inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 10 Best Videos from MTV's First Day

Written By: woops on 09/05/07 at 2:13 pm

Ten Best Videos from MTV's First Day

Overdue, but what the hey...

Video screen caps and commentary from site author on the link.

Subject: Re: 10 Best Videos from MTV's First Day

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/05/07 at 5:03 pm

I giggle at the author's complete naivete of popular music (only assuming his admissions are true). Damn his parents for raising him the way they did.  :D

Written By: zcrito on 09/06/07 at 5:19 pm

Wasn't MTV pay-per-view back in '81 ?

It's good to see some really early/obscure videos but most people probably didn't see MTV until a year or so later.

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/07/07 at 9:46 am

Wasn't MTV pay-per-view back in '81 ?

MTV was free with all basic cable systems who subscribed with them from the start.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/07/07 at 2:18 pm

Did MTV do anything to acknowledge it's 25 anniversary last year?

I would hope so, after all how weird would it be if Vh1 Classic paid more attention to it than MTV did :D

Written By: Class of 84 on 09/07/07 at 8:48 pm

Pretty nifty little web-site. I enjoyed the guy's commentary. ;D

Written By: rubix69 on 09/10/07 at 9:18 am

AWESOME!! Thanks for posting!  :)

Written By: ldivinag on 10/23/07 at 5:22 am

MTV was free with all basic cable systems who subscribed with them from the start.

i coulda sworn it was an "extra" channel you had to pay for, or part of a group of channels that were extra.

cause i remember a big deal riding the school bus when everyone was talking about how it was now "free"...

Written By: Timm on 10/24/07 at 2:17 pm

Did MTV do anything to acknowledge it's 25 anniversary last year?

I would hope so, after all how weird would it be if Vh1 Classic paid more attention to it than MTV did :D

They had a couple little specials, but nothing big or advertised. VH1(owned by MTV) did most of it, including having the original DJ's in to talk about the experience and the memories.

Written By: johnny5alive on 11/16/07 at 2:06 am

thanks for the flashback!  but it makes me sad.... to see the crap mtv does now!!  no muisc, just stupid reality crap! 8-P

Written By: star500 on 11/16/07 at 9:25 am

Here in Canada, we didn't get MTV until last year and it is all reality shows now anyways, not so much music videos. In Canada though, we have our own version of MTV called Much Music. It was a pretty cool channel for a long time. Now all they show is reality shows too though or rap videos.

Written By: Kenosha on 11/19/07 at 10:04 am

Maybe someone can answer this for me?
Why do all the music channels go away from music videos? FUSE used to play nothing but videos now they play movies and reality crap. And CMT is doing the same thing. Why is this?

Written By: Davester on 11/20/07 at 12:40 am

Maybe someone can answer this for me?
Why do all the music channels go away from music videos? FUSE used to play nothing but videos now they play movies and reality crap. And CMT is doing the same thing. Why is this?

My guess is that the music video is just not the novel medium it used to be, going the way of bottled milk deliveries.  Music videos are old hat...

The networks give the people what thay want, it's just business, but probably not what you and I want.  I've wondered, for some time, how successful a decades type network would be.  You know, pop culture, movies, music videos, game shows, news, retro commercials and other Americana spanning, let's say 60s through 80s.  The network being what VH1 and TV Land only begin to approach.  Seems to be a market for it, although a lesser one than for reality TV  go ;)...

Check for new replies or respond here...