inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Popular Music Videos You Think Are Overrated?

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/08/07 at 8:15 pm

This is something I've wondered about for awhile. I've watched alot of those countdown lists over the years that MTV and VH1 did until the early '00s, and they seem to have several they're almost guaranteed to pick, even if every list is a little different of course. As good as some of the songs are, I think their accompanying videos are overrated, probably because of the artist.

"Lucky Star", "Once in a Lifetime" and "Money For Nothing" (as good as it is, it's overplayed) are a few examples I can think of.

Subject: Re: Popular Music Videos You Think Are Overrated?

Written By: woops on 09/08/07 at 8:22 pm

"Jump" Van Halen, average video

"Boys Of Summer" Don Henley (No offense Marty McFly), I rather find it boring

"Every Breath You Take" The Police, OK though always thrown into the Top 20 "Greatest". The openining scene is good, but should be ranked lower.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/08/07 at 8:37 pm

"Jump" Van Halen, average video

"Boys Of Summer" Don Henley (No offense Marty McFly), I rather find it boring

"Every Breath You Take" The Police, OK though always thrown into the Top 20 "Greatest". The openining scene is good, but should be ranked lower.

Yeah, I agree about "Jump" being so-so. Despite their stage show and outfits, Van Halen never really seemed like a video band to the extent of doing concepts and storylines. Even if the few David Lee Roth solo ones were great. That one probably only cost a few hundred dollars to shoot.

I like "Every Breath You Take" but it probably could've been better. Especially since most of their videos were really creative. The black and white sillouette shots were creative, but the actual video is pretty much just a simple performance in a building.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree about "Boys of Summer". ;D

Written By: whistledog on 09/08/07 at 8:46 pm

I often notice alot of Prince videos making the top best lists, and I don't find his videos all that great.  Most of them involve him half naked touching himself.  Who wants to see that?  Not me

Very rarely do I agree with these music channels and their picks for Best and Worst Videos.  I was watching this one show and they listed 'You Give Love A Bad Name' by Bon Jovi as one of the best videos of 1986.  All that video was, contained the band performing live on a stage.  If that's what makes for a great music video, then I don't want to know what the worst is

Written By: woops on 09/08/07 at 8:52 pm

Agree with your comment about concert videos, though there's a few exceptions like Motley Crue "Home Sweet Home" with it's editing (also  Tommy Lee's facial expression when a fan was to flash or whatever) and the intro.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/08/07 at 9:28 pm

Yeah, I agree about "Jump" being so-so. Despite their stage show and outfits, Van Halen never really seemed like a video band to the extent of doing concepts and storylines. Even if the few David Lee Roth solo ones were great. That one probably only cost a few hundred dollars to shoot.

I liked the video for Hot For Teacher. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=b5t5GukrWOU

I guess any video with just the band or artist singing in the same (or different) place through out the entire video. Boring! (Live videos are different though. But only if the actually song is live)

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/09/07 at 9:04 am

i hate videos where they show excerpts from the artists last tour while the song plays.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/09/07 at 9:10 am

i hate videos where they show excerpts from the artists last tour while the song plays.

I think I know what you mean (although I can't think of any offhand) - that does seem kinda lazy.

One thing I noticed in alot of '80s videos which I always thought was cool, was they'd sometimes do a nod to a different video they filmed earlier. For example, in the very beginning of Billy Joel's "Uptown Girl", they show one of the gas station mechanics watching MTV, where "Tell Her About It" is playing.

Some were also compilations of other videos they'd done up to that point. Like when "Knocked Out" by Paula Abdul recharted in 1990, they just did a montage of her other videos.

Written By: whistledog on 09/09/07 at 11:02 am

One thing I noticed in alot of '80s videos which I always thought was cool, was they'd sometimes do a nod to a different video they filmed earlier. For example, in the very beginning of Billy Joel's "Uptown Girl", they show one of the gas station mechanics watching MTV, where "Tell Her About It" is playing.

I like that too.  In the video for 'Sussudio' by Phil Collins, you can see the family watching 'In hte Air Tonight' in the opening sequence LOL

Written By: woops on 09/09/07 at 2:05 pm

MTV 100 Greatest

Madonna's "Express Yourself" is a lame video and not even her best song  :P

Here's VH1's Top 100

Out of the two, I'd say MTV's slightly better.

Though "Thriller" is a groundbreaking video, many people, including myself, have their own #1...which I would put "Take On Me" as #1

...and tons of omissions

Written By: rubix69 on 09/10/07 at 7:16 am

Easy..Simple Minds 'Don't You Forget About Me'

I liked the movie, the song not so much

Check for new replies or respond here...