs84 on 08/15/07 at 7:09 am

I was watching an early episode of Family Ties tonight (I recently purchased the Complete first season) and this scene transpired where Alex tells his boss, Mr Adler, the owner of a 'mum and pop' grocery store, that he has taken a job at a large chain supermarket.  It is raining outside and Mr Adler helps Alex on with his coat and touches his cheek and wishes him luck in his new job, Alex gives this sad, compassionate look at Mr Adler.  Well I just started to cry (I'm not being silly or facetious, although traditionally I write 'tongue in cheek'), I actually replayed the scene it was so touching that 3 second encounter and in that blip I saw a changing world, where the lowest common denominator wins the day and tradition and warmth is replaced by sterility and change.  And it made me sad.

Subject: Re: Family Ties - Death of a Grocer

Written By: whistledog on 08/15/07 at 9:39 am

That was sort of a sad episode yes.  Skippy was happy to fill in, but was Mr. Adler ever happy when Alex came back

Subject: Re: Family Ties - Death of a Grocer

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/15/07 at 7:56 pm

The look on both Mr. Adler's and Alex's faces made me cry a bit, too. It was a sad but touching episode. I was so glad when Alex came back to work for Mr. Adler again. I can't think of anybody who would want to be referred to as just a number at that big chain store Alex went to.

Check for new replies or respond here...