inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tony Carey

Written By: rubix69 on 09/10/07 at 7:22 am

Any fans of his here? I'm sure there is. I never knew he was with Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow. The song 'A Fine Fine Day' was/is SO great! I remember the video being played a lot. So many ppl made a fuss over Springsteen, who is good, but I prefer Carey's music a bit more, he never got the credit he deserved just IMHO. I also enjoyed his work with Planet P Project, well actually, he WAS Planet P from what I heard, not really a band.

Subject: Re: Tony Carey

Written By: whistledog on 09/10/07 at 10:04 am

He was in Planet P yes.  Their single 'Why Me' was a minor hit in the US chart.  As a solo artist, he had 4 hits in the US Hot 100, two top 40s with 'A Fine Fine Day' and 'The First Day of Summer'

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/10/07 at 12:01 pm

Any fans of his here? I'm sure there is. I never knew he was with Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow. The song 'A Fine Fine Day' was/is SO great! I remember the video being played a lot. So many ppl made a fuss over Springsteen, who is good, but I prefer Carey's music a bit more, he never got the credit he deserved just IMHO. I also enjoyed his work with Planet P Project, well actually, he WAS Planet P from what I heard, not really a band.

'A Fine Fine Day' came out when I was a senior in high school (1984), and to this day it's still one of my favorite songs... 8)

Written By: rubix69 on 09/10/07 at 12:13 pm

'A Fine Fine Day' came out when I was a senior in high school (1984), and to this day it's still one of my favorite songs...

Hehe, I was a Freshman  ;D

That song still rocks to this day. Sorry I never got to see him perform live

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/11/07 at 11:54 pm

Planet P "Why Me" is excellent for its sandpapery synth-work, its electro-reggae backbeat, and it's cheesy space age theme.
"A Fine Fine Day" was a great pop song, but when they made the video, Tony couldn't have looked less like the scion of gangsters; they don't wear long stringy heard halfway down their backs!
::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY6DJ5mJh7I
Wow!  I haven't seen this one in over 20 years!

YouTube also had "Why Me," but it got deleted.

Written By: rubix69 on 09/12/07 at 8:19 am

I saw the video on YouTube for 'Fine Fine Day' was a treat to see it again

Written By: Class of 84 on 09/14/07 at 7:36 pm

'A Fine Fine Day' came out when I was a senior in high school (1984), and to this day it's still one of my favorite songs... 8)

Same here, It is one of my "summer of 84" songs. I actually had the song on a cassett tape that I recorded off the radio for the longest time, but then it broke.  :\'(  He had another hit I remember from that year, "I won't be home tonight", that I like a lot also.

Written By: Class of 84 on 09/14/07 at 7:49 pm

Just finished watching his videos on YouTube, and man! Who says time machines don't exist? I was back in '84 for a few minutes.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/14/07 at 9:34 pm

Same here, It is one of my "summer of 84" songs. I actually had the song on a cassett tape that I recorded off the radio for the longest time, but then it broke.

F*CK! I hate when that happens!

I literally re-made all my radio-to-tape cassettes using my college radio station's library.  What I couldn't find there, I hunted down at flea markets. Years later I repeated the entire process with CD-Rs. 
;D

Check for new replies or respond here...