inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Thomas Dolby

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/14/07 at 8:33 pm

anyone else like Thomas Dolby?  I just got tickets for his next Boston appearance (a week from Monday)...

he gets written off incorrectly as a one hit wonder, but it really undersells the man who helped Foreigner out on album 4, and had several smaller hits besides "Blinded Me With Science".

Subject: Re: Thomas Dolby

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/14/07 at 9:23 pm

Hey, Thomas Dolby is awesome. 
"The Golden Age of Wireless" is one of the best New Wave albums. 

"Flying North" and "One of Our Submarines" are my favorites, with "Europa and the Pirate Twins" deserving an extra special mention.

Dolby went for a geeked-out style, which, in the highly visual '80s got him pegged as a novelty act.  "The Flat Earth" and "Aliens Ate My Buick" were dismissed by critics and flopped commercially.  Did any of the bother to listen to the songs themselves?  You know, chord structure, instrumentation, arrangment, rhythm, things like that.  "Aliens" was particularly over-the-top.  It even put me off.  A few years later, I grew to understand it better...

"Astronauts & Heretics" proved Dolby could do a straight singer-songwriter song as well as anybody.  "I Love You Goodbye" is top notch. 

"The Gate to the Mind's Eye" has some of his strongest material on it.  Once again, it was easy to write off as just a video game soundtrack without actually listening to it.  It had a great blend of pop songs and ambient soundscapes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Dolby
That photo makes him look too much like Dr. Evil.

Written By: woops on 09/15/07 at 12:16 am

I like "She Blinded Me With Science" & "Hyperactive"

Written By: whistledog on 09/15/07 at 12:35 am

Here in Canada, 'She Blinded Me With Science' topped the chart.  He also had a 2nd Top 40 with 'Hyperactive' and previously had just missed the Top 40 with 'Europa and the Pirate Twins'

He started his career as the keyboard player for Bruce Woolley and the Camera Club.  Their (original) 1979 version of 'Video Killed the Radio Star' was a Top 40 hit in Canada (in 1980).  It never charted in the US or UK, so I don't have any idea where else it charted.  Woolley's version is New Wave as compared to the Buggles' disco version, so if you LOVE new wave, give the Woolley version a listen.  You won't be disappointed!

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/15/07 at 1:27 pm

Here in Canada, 'She Blinded Me With Science' topped the chart.  He also had a 2nd Top 40 with 'Hyperactive' and previously had just missed the Top 40 with 'Europa and the Pirate Twins'

He started his career as the keyboard player for Bruce Woolley and the Camera Club.  Their (original) 1979 version of 'Video Killed the Radio Star' was a Top 40 hit in Canada (in 1980).  It never charted in the US or UK, so I don't have any idea where else it charted.  Woolley's version is New Wave as compared to the Buggles' disco version, so if you LOVE new wave, give the Woolley version a listen.  You won't be disappointed!

I've got the Wollery version on a compilation.  Until I read the wiki a couple days ago I never even realized Dolby was on it.

Written By: Step-chan on 09/16/07 at 9:38 pm

I like "She Blinded Me With Science" & "Hyperactive"

I've only heard "She Blinded Me With Science".

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/17/07 at 12:08 pm

I don't know his music that well, but his album "The Golden Age of Wireless" had some fine moments.  I liked many of the album cuts besides "She Blinded Me With Science" (which I bought as a 45 before getting access to the album).  I didn't follow his career carefully after that, though.

Written By: nally on 09/17/07 at 1:15 pm

I've only heard "She Blinded Me With Science".

Same here...after all, it was his only U.S. Top 40 hit, and if there were a poll on here, I'd vote for that one. ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...