inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tina Turner's cover songs what do you think about them:

Written By: tv on 08/23/07 at 4:16 pm

What does anybody think about Tina Turners covering other artists songs back in the day? She did an unbelieveable cover of Al Green's "Lets Stay Together" I mean her cover of the song was just better than Green's version's I think. I think she also she did a cover of John Waite's "Missing You" which was a pretty good cover song. What does everybody think about Tina covering these 2 songs by Al Green and John Waite?

Subject: Re: Tina Turner's cover songs what do you think about them:

Written By: Henk on 08/23/07 at 4:31 pm

What does anybody think about Tina Turners covering other artists songs back in the day? She did an unbelieveable cover of Al Green's "Lets Stay Together" I mean her cover of the song was just better than Green's version's I think. I think she also she did a cover of John Waite's "Missing You" which was a pretty good cover song. What does everybody think about Tina covering these 2 songs by Al Green and John Waite?

For a moment I was afraid you were gonna mention her cover of "Help" - which was godawful. :P

"Let's Stay Together" and "Missing You" are okay.

Let's not forget Tina also did cover versions of "Addicted To Love" (Robert Palmer), "It Takes Two" <with Rod Stewart> (or. Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston) and "Disco Inferno" (Trammps). These are all bearable recordings, but not my favorite versions of those songs.

Written By: whistledog on 08/23/07 at 4:33 pm

I never really liked her cover of 'Missing You' only because I thought it was weird hearing a woman sing it.  I did like her version of 'Let's Stay Together'.  Not as good as Al Green's classic, but a worthy rival indeed 8)

Written By: KKay on 08/23/07 at 5:15 pm

I like her version of "cuts like a knife"

Written By: Paul on 08/23/07 at 5:26 pm

I'll whisper it, but I actually prefer her cover of 'Let's Stay Together'...that's not to say that the Reverend's version isn't a splendid effort...

From that first LP of hers...'I Can't Stand The Rain' was passable, but as Henk says, 'Help' was, er...beyond help... :P

(Nothing wrong with her performance, but it just doesn't work when the song's taken at that pace!)

And of course, one of her 80s songs was covered by another act which had a big hit out of it...'Don't Turn Around' by Aswad (or Ace Of Base, if you must!)...it was originally released as the flip to 'Typical Male'...

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/24/07 at 3:00 am

My all time favorite Tina Turner cover is "Proud Mary" originally by Creedence Clearwater Revival.  I think her version is a million times better than theirs!  I'm always debating it with my husband and father in law who both love Creedence.  But come on!  She woke that song up!

Check for new replies or respond here...