inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your thoughts on Hall and Oates.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/29/07 at 5:10 pm

They're personally one of my favorite bands ("Private Eyes", "Out of Touch" and lots of others are so catchy). Yet despite all the recognizable hits they had, they seem to be underappreciated as a whole. Maybe it's because by the time Madonna, Prince and peak '80s artists like them came out, their sound and image was a little dated. They seem to define the 1981-1983 period better than anyone else. They did simple, innocent pop songs that were common in the very early MTV days.

Subject: Re: Your thoughts on Hall and Oates.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/29/07 at 5:13 pm

They're one of my husband's favorite artists...and I like them a lot myself (in fact, I got to see them in concert in 1997!)... 8)

Written By: KKay on 08/29/07 at 5:24 pm

I love them!  the songs were great and ooooooh that moustache!

Written By: whistledog on 08/29/07 at 5:44 pm

Hall and Oates are great.  I love all their songs.  Something I've mentioned before ... In Canada, we never got 'Family Man' as a single.  In place, 'Italian Girls' was the single, and was a Top 30 hit.  I don't know if this is true, but I believe this to have been because Mike Oldfield's original (which had been a Top 40 hit in Canada) was still popular at the time

Here's something that I don't believe the world outside of Canada got to see/hear ...

In 1986, John Oates produced and arranged an album called 'Small Victories' for a popular Canadian group called The Parachute Club.  The lead single 'Love is Fire' featured Oates on duet vocals, and it was a smash Top 40 hit in Canada.  He also appears in the video ...

http://www.ifilm.com/video/2791404

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/29/07 at 6:35 pm

They were never one of my favorite groups...but they did have some good tunes.

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/29/07 at 7:46 pm

I love these guys. I thought they made some legitimately good music in the 80's. I love their songs in the 70's too.

Written By: woops on 08/29/07 at 8:21 pm

They had good songs.

I saw the video for "Out Of Touch" on "Soul Train"*  last week.  :)

*= "Best of Soul Train" episodes are on syndication. Mostly episodes from the 1970's & 1980s

Written By: Zeb on 08/29/07 at 9:13 pm

" Adult Education" is my vote for their best song.

Written By: robby76 on 08/30/07 at 2:39 am

Love them! To be honest I don't know their full repertoire, but I know I absolutely adore "I Can't Go For That" and "Private Eyes". "Maneater" was good at the time too.

On a seperate note I also loved Darryl Hall's 90s comeback hit "I'm In A Philly Mood".

Written By: Chasey on 08/30/07 at 4:07 am

They are indeed underrated, but I do feel that they are more popular than might first appear to be the case.  Their music without question stands the test of time, and I think that as a duo they had one of the best vocal harmonies.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/30/07 at 11:33 am

I like H&O alot. "Private Eyes" and "Kiss on my List" are two of my favorites.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/30/07 at 12:01 pm

They're personally one of my favorite bands ("Private Eyes", "Out of Touch" and lots of others are so catchy). Yet despite all the recognizable hits they had, they seem to be underappreciated as a whole. Maybe it's because by the time Madonna, Prince and peak '80s artists like them came out, their sound and image was a little dated. They seem to define the 1981-1983 period better than anyone else. They did simple, innocent pop songs that were common in the very early MTV days.

They are indeed underrated, but I do feel that they are more popular than might first appear to be the case.  Their music without question stands the test of time, and I think that as a duo they had one of the best vocal harmonies.

I like Hall and Oates.

As far as their popularity, the way I look at it, at the peak of their popularity (late 70's - around '82 or so) they may have at times been slightly over-hyped.  However, as the 80's wore on, their stock fell quickly, perhaps being stuck in the "has been" category before their time.  It's a shame because they continued (and still continue) to sound good.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/30/07 at 12:43 pm

I really dig "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do).

The very epitome of "blue-eyed soul."  ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/30/07 at 5:36 pm

I like Hall and Oates.

As far as their popularity, the way I look at it, at the peak of their popularity (late 70's - around '82 or so) they may have at times been slightly over-hyped.  However, as the 80's wore on, their stock fell quickly, perhaps being stuck in the "has been" category before their time.  It's a shame because they continued (and still continue) to sound good.

Come to think of it, that's an excellent point.

H20 seemed like it was their last typical sounding album with their strong R&B roots. Their later hits like "Adult Education" and "Out of Touch", as big as they were, seemed like they were incorporating edgier dance and arena rock elements, to "keep up with the times" for c. 1984. As a result, it ended up sounding a little dated. I once read a review of the Big Bam Boom album that called it streetwise dance music, which made sense to me.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/30/07 at 8:01 pm

They were never one of my favorite groups...but they did have some good tunes.

I'm with you there. 

My favorites:

Maneater
Family Man

Family Man Eater?

80 - 85 they were HUGE.  They were a pop music phenomenon!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/30/07 at 9:30 pm

I really like some of their songs alot, especially Private Eyes.

Written By: Banks on 09/01/07 at 6:24 am

I saw Hall and Oats as an impressionable 11 year old in 1982 or 1983 when they came to the Civic Theatre in Newcastle Australia!!!

At the time they were among my favorite bands.

I love:

One on One

Private Eyes (especially in concert...Those bright flashing lights!!!)

Kiss On My List

Rich Girl

She's Gone

...and OMG so many more!!!

Theyre amazing...And their live shows are simple, but perfect.

AN

Written By: Peggy Dishwasher on 09/01/07 at 6:01 pm

I still like them

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/01/07 at 6:04 pm

I love the song "You Make My Dreams Come True", but I'm not really familiar with them.

Written By: zcrito on 09/02/07 at 10:10 am

I liked most of their songs more when they were originally out than now. The appeal of many of them just didn't last with me.

For ones I don't mind hearing today would be

From the '70s
She's Gone (1976)
Rich Girl (1977)

From the '80s
I Can't Go For That (No Can Do) (1981)
Method of Modern Love (1985) ***

*** the favorite of the group.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/02/07 at 12:24 pm

I like them, especially "Private Eyes", "I Can't Go For That", "Kiss is On My List", and "Maneater".

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/02/07 at 6:18 pm

They are one of my favorite bands.  I still kick myself for having missed the opportunity to seeing them live.  They came to my small town where rarely anybody comes anymore.  I think I went to see Eric Clapton instead. (Still not a bad choice, but I should have went to both concerts)

Written By: WembleyBooberGobo on 09/02/07 at 8:24 pm

Hall and Oates are amazing singers. They have sooo many hits. I think they might have the most hits ever for a duo. They still tour. They still look awesome and sound awesome. I like alot of their solo work too. I think you can buy cds of their concerts off their website. I love them.

Written By: anthead on 09/06/07 at 6:03 pm

haha i like these guys. good singers.

i sing man eater in bars when my friends are trying to pick up girls.

Written By: Tiamat on 10/10/07 at 1:51 am

Saw them in Cleveland, Ohio during my senior year,1983.  Private Eyes tour. We all had front row seats.

Written By: zcrito on 10/10/07 at 5:36 pm

Saw them in Cleveland, Ohio during my senior year,1983.   Private Eyes tour. We all had front row seats.

Seeing H&O in 1983 and during their Private Eyes tour sounds like a very quintessential '80s event.
8)

Written By: nally on 02/17/09 at 11:16 pm

Yeah...they did seem to be overshadowed by other 80's performers. However, they were one of the most popular recording duos of the Rock Era.

I actually have some vague remembrances of hearing their music on the radio in the car as a youngster. I was in my single digits when they had most of their hits, so I may very well remember some of it...if at all. They had several great songs. I like "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)", "Private Eyes", and "Out of Touch" best.

Written By: robby76 on 02/17/09 at 11:32 pm

I heard "Kiss on my List" for the first time a few months back on the radio, so will add that to my previous list of loves. Nice summery track!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/17/09 at 11:49 pm

Daryl Hall has a show on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/user/LiveFromDarylsHouse

Hall and Oates reunited in December for their youtube performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7T0BjB4p3o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybzkJTCXF78 I Want Someone

Written By: whistledog on 02/18/09 at 8:49 am

more trivia:

Daryl Hall sings back-up on the 1984 hits 'Original Sin' by INXS and 'Swept Away' by Diana Ross

Written By: Midas on 02/18/09 at 8:49 am

I dig Hall and Oates.  Faves include "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)" and "Some Things Are Better Left Unsaid".  I also like Daryl Hall's "Dreamtime" from 1986.

I've recreated the Video Mix of "Out Of Touch" from the 12" versions (which includes "Dance On Your Knees") and it's been added to the playlist on Renegade Retro.  :)

Written By: johnny5alive on 02/18/09 at 11:27 am

i have most of their albums.......  on vinal  and recently bought the 3 cd set of their greatest hits!  they had lots of great music, and some good videos too!

Written By: 90steen on 02/18/09 at 1:04 pm

Not my type of music really, was never into rock music. But they're excellent.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/19/09 at 5:48 pm

It's interesting, they have a longer career as a duo, than Simon and Garfunkle and The Everly Brothers, combined.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/19/09 at 10:13 pm

It's interesting, they have a longer career as a duo, than Simon and Garfunkle and The Everly Brothers, combined.

Hall and Oates had some great songs, but none of the does for me what "Sound of Silence" does.

Check for new replies or respond here...